remote desktop error, "connection was ended because of a n..

Hi,

I have a group of XPSP2 machines that I created from a single riprep image,
and they're all having the same problem. When attempting to connect to
those machines via RDP, I get the error, "The connection was ended because
of a network error. Please try connecting to the remote computer again."
This error occurs when attempting to establish the connection.

-> Remote desktop is enabled on the "server" machines.

-> The firewall is on, but configured with an exception for remote desktop
(via group policy). Enabling firewall logging shows the connections to
3389, they aren't being dropped.

-> The xp "server" machines can connect to the 2k3 servers with RDP
flawlessly.

Nothing funky going on, I just can't connect.

Any ideas?

TIA,

-Chris
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop error connection ended

    Chris

    Is there an error message?

    If not despite your log. I think it is a firewall problem

    --
    Uncle John

    Yep! Actually there was. I don't know why, but I didn't think about looking
    at the event logs until I read your message.

    The error was:
    The RDP protocol component "DATA ENCRYPTION" detected an error in the
    protocol stream and has disconnected the client.

    And the solution was:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323497&

    Thanks!

    "Uncle John" <unclejohn@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    > Chris
    >
    > Is there an error message?
    >
    > If not despite your log. I think it is a firewall problem
    >
    > --
    > Uncle John

    Chris,

    That is very good news. I had come across the DE problem a while ago but did
    not think of it.
    --
    Uncle John

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP