Athlon 2000+ with a 240watt power supply equals..?

Mag

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So umm if you had an athlon 2000 with 256 mb of ddr and a Geforce 4 ti4200 and chucked them all together with a motherboard connected up to a power supply of only 240w what would happen?

Mag

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well its just that thats what i did and when i turhned it on

it made a veyr unsettling noise and didn't do anything,.,

it was like a car trying to start....

the cpu fan was fine ibut the power supply seemed to keep restarting itself..

so i took all the new xomponents out and put the old onbes back thinking "stupid me i need a better psu..." but now the cd writer will nto accept any power and refuses to open and the hd refuses to load windows or do anything... crap...

so i want to know.. is this what usually would happen or have i stuffed up in a nother way also?

Mag

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes i know that but would it be normal to have your components get stuffed up because your psu was not up to scratch?

Absolute Bottom Line Minimum for what you're running 300WATTS

Safer at 350WATTS

No Problems at 400WATTS

AMD XP requires a Min of 300w,
Gf4 TI-4200 requires a Min of 300w,
Add a couple of cooling fans and you've got trouble, I would reccomend to get a 400W and be done with it, you didn't scrimp on the video card why scrimp on the power supply.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Mag

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah i know..

trouble is it was my dads pc

i bought an enermax psu for mine...

but i forgot about that small detail when i was setting up my dads pc...

oh well im about to plug his hd into my system and have a look at it and make hope its recoverable...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the components in the old system dont work now? i think the worst that happend is you blew the old psu.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You probably overloaded your power supply, a cheap one with no overload protection.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
It sounds like you've definitely killed your PSU but its unlikely you've damaged your other components unless the PSU put a surge through as it went!