windows installer "Screen" popping up

On my dell... windows xp home, suddenly a windows installer screen keeps
popping up before loading anything... Very annoying. What causes it, and
how do I get rid of it?
--
TeeGall

Have you tried contacting Dell?

"TeeGall" <nyrakkasan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On my dell... windows xp home, suddenly a windows installer screen keeps
> popping up before loading anything... Very annoying. What causes it, and
> how do I get rid of it?
> --
> TeeGall

Thank You Jone Doe... I will do that. Thought I could solve it, but that may
be the best way.
--
TeeGall

TeeGall wrote:

> On my dell... windows xp home, suddenly a windows installer
> screen keeps popping up before loading anything... Very
> annoying. What causes it, and how do I get rid of it?
Hi,

Most likely it is Windows Installer doing an on-demand installation...

See "Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?"
in the FAQ at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

To access the Application Log in the Event viewer,
run the following command from Start/Run:

eventvwr.msc

If you are running Windows XP (or have access to a Windows XP computer,
you can copy MSIZAP.EXE over to your Win2k computer):

If a product code is listed there and this product is not really installed,
MSIZAP.EXE is maybe able to fix this issue, it is included as a utility in
the support tools installation package (on your WinXP CD) with some additional
documentation included in suptools.chm (installed by suptools.msi).

It will remove all Windows Installer entries for a product key that you feed
it with.

Note that if MSIZAP.EXE is used incorrectly it can affect other applications
on the machine.

Based on the documentation in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/msizap_exe.asp

this is what you should run:

msizap T {product code}

an example:
msizap T {FFB37294-1155-17D3-A809-0250BAAFB1AB}

Alternatively, for a more user friendly interface to MSIZAP.EXE ,
take a look at this article:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Thank you Torgeir Bakken.... I will try your suggestions asap... will let you
know what happens. Can't do it today... time limit on me.
--
TeeGall