Problems using Linksys PSUS4 with Laserjet 1020

Does anyone know if Laserjet 1020 is incompatible with the Linksys 1020
print server? I've tried now for several days to get this up and running.

According to Linksys support they haven't any information about such a
problem.

At worst, the setup would probably be pretty tricky. That's the difficulty in
using non-HP printer networking products. The LaserJet 1020 is pretty low end,
IIRC, and may impose added difficulties in network setup. HP has followed a
conscious strategy with inkjets and laserjets making it difficult, not
impossible, to network and share the low end printers... Ben Myers

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:11:19 +0200, "Nikolaj Ravn Hansen" <news(at)niko.dk>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if Laserjet 1020 is incompatible with the Linksys 1020
>print server? I've tried now for several days to get this up and running.
>
>According to Linksys support they haven't any information about such a
>problem.

HP supports networked printing mainly with its higher end laser printers, i.e.
the 2000-series, 4000-series, 8000-series. IIRC, the LaserJet 1300 is supported
also, via an HP brand printer server that attaches to its USB port.

Although HP may not support the 1000 series as networked printers, this does not
mean that it is impossible to do. It simply means that HP will not help you
ever by telling you how to set it up or by giving you troubleshooting help if
and when the printer does not work correctly.

And HP will NEVER support 3rd party printer servers like the Linksys.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:34:30 +0200, "Nikolaj Ravn Hansen" <news(at)niko.dk>
wrote:

>According to
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd04762&dlc=en&lang=en
>
>the 1000 series does not support network printing through printer servers.
>Does this also apply to other series from HP?

I have a PSUS4 and a Laserjet 1020 printer.
The HP Laserjet 1020 Printer's USB connection draws more milliamps
that the USB specification allows and as such the PSUS4 cannot supply
enough current for both itself and the HP1020. The result is that the
PSUS4 falls into a current starved mode and will not operate properly.
A similar situation is seen on my Dell Dimension PC. The built-in
USB ports will supply the HP1020 alone just fine, but if there are
any other USB devices (HP Scanjet 3970) then nothing operates well.
The fix for the PC was a powered USB hub. I haven't tried a powered
hub with the PSUS4, if anyone does let me know it it works there
also. I now use my PSUS4 for a Dell Inkjet printer and it works fine
there.

Sounds like poor design of the LJ1020. There's no excuse for it to exceed the
USB spec in the amount of current it draws through the USB port. No excuse at
all... Ben Myers