Print spooler problems

I am having trouble printing. I have tried both an Epson and a Lexmark
printer. Sometimes the page prints, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it
prints after a delay of up to 30 mins!
I get a message stating that the print spooler is not running. Can anyone
explain what this does and how to fix it please.

Please note I am very familiar with Windows XP but not the print spooler so
I don't mind messing about with the registry if that is needed
Thanks in anticipation
TonyS

Jim

Go to/start/run/ enter "services.msc" ok.The print spooler service is
listed. You can change the properties to manual etc.
"Tony S" <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble printing. I have tried both an Epson and a Lexmark
> printer. Sometimes the page prints, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it
> prints after a delay of up to 30 mins!
> I get a message stating that the print spooler is not running. Can anyone
> explain what this does and how to fix it please.
>
> Please note I am very familiar with Windows XP but not the print spooler
> so
> I don't mind messing about with the registry if that is needed
> Thanks in anticipation
> TonyS

Thanks Jim
I've found it as you said. Its set for automatic. Can you suggest any
changes I might make to fix the problem please? Sorry to be a pest:)
Regards
Tony S