3D Maze Man 98 game.. Can\'t install on Windows 7

laurajane17

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
It's a game from 1998 and I used to love it! I had it on my old XP computer and it worked fine, just put the disc in my laptop (Windows 7) and it won't work :(

The error message I got when clicking "run setup" was
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computers system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

Is there anyway to get past this? (In laymens terms please!) Maybe by opening the folder to view the files on the disc instead...?
Bear in mind I don't really understand the error message! Nor do I know how to check which version I need.. And I can hardly contact the publisher of a game made 14 years ago!!

laurajane17

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Though this is where I post a whole load of questions that make me look like a complete idiot.. Please bear with me xD

Is that just a simple case of downloading it and then carrying on as normal? Or is it then going to confuse any program I use/how I install the disc?

Also, is it still going to work even though I use Windows 7 Home Premium? It says on the second link that it works for Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise...

Download this program -- D-fend reloaded - It is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) front end for DosBox that makes installing older programs much easier than DosBox by itself.

After installing Run the D-fend program - on the second toolbar (just under File View Run etc. ) click on Add - Install from source media (Left mouse click to select) - Use the drop down selection box to select - Install From real CD drive - Place the CD in your drive (or already have the CD in the drive before running D-fend) and press OK It will take you through the installation. ( This program makes installing from DosBox pretty much automatic for most programs but if you run into a program that does not install properly it usually just takes a bit of tweaking the settings to get it running - vs. using Dos Box where everything needs to be setup manually !)

Here is a screenshot that explains the process a bit :
defend.jpg

The reason you get the error message to begin with is that you are using a 64 bit version of Windows and they dropped support for older 8 bit programs (unfortunately many older games that are 16 or 32 bit programs use older 8 bit setup programs which 64 bit windows can not run even though once installed the games run fine !) - so programs like D-fend or DosBox are needed in order to install them.