Problem with serial console

Hi

I have a HP9000 E35 E-Class Server, I cannot get any prompt whatsoever.
There is no graphics card and I'm using a
8 Port MDP "Modem" Connected to a SCSI/PRINTER/APMUX16 Board have set my
terminal to 8N1 9600 and tried both hardware and software handshaking to
no avail. When the server is powered up there is activity of the "Link
status" led on the modem during boot up. There is some drive activity that
sounds like it's booting up. Any ideas on what to look for. Other possible
settings etc.??

Thanks in advance,

Dave

daveh@allheller.net

"Dave_the_rave" <junk@allheller.net> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I have a HP9000 E35 E-Class Server, I cannot get any prompt whatsoever.
> There is no graphics card and I'm using a
> 8 Port MDP "Modem" Connected to a SCSI/PRINTER/APMUX16 Board have set my
> terminal to 8N1 9600 and tried both hardware and software handshaking to
> no avail. When the server is powered up there is activity of the "Link
> status" led on the modem during boot up. There is some drive activity that
> sounds like it's booting up. Any ideas on what to look for. Other possible
> settings etc.??
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave
>
> daveh@allheller.net

What kind of terminal? 700/92? Check emulation....make sure it isn't VT.
Also check console is in "Remote". Think its softkey F4 on 700/92.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:45:26 -0400, Gingangooli <none@nowhere.com> wrote:

> "Dave_the_rave" <junk@allheller.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a HP9000 E35 E-Class Server, I cannot get any prompt whatsoever.
>> There is no graphics card and I'm using a
>> 8 Port MDP "Modem" Connected to a SCSI/PRINTER/APMUX16 Board have set my
>> terminal to 8N1 9600 and tried both hardware and software handshaking to
>> no avail. When the server is powered up there is activity of the "Link
>> status" led on the modem during boot up. There is some drive activity
>> that
>> sounds like it's booting up. Any ideas on what to look for. Other
>> possible
>> settings etc.??
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> daveh@allheller.net
>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
>
> What kind of terminal? 700/92? Check emulation....make sure it isn't VT.
> Also check console is in "Remote". Think its softkey F4 on 700/92.

Thanks

It's a 700/96 Emulation set for HP emulation and console is in "Remote"
mode
Still nothing appears on terminal.

Dave

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:45:26 -0400, Gingangooli <none@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>> "Dave_the_rave" <junk@allheller.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a HP9000 E35 E-Class Server, I cannot get any prompt whatsoever.
>>> There is no graphics card and I'm using a
>>> 8 Port MDP "Modem" Connected to a SCSI/PRINTER/APMUX16 Board have set my
>>> terminal to 8N1 9600 and tried both hardware and software handshaking to
>>> no avail. When the server is powered up there is activity of the "Link
>>> status" led on the modem during boot up. There is some drive activity
>>> that
>>> sounds like it's booting up. Any ideas on what to look for. Other
>>> possible
>>> settings etc.??
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> daveh@allheller.net
>>> --
>>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
>>
>> What kind of terminal? 700/92? Check emulation....make sure it isn't VT.
>> Also check console is in "Remote". Think its softkey F4 on 700/92.
>>

> Thanks
>
> It's a 700/96 Emulation set for HP emulation and console is in "Remote"
> mode
> Still nothing appears on terminal.
>

> Dave

Sorry Dave.... end of my "old" knowledge. The only other two things I can
think of (and Im hoping someone else will elaborate) is 1. The cable between
VDU and Mux panel. Is it the right one? and 2. IIRC there was a fuse in the
mux panel I think, surface mounted, looked just like a normal component,
cant be certain and not sure what the symptoms were if it went OC.

Sorry.