Odd computer activity

My hard drive light constantly blinks every second or so, even when my
computer is idle. I know it's not spyware or viruses, because I ran Spybot,
Stinger, Ad-aware, AVG Free, and Norton and they all said my computer was not
infected. I tried closing all my programs except for essential Windows ones,
and the light is still blinking. The light does not start blinking before
Windows is booted up, but blinks while at the login screen, so I'm sure it's
not any outside programs. I used Norton's activity log and found a bunch of
"Unauthorized access logged" messages, all caused by ctfmon.exe. I know that
Windows can run without it, so I tried deleting it. Windows put on a fresh
copy of ctfmon automatically, and I'm not getting that message anymore. I
also found in this log "'C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe' is preparing to access the
internet", which I found really odd. I'm suspicious that this hard drive
light blinking is caused by some malicious activity. Any idea how I can fix
this, or how I can find a log of my hard drive's activities?

If you need any more info, feel free to ask me.

It is not all that unusual for XP to access the HD regularly. CTFMon has to
do with your sound drivers. As far as norton logs... get rid of anything
norton(esp. antivirus firewall and tools). I have found norton causes more
problems than it solves. (btw McAfee is just as bad)

"EvilCowSlayer" <EvilCowSlayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>My hard drive light constantly blinks every second or so, even when my
>computer is idle. I know it's not spyware or viruses, because I ran Spybot,
>Stinger, Ad-aware, AVG Free, and Norton and they all said my computer was not
>infected. I tried closing all my programs except for essential Windows ones,
>and the light is still blinking. The light does not start blinking before
>Windows is booted up, but blinks while at the login screen, so I'm sure it's
>not any outside programs. I used Norton's activity log and found a bunch of
>"Unauthorized access logged" messages, all caused by ctfmon.exe. I know that
>Windows can run without it, so I tried deleting it. Windows put on a fresh
>copy of ctfmon automatically, and I'm not getting that message anymore. I
>also found in this log "'C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe' is preparing to access the
>internet", which I found really odd. I'm suspicious that this hard drive
>light blinking is caused by some malicious activity. Any idea how I can fix
>this, or how I can find a log of my hard drive's activities?
>
>If you need any more info, feel free to ask me.

I did get rid of Norton. This started happening before I installed Norton. I
installed, ran a scan, viewed the logs, and got rid of it.

As for regular HD access... this incident hasn't happened before, and ever
since it started, my HD takes longer to load stuff. Since this is a gaming
PC, I'm kinda demanding out of my hardware, and when something slows down, I
do my best to get it fast again. So I'm trying to at least minimize the
problem.

Is Indexing Service running on your computer?

"M8RIX" wrote:

> Is Indexing Service running on your computer?

1. It was on before this started
2. I turned it off, and it's still flashing