Strong Magenta cast on Canon ip 6000D

G

I have had a Canon ip6000D printer for 5 years and it worked great at all (paper quality) profile settings. Alas, it sat around unused a while and one of the colors clogged. I was unable to clear the clog so I bought a OEM Canon print head. Popped it in with the old cartridges and every color worked perfectly. All bands are even and uniform. However, after a couple weeks when I first tried using the Photo Plus or Glossy settings (any thing except Plain Paper), the pictures comes out with a very very strong magenta color cast. The Plain paper profile setting always works, but all other settings comes out magenta colored (faces are almost burgundy in color). I tried using Photoshop, the Fax and Photo Viewer, Picasa and they all come out the same with the higher quality settings. If I put a picture into WORD, then print with Photo Plus, it is Magenta, with Plain Paper setting the picture is correct.
I am using the same paper, same ink, same software settings I have always used. I see in the forums that this appears to be a very common problem. But I have not seen a reliable solution (other than to buy a new printer).
Some forum responses say the picture is having the printing profile applied twice so it comes out magenta. How do you turn one off?
Some say it is an absence of Cyan. But my cleaning and test print shows that all colors are printing very evenly.
Some say it is the printer mother board.
Some say it is just a bad print head.

Has anyone seen a reliable solution or various steps to narrow the potential problems down? I see this complain as far back as 2003. Is this just a defective head? Are the print heads just that unreliable?

G

I have the same problem now.. Had good results a year ago and recently fired the unit up and cleaned but all the images are great on plain paper but purple on photos on photo paper.. I just assumed it was refilled tanks or age but it seems to be inherent.

Did you find a solution?

MIkehart99

naomi65

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I had a situation like this just over 1 week ago. I found that I had accidentally switched the photo magenta and magenta cartridges when I had taken all cartridges out. Fixed it immediately. I love this printer and the way it works.

I fill my own cartridges, and it also happened to me another time when I accidentally filled the photo magenta with regular magenta ink. I was able to empty the cartridge, rinse it out with water, and refill with the photo magenta ink. Worked great!

Hope you get back in business! Naomi

benjaminbunny

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I have a Canon IP6000 and it too worked great for 4 years, but I left it unused for a while and one of the colors stopped printing and no cleaning seemed to help.

I bought an OEM Canon Printhead and when I dropped it in, the results where just like yours with a strong Magenta Cast. I've played with all the driver adjustments on the Canon Printer Screen, tried to work through it using Photoshop and its adjustments, but to no avail. Only the PLAIN PAPER setting works. All the others have the Magenta cast.

After reading so many recommendations to get a new print head, I bought another, but still it has the Magenta cast. I can't believe I mixed up the refill colors. (I've been refilling cartridges since 2006 with no problems.)

Any other suggests to eliminate a magenta cast?

cgrindahl

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

I have precisely this problem though so far as I know it has ALWAYS existed. The moment I use photo paper, either matte or glossy, or print on any setting but regular, I get a profound magenta tint, regardless of the color profile, whether the computer or printer manages color, or how I tweak color settings. For years I had an inexpensive Epson print that produced fabulous photos, but I've begun taking any photos I want printed to a local shop. The Canon simply doesn't work for anything but ordinary printing. I've been offered a new printer for my birthday but I'm so gun shy after this experience that I don't know what to buy. Painful...

benjaminbunny

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
After many trials more, I find that every time I've had the Magenta cast, one of the two Cyan tanks were not working properly. I have also ended up with a green cast and in those cases one of the Magenta tanks was not right.

The problem might be the print head or a tank that has gotten a bit dry. I refill my tanks and they have lasted for years, but once they fail, you got to get new ones. I clean my print head as described at http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff3.html . I also use the MIS refill ink and the inkgrabber refill kit.

Canned air works as describe at the Neal Slade site about 60% of the time for me. I've had to buy 3 print heads in 6-7 years.

I believe the printer makes good prints at the plain paper setting because it uses only half the inkjets. Under the finer photo print selections all the jets are to spray so if a tank isn't working right, it is missing half the amount of ink so you end up with a cast of one color or another, but I am not sure.

I find the best solution is prevention, print one photo or a multi-color test page every day.

Latest posts