Sign in with
Your question

Which CPU...P4-3Ghz or AMD 2800+..??

Last response: in CPUs
January 18, 2003 1:50:10 PM

Need some buying advice,need a new PC that will run upcoming games such as Doom 3,Unreal 2&Quake 4 really fast with all settings set to max.
Will the Athlon be fast enough?..or is the Intel worth the extra cash for the speed factor?
Graphics wise,Am waiting for Geforce FX cards to surface before buying as I think they will be the #1 for games.
Also,which monitor is best for games?..19" CRT? or 18"TFT?..Have heard TFT's can be weird for gaming as they leave 'trails' ..they look the part but an old CRT is meant to do the job better?/this is what I've read..can anyone help & give me sound advice?
Thanks.
J M Kirkness,UK

More about : cpu 3ghz amd 2800

January 18, 2003 3:16:31 PM

Hey mate.. It seems that you've already won tonight's national lottery!!! I reckon your budget has no limit...
I'd personally go for the P4 3Gig (although I'm building a new AMD system - but my budget is tight). I wouldn't wait for the FX, I'd get the R9700Pro, as I've read many positive reviews on it. Monitor wise, anyone could prove me that the CRT does the job better, however I'd still go for the TFT, as it is space saving, much lighter and still offers a wonderful view.

BTW, I couldn't find the XP2800 anywhere over here in the UK. Do you know any good websites which I can browse for hardware prices???

Cheers!!!

pardal51
January 18, 2003 3:20:10 PM

If you really have the money to waste, go with the p4 and rdram.
Related resources
January 18, 2003 3:48:36 PM

If you got the money
get P4 + Granite Bay
January 18, 2003 8:00:13 PM

This is an interesting problem because it all depends on if you plan on having the same system for a long time or upgrading it bit by bit. The P4 3.06 is definately the superior processor but Intel has been changing their mobo chipsets and requirements a lot more than AMD has. Even with the current Intel standard I don't know how long they will be offering faster processor to run on the same mobos. I read an article on this a few weeks ago and can't seem to find a link to it.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>
January 18, 2003 8:24:45 PM

ALL amd over 2400+ is a big waste of cash
ALl P4 over 2.8 GHZ is a waste of cash
ALL P4 under 2.4B is a waste of cash.

RDRAM base systemes is the fastest the best and you fell the power on the keyboards not like a DDR a silicon on Pepsi can.

Now what to do??
January 18, 2003 8:28:56 PM

Thx for you comments pardal51,Think I'm gonna need that lottery win to pay for this bad boy when I order it!
The web site I've seen the Athlon xp2800 at is a really cool site for PC's:www.alienware.co.uk
They have an AMD system named 'Aurora DDR' based on the 2800 chip with NForce 2 motherboard,R9700 pro+the usual high spec Memory,Hard drive etc for just over £1,500...monitor is xtra though.
They are meant to be the dogs danglybits for gaming PC's...check them out.
January 18, 2003 8:31:09 PM

for the same price you got a 2.8 asus P4PE that out performe the athlon and more stable

Now what to do??
January 18, 2003 9:01:32 PM

What are you talking about? A p4 2.8 and a xp2800 is neck to neck performance-wise. I don't know where you got the "more stable" from. Its a hard choice, a the p4 overclocks better, but if you get the athlon, you can upgrade to a the newer barton core without changing any components if you get a nforce 2 board and ddr400.
January 18, 2003 10:30:20 PM

hey mike, don't buy a ready system...build it yourself. I reckon you can save at least 15-20%. Buy all bits from the net.

Cheers
January 18, 2003 10:34:30 PM

a barton will stop at 3200+ wow a 400 PR point.There are not neck to neck except when include old benchmark from 99 or 2000 we are in 2003

Have you try a I850 systemes there a rock solid.Frind change is comp because lack of stability ok that a old Kt133 so nvidia have also there bunch of trouble

Now what to do??
January 18, 2003 10:49:15 PM

An Athlon XP 2800+ will actually outperferform a Pentium 4 3.06 when you use DDR Ram. When you use RDRAM (PC1066), then the P4 has the edge. And for overclocking, you probably have a better chance with the Pentium 4. It just depends what you want to do with this. I'd almost suggest the XP 2800+ if you were gonna go with DDR, but if you want the abslute best performace, go RDRAM and the 3ghz Pentium 4. Just remember that processor is still over $600, and you can get the 2800+ for just under $400. 512mb RDRAM will cost about $220 or more depending on what kind you get and you can get 512mb 400mhz DDR (Cas 2) for about $150 (athought that can get up to the same price as RDRAM if you go for Mushkin).

<font color=blue>The All new GeForce FXmx8x- For when you need the lightning speed of AGP 8x on a severely bottlenecked revision of the GeForce2!!</font color=blue>
January 18, 2003 11:21:27 PM

If you want the fastest, then buy P4 3.06 GHz with PC1066 RDRAM. If you can't afford, then buy AXP 2800+. Equip it with nForce2 and Dual PC2700 DDR, then it will be the second fastest system. Don't use DDR, AXP 2700+ beats P4 3.06 GHz when it is paired with PC2700 DDR

Don't wait for GeForce FX. Buy R9700 Pro now.

CRT monitors are better for gaming. I would buy a good 19" CRT (like ViewSonic P95f+) for gaming

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>
January 18, 2003 11:25:34 PM

Quote:
There are not neck to neck except when include old benchmark from 99 or 2000 we are in 2003

Near the end of 2002, THG, Anandtech and a bunch of other websites did benchmarks on the xp2800 compared to the p4 processor chips. THG's most current benchmark on the p4 3.6 using hyperthreading, showed that the xp2800's performance is about the same as a p4 2.8. In some benches it even surpassed the 2.8. Besides, what does the age of a benchmark have to do with a chips performance? If one chip is faster than another, it should be faster in all programs. Not everybody uses the newest and most updated software.
Quote:
Have you try a I850 systemes there a rock solid.Frind change is comp because lack of stability ok that a old Kt133 so nvidia have also there bunch of trouble

Since when does an athlon xp use the KT133 chipset? Yes, the KT133 chipset had issues. Thats VIA's problem, not AMDs. The current KT333, KT400 from VIA are very stable. Nforce and Nforce 2 are stable chipsets. If you don't like either, SIS735 and SIS745 are stable also. Also most of the motherboard "problems" are really just people that setup the board incorrectly.
January 19, 2003 12:22:52 AM

That's the monitor I'm running. It sure is sweet in games.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!
January 19, 2003 1:02:14 AM

If you got the bucks, P4 3.06 has Hyperthreading. The question is when will the games or any software you like take advantage of HT?
To answer that, you need a blindfold, a watergun and a calender with a long time horizon.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E66..." target="_new">Join the THG Team.</A>
January 20, 2003 3:19:29 AM

i suggest that some of you go back at the benchmark to look at it

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.
January 20, 2003 3:59:08 AM

got oney to blow ?

<A HREF="http://link http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...;sid=mK4YacQAurAYaforFsYSYosRv6RSXUhc8KA=?CatalogCategoryID=IV8KC0.NuD8AAADyMJASfMu_&ProductID=d1cKC0.N_mAAAADyTeQSfMvD&Dept=cpu" target="_new">SONY fw-900 24 po 16:9 for 1900 usd</A>

or more modest
<A HREF="http://link http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...;sid=mK4YacQAurAYaforFsYSYosRv6RSXUhc8KA=?CatalogCategoryID=IV8KC0.NuD8AAADyMJASfMu_&Dept=cpu&TemplateName=item/sy_item_b&ProductID=F24KC0.Nq_cAAADy4BQSfMvE&ContentItemPage=" target="_new"> 21 po (1700 usd )</A>

personnaly id take the widescreen :) 
January 20, 2003 9:10:10 AM

Heya all,

I have a new P4 3.06 on the way as i managed to get one for a silly price (and i really do mean silly) however i was fairly confident i was going to go down the DDR PC2700 road as ive read reviews and they seem a good team.

I have always been a fan of PC1066 RDRAM, and in an ideal world i would want this. My concern is finding a board, that will FULLY support the hyper threading on the chip. I dont know all that much about HT, and am concerned that if i get a board designed prior to the realease of HT (3.06), i will have a board that dosnt fully utilise the chips potential.

If i was going down the DDR PC2700 road, i was going to get my self a Gigabyte GA-8INXP. But what should i look at if i want PC1066 Samsung RDRAM.

The system so far will be the following specs:

P4 3.06 H/T
?????? Motherboard
PC1066 RDRAM Ideally
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Adaptec U160 SCSI controller
Seagate 37.6gb 15k SCSI drives (x2)
etc

Any ideas on a board?

rob
January 20, 2003 9:34:10 AM

Am appreciating all your comments guys,I'm something of a novice when it comes to 'technical'info.
I'm still no nearer to making my choice though!..What with the Athlon64/Barton available shortly..now I'm really undecided.
Thanks for all your opinions.
January 20, 2003 10:54:30 AM

Here in the US the P4 3.06 gHz cost about $200 more than the Athlon XP2800+. If you have an unlimited budget get the P4. Otherwise get the XP2800+ and put the money you save into a faster video card or a better monitor. I do not think you would see a big real world difference between the two cpus in similar systems.

"Just the facts ma'am"
January 20, 2003 12:04:24 PM

Which site shows the p4 2.8 surpassing the xp2800 in ALL the benchmarks? If there is you should provide a link.
January 21, 2003 1:37:38 PM

Quote:
ALL P4 under 2.4B is a waste of cash.

That depends on situation, the lower cost 100mhz fsb P4's (1.8A anyone?) are good for low budget price/performance OC because they easily reach 133fsb OCs.

-Col.Kiwi
January 21, 2003 2:54:46 PM

Honestly?? My Opinion.....

Get the AMD Athlon XP 2400+
512 x2 Stick of PC-3200 DDR RAM
nForce 2 based Motherboard (ASUS, Abit, Epox, LeadTek, etc.)
ATI Radeon 9700Pro

Now....u can OC that 2400+ to 2800+ speeds VERY Easily......and than when the Barton comes out, u can juts pop it in there and u DIDNT blow all that money on a 2800+...

Now as far as the 3.06 w/ HT beating the 2800+ in everything...i dont think so.....to utilize HT 100% u have to have a DDR Ram based P4 platform, is that correct?? In that case the Athlon is way above the P4 in performance...look at Toms VGA Charts...and thats a 2700+ not even the 2800+ and in some instances i remember the 2800+ beating the Pr 3.06 w/HT OC'd to 3.6GHz w/ HT Disabled....so......really its up 2 u but i gave some better ideas here =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
January 21, 2003 5:00:49 PM

well i have the same problem when its coming to upgrading the cpu..
i have a xp1800 and a ati 9700 pro..
i was wondering about buying a p4 setup from pcworls (against all my believes) but due to a 2.8ghz setup with ddr memory, 60gig hd, cdr, dvd, keyboard, mouse, speakers and god knows what else software wise, for £880 it was a steal..
as for sticking with amd i am thinking of waiting for the barton, but i thought for this moment, im going to wait until all the new 64bit cpus/bartons and whatever else intel and or amd have coming out, im going to see whats the best value, best peformance and go from there.
numbers and what people think is how wars get started (joke, not funny tho, yes?) so until i see numbers, im not buying a thing.. plus, it will save me a lot of money :)  oh, anyone heard of a Ilyama HA202DT monitor?

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...
January 21, 2003 5:04:29 PM

you might say that about the tft monitors being a space saver and all, but with my Ilyama HA202DT i have, its a beautiful screen and its not that expensive but has a gorgeous picture with my gigabyte 9700 pro card, i just wish my games where as quick as they could be with faster hardware, but with aa on and whatever else this card can do, its just nothing short of amazing..
ps. i cant find the xp2800 either, this is why i was saying about a 2.8ghz p4 from pc world for under £900.

January 21, 2003 5:22:15 PM

Unless your into video editing, anything over 2ghz is a waste of power. Most current games and programs cannot even use all the power. A xp2800 costs almost 4x as much as the xp2000 and the 3.06 costs almost 7x as much. Save your money, get the xp2000, wait 1/2 a year for prices to drop and upgrade again. You can upgrade your computer 2x a year and still spend less than if you get the newest and best out right now. And what does the newest and best out mean in 3 months, 2nd best and 1/2 th price...
January 21, 2003 6:38:23 PM

if you wait a bit a there will be Barton AXP 2500+ and P4 2.4 HT 800 fsb.Personalie i better like the P4 but the barton will be avaible on the market sonner and the boards will be cheaper

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.
January 21, 2003 7:03:41 PM

but for me having a xp1800 is it really worth upgrading to a xp2000?
i do do some video converting for use to play music videos onto my dvd player in the front room, but that is all on that side, unless video capture is requiring more and more power.. as im just trying to figure out what capture card i need.
with regards to upgrading, for my setup, what would you sugguest?
system link is here:

<A HREF="http:// www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18250 " target="_new">http:// www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18250 </A>

January 21, 2003 7:17:33 PM

Your link doesn't work.

Im assuming that you have an xp1800 with at least 256mb of ddr2100. I'm also assuming you are converting videos to mpeg1 or mpeg2 format because you said to play in your dvd player.

If your into heavy or professional video converting, editing, etc, you might want to get a faster processor. The faster the processor, the faster the video will convert. An xp1800 should convert videos to mpeg1(i don't have much experience with mpeg2) a little faster than realtime. If you are just dling videos, and then converting, its a waste of money to upgrade. Just do the converting before you sleep and use a timer program to automatically shutdown your computer.

I have an xp1700 and I can capture videos from my vcr/tv in realtime winto mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, and various other formats. So your xp1800 should be able to also. I use an ati 8500dv aiw to capture.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lancerevolution7 on 01/21/03 04:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 21, 2003 7:32:48 PM

Nforce2 + PC3200 is a great combo. Also if you have a big budget get an ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro instead of only the Radeon 9700 Pro. Reach the limits on everything so get the AIW. Besides it's only 50-100 bucks.
January 21, 2003 7:36:23 PM

i do have a xp1800 with 512mbs of ddr pc2100 on a kr7a motherboard with a 120gig maxtor ata 133 hard drive and liteon cdr and dvd drives.
im not so worried about the speed at the moment, but i do want a faster cpu at some point.. having a 9700 pro with my cpu makes things slow down because of the bottle neck the cpu gives the graphics card.. with the speed of my pc, the videos that i download takes less than 10 minutes to put into a vcd.. the capturing off of vcr or tv or what have you, i cant do because i dont have a capture card, as of yet. which is why i was going to ask, what would you recommend? i use windows xp and have upgrading in mind, so i would like to hear your thoughts as to what you might recommend.

here is the link again (hopefully this time it works!!)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18250" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18250&lt;/A> (its phills system!!)

January 21, 2003 7:51:26 PM

Your videocard is getting bottlenecked, but I really don't know of any current game that can use the 9700 fully so I wouldn't upgrade yet. Wait for the barton core to come out first, then the tbred A/B will drop in price and you also have the choice of choosing the barton.

Regarding video capture, I'm not sure which card you should choose. I chose the Ati aiw 8500 because it was a all in one package, graphics, video output, video input. It came with a remote, pretty handy if you are going hook the comp up to the tv and use it as a movie player. The video capture quality is pretty good also. It also included two firewire ports which I don't use, but its always nice to have the ports around. Since you already have a 9700, you can get a seperate video capture card. They range from $50 to $1000. Don't get the cheapest ones because their picture quality might be bad and the cheapest ones can only capture sound in mono mode. The $1000 ones are for professional editing. I'm not really an expert on this, you should ask in the tv/video card forum for advice.
January 21, 2003 9:31:28 PM

thank you for replying to me about all of this!
when benchmarking, i feel that the card wants to go quickier which is why im annoyed not having a faster cpu.. its such a shame.. i would really like to push the card to the limit..
capture cards, i am the same, so im still not sure about what to do..
the cpu upgrade idea i think is just to get the most out of it at the moment, but for me its not thinking long term enough..
i think the barton is something that im going to look out for and just see what the benchmarks are and see what is best to get.. if the older xps are best to get, the prices are cheaper and therefore i will be getting more performance for smaller amounts of cash
im considering the p4 as well, but im not sure as to what 'spec' to get, for motherboards, memory etc. i have seen a few boards about that look good, but as to what i should get cpu wise.. what speed is what i mean.. overclocking is also another thing that i would like to be doing because if i can make it faster without breaking it, i think its a plus!

January 21, 2003 10:07:13 PM

I too am looking @ a faster XP to replace my my Aging 1800+. I was planning on purchasing a XP2600 333fsb. but with barton just around the corner I am going to wait. in the mean time I'm going to sell my Radeon 8500 and get a Radeon 9700pro. my 1800+ @ stop speed will be slowing down the Radeon 9700. But right now its running Fine overclocked @ XP2000 speed. That will hold me off until barton shows up.

My Specs
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172&l...;/A>
January 22, 2003 6:53:11 PM

im still not that sure as to what to get, but i have decided this much.. to wait and see what all the talk is about the 64bit cpus and whatever else is going to come out.. i know its going to take some time, but i dont have the money to go and get something newer.. besides, when all the 64bit stuff comes out, it will all go down anyway..
when im using my xp1800 and 9700 pro, i cant say anything but good things about it
in 2048 x 1536 @ 32bit colour and at 85hz (refresh rate) playing colin mcrae 2, with aa on times 2 and af on times 8, its still running as smooth as a babies bum.. i just cant get over how good this card is.
i know the 9700 pro is held back by the xp1800, but im not worrying about it, when i have a new system, im sure the performance will be even more mouth watering..
by the way, have you considered a intel 4 setup? they seem to be better for the 9700 pro, with a 2.8ghz model (im guessing) scoring about 16k and a 3.5ghz model scoring (guessing) roughly 18k to 19k perhaps 20k if you are lucky. i cant imagine anything much more but bliss.. but then where is the barton going to be comparing to the intels cpus?
one quick question tho, have you unlocked your cpu or are just making the fsb faster? i can only get to about 142fsb on this setup.. my girl friends setup manages 150!! i was gutted..
oh one thing im really jealous of you for, your internet connection. but then thats something that is for a different forum! :) 

!