change from illegal to legal license without reinstalling

bryce

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001

Hi.

I found a computer here that has an "illegal" copy of XP on it.

I bought an OEM copy of XP with RAM to put in this said machine.

Is there anyway I can just enter the information from the outside of the cd
into XP somewhere so I wouldn't have to reinstall and keep this CD with the
computer at this point then?

Thanks for any info.

Bryce.

No. You must use the new Product Key and the Windows XP
that came with it to perform a "Repair Install".

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Bryce" wrote:

| Hi.
|
| I found a computer here that has an "illegal" copy of XP on it.
|
| I bought an OEM copy of XP with RAM to put in this said machine.
|
| Is there anyway I can just enter the information from the outside of the cd
| into XP somewhere so I wouldn't have to reinstall and keep this CD with the
| computer at this point then?
|
| Thanks for any info.
|
| Bryce.

bryce

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001

Hi.

thanks.

It says I can do an "inplace upgrade" to change the product key.

The link to this is dead.

Is an inplace upgrade an easier process than a repair install?

Thanks.

Bryce.

> No. You must use the new Product Key and the Windows XP
> that came with it to perform a "Repair Install".
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Bryce" wrote:
>
> | Hi.
> |
> | I found a computer here that has an "illegal" copy of XP on it.
> |
> | I bought an OEM copy of XP with RAM to put in this said machine.
> |
> | Is there anyway I can just enter the information from the outside of the
> cd
> | into XP somewhere so I wouldn't have to reinstall and keep this CD with
> the
> | computer at this point then?
> |
> | Thanks for any info.
> |
> | Bryce.