Automated file naming

I have a problem in that I have about 5000 files on a windows xp folder that
are currently named

(band) - song

I need to rename all of the files

band - song

Basically removing all of the parentheses, does anyone know of a way that
this can be done automatically?

This needs to be done because it's causing issues with another program so
must be done manually eventually if there isn't another option.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dean

I would probably try to do it in the DOS shell >Start >Run
>CMD
then navigate to the directory and enter the following
command

ren (*) - *.* * - *.x

"Dean Collins" <collins_dean"spam-me-here"@hotmail.com>
wrote in message
:I have a problem in that I have about 5000 files on a
windows xp folder that
: are currently named
:
: (band) - song
:
: I need to rename all of the files
:
: band - song
:
: Basically removing all of the parentheses, does anyone
know of a way that
: this can be done automatically?
:
: This needs to be done because it's causing issues with
another program so
: must be done manually eventually if there isn't another
option.
:
: Any thoughts?
:
: Cheers,
: Dean
:
:

This will do what you want quite nicely. http://www.fauland.com/af5.htm
It's a freeware utility for doing this very easily.

Here are some examples of what you can do with A.F.5:
a.. Add a prefix or suffix to your filenames
b.. Replace a string in your filenames
c.. Cut characters from your filenames
d.. Change the extension of your files
e.. Convert your filenames to uppercase, lowercase, first letter
uppercase, ...
f.. Add a counter to your filenames (file01.dat, file02.dat,
file03.dat, ...)
g.. Add a file attribute (creation date, file size, ...) to your
filenames
h.. Import new filenames from a text file

"Dean Collins" <collins_dean"spam-me-here"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem in that I have about 5000 files on a windows xp folder
>that
> are currently named
>
> (band) - song
>
> I need to rename all of the files
>
> band - song
>
> Basically removing all of the parentheses, does anyone know of a way that
> this can be done automatically?
>
> This needs to be done because it's causing issues with another program so
> must be done manually eventually if there isn't another option.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Dean

begin 666 blankpixel.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! D```$`+ `````!``$```("3 $`.P``
`
end

problem solved. this shareware program rocks
http://www.publicspace.net/windows/BetterFileRename

Well worth the $20 I just paid for it. Thanks for the replies though, it
looks liek i could have soloved this for free but this also gives me a few
other functions I hadn't thought of in the past (plus a nice clean
preview/undo feature)

Cheers,
Dean