Upgrading integrated videocard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Hi all,
i have a Compaq 6351 Presario with Intel 82845GL integrated graphics
controller. Is there a way i can install a new PCI videocard and make my
comp (os linux) work with the newer one w/o replacing motherboard?

Thx,

--
Ivan

Remove NOSPAM and DOT with dot to post to me directly.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I've never installed a PCI card in a Presario with Intel 845 on-board graphics,
but the system should respond similarly to most other brands of motherboards
with 845 on board. As a test, but a VERY inexpensive one, get an old, old PCI
graphics card with maybe 2MB of memory. See if it installs automatically. If
it does, then you can consider a newer one with more memory... Ben Myers

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:38:42 -0000, "Ivan Korotkov" <korotkov2@nospammaildot.ru>
wrote:

>Hi all,
> i have a Compaq 6351 Presario with Intel 82845GL integrated graphics
>controller. Is there a way i can install a new PCI videocard and make my
>comp (os linux) work with the newer one w/o replacing motherboard?
>
>Thx,
>
>--
>Ivan
>
>Remove NOSPAM and DOT with dot to post to me directly.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:38:42 -0000, "Ivan Korotkov"
<korotkov2@nospammaildot.ru> wrote:

>Hi all,
> i have a Compaq 6351 Presario with Intel 82845GL integrated graphics
>controller. Is there a way i can install a new PCI videocard and make my
>comp (os linux) work with the newer one w/o replacing motherboard?
>
>Thx,

yes, it can be as easy as you describe. Because it's a PCI
card, after adding it you would then (keeping the monitor
connected to the onboard video for a moment) go into the
bios settings and set the primary display adapter (it can be
worded differently, like "initialize VGA first" or similar)
to be the PCI card, not AGP (which for this purpose would
mean the AGP is the integrated video, since the chipset uses
an AGP port for the video even without a physical slot for
AGP on the board).

So basically you'd just need to choose a card with known
working driver suport for linux.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

> yes, it can be as easy as you describe. Because it's a PCI
> card, after adding it you would then (keeping the monitor
> connected to the onboard video for a moment) go into the
> bios settings and set the primary display adapter (it can be
> worded differently, like "initialize VGA first" or similar)
> to be the PCI card, not AGP (which for this purpose would
> mean the AGP is the integrated video, since the chipset uses
> an AGP port for the video even without a physical slot for
> AGP on the board).

Thx for suggestion, but it seems that my video card is already set to be
PCI in bios, not onboard-video. Is something wrong with that?

--
Ivan

Remove NOSPAM and DOT to post to me directly.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:51:08 -0000, "Ivan Korotkov"
<korotkov2@nospammaildot.ru> wrote:

>> yes, it can be as easy as you describe. Because it's a PCI
>> card, after adding it you would then (keeping the monitor
>> connected to the onboard video for a moment) go into the
>> bios settings and set the primary display adapter (it can be
>> worded differently, like "initialize VGA first" or similar)
>> to be the PCI card, not AGP (which for this purpose would
>> mean the AGP is the integrated video, since the chipset uses
>> an AGP port for the video even without a physical slot for
>> AGP on the board).
>
>Thx for suggestion, but it seems that my video card is already set to be
>PCI in bios, not onboard-video. Is something wrong with that?

No that's fine. It is only there for initialization
decision, which card is considered the primary when there
are two cards- it has no effect when there is only one
display adapter.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

> No that's fine. It is only there for initialization
> decision, which card is considered the primary when there
> are two cards- it has no effect when there is only one
> display adapter.

Oh, thanks. I'll go try and see...