Hard Drive Crash - Win XP hangs in repair console

I had 2 separate instances of corrupted files in my Windows/System folder,
which I was able to correct by copying the needed file back into the folder
after booting from the XP CD. Of course after the second I realized my hard
drive was flaking out and planned on saving as much data to DVD while I was
up. Fate had other ideas. My neighborhood suffered a power outage just as I
started writing the DVD. :-(

When everything came back on I was not able to boot again. This time the
'system' file was missing from C:\Windows\System32\Config and the repair
console hangs when I enter choose 1 for the XP OS.

Is there any hope of getting this booted back to windows long enough to get
my data back?

Thanks,
Jon
6 answers Last reply
More about hard drive crash hangs repair console

    "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I had 2 separate instances of corrupted files in my Windows/System folder,
    > which I was able to correct by copying the needed file back into the
    > folder
    > after booting from the XP CD. Of course after the second I realized my
    > hard
    > drive was flaking out and planned on saving as much data to DVD while I
    > was
    > up. Fate had other ideas. My neighborhood suffered a power outage just as
    > started writing the DVD. :-(
    >
    > When everything came back on I was not able to boot again. This time the
    > 'system' file was missing from C:\Windows\System32\Config and the repair
    > console hangs when I enter choose 1 for the XP OS.
    >
    > Is there any hope of getting this booted back to windows long enough to
    > get
    > my data back?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon

    Trying to get it to boot is probably not a good plan. It may take too long
    and be too frustrating to deal with, and if you mean the drive itself is
    dying, you want to use it as little as possible. Best bet would be to put
    that drive into a working computer, and copy the files you need, then format
    and reinstall (if the drive is still useable, hardware-wise).

    Second best would be to install a new version of XP in a different folder,
    while keeping the old installation as-is. Then copy your files to where you
    want, then format and reinstall, if the drive is good.

    That's what I figured, too. I've already installed XP on a new drive. Just
    need to pick up another sata cable to attach the bad drive and try to get my
    files off of it.

    I was hoping to boot it for a while to run exports of my outlook and outlook
    express files and settings as I've always had problems just copying the
    files into a new install.

    Thanks for the help,
    Jon

    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I had 2 separate instances of corrupted files in my Windows/System
    folder,
    > > which I was able to correct by copying the needed file back into the
    > > folder
    > > after booting from the XP CD. Of course after the second I realized my
    > > hard
    > > drive was flaking out and planned on saving as much data to DVD while I
    > > was
    > > up. Fate had other ideas. My neighborhood suffered a power outage just
    as
    > > started writing the DVD. :-(
    > >
    > > When everything came back on I was not able to boot again. This time the
    > > 'system' file was missing from C:\Windows\System32\Config and the repair
    > > console hangs when I enter choose 1 for the XP OS.
    > >
    > > Is there any hope of getting this booted back to windows long enough to
    > > get
    > > my data back?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jon
    > >

    > Trying to get it to boot is probably not a good plan. It may take too long
    > and be too frustrating to deal with, and if you mean the drive itself is
    > dying, you want to use it as little as possible. Best bet would be to put
    > that drive into a working computer, and copy the files you need, then
    format
    > and reinstall (if the drive is still useable, hardware-wise).
    >
    > Second best would be to install a new version of XP in a different folder,
    > while keeping the old installation as-is. Then copy your files to where
    you
    > want, then format and reinstall, if the drive is good.

    OK, I slapped in a new drive and installed XP Pro SP2. I then connected my
    old drive to copy the files I needed over. When it got to the stuff in
    Documents and settings, it let me copy files out of my kids profiles as they
    were set up as users, but not out of my old profile of which I was the
    administrator.

    I called my current profile the same thing as I did on the old installation
    so I'm not sure why it wont let me copy stuff. Is there any way I can
    retrieve this stuff?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    > That's what I figured, too. I've already installed XP on a new drive. Just
    > need to pick up another sata cable to attach the bad drive and try to get
    my
    > files off of it.
    >
    > I was hoping to boot it for a while to run exports of my outlook and
    outlook
    > express files and settings as I've always had problems just copying the
    > files into a new install.
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    > Jon
    >

    > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >I had 2 separate instances of corrupted files in my Windows/System
    > folder,
    > > > which I was able to correct by copying the needed file back into the
    > > > folder
    > > > after booting from the XP CD. Of course after the second I realized my
    > > > hard
    > > > drive was flaking out and planned on saving as much data to DVD while
    > > > was
    > > > up. Fate had other ideas. My neighborhood suffered a power outage
    just
    > as
    > > > started writing the DVD. :-(
    > > >
    > > > When everything came back on I was not able to boot again. This time
    the
    > > > 'system' file was missing from C:\Windows\System32\Config and the
    repair
    > > > console hangs when I enter choose 1 for the XP OS.
    > > >
    > > > Is there any hope of getting this booted back to windows long enough
    > > > get
    > > > my data back?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Jon
    > > >

    > > Trying to get it to boot is probably not a good plan. It may take too
    long
    > > and be too frustrating to deal with, and if you mean the drive itself is
    > > dying, you want to use it as little as possible. Best bet would be to
    put
    > > that drive into a working computer, and copy the files you need, then
    > format
    > > and reinstall (if the drive is still useable, hardware-wise).
    > >
    > > Second best would be to install a new version of XP in a different
    folder,
    > > while keeping the old installation as-is. Then copy your files to where
    > you
    > > want, then format and reinstall, if the drive is good.

    Forgot to ask...

    Will the 'Files and settings Transfer Wizard' let me pull my stuff off the
    old hard drive without booting to the windows install on that drive?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    > OK, I slapped in a new drive and installed XP Pro SP2. I then connected my
    > old drive to copy the files I needed over. When it got to the stuff in
    > Documents and settings, it let me copy files out of my kids profiles as
    they
    > were set up as users, but not out of my old profile of which I was the
    > administrator.
    >
    > I called my current profile the same thing as I did on the old
    installation
    > so I'm not sure why it wont let me copy stuff. Is there any way I can
    > retrieve this stuff?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon
    >

    > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > That's what I figured, too. I've already installed XP on a new drive.
    Just
    > > need to pick up another sata cable to attach the bad drive and try to
    get
    > my
    > > files off of it.
    > >
    > > I was hoping to boot it for a while to run exports of my outlook and
    > outlook
    > > express files and settings as I've always had problems just copying the
    > > files into a new install.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help,
    > > Jon
    > >

    > > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > folder,
    > just
    > > as

    > the
    > repair

    > > > Trying to get it to boot is probably not a good plan. It may take too
    > long
    > > > and be too frustrating to deal with, and if you mean the drive itself
    is
    > > > dying, you want to use it as little as possible. Best bet would be to
    > put
    > > > that drive into a working computer, and copy the files you need, then
    > > format
    > > > and reinstall (if the drive is still useable, hardware-wise).
    > > >
    > > > Second best would be to install a new version of XP in a different
    > folder,
    > > > while keeping the old installation as-is. Then copy your files to
    where
    > > you
    > > > want, then format and reinstall, if the drive is good.

    Look up the instructions for "take Ownership" in help & support. That should
    do it, unless you encrypted the files.

    "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK, I slapped in a new drive and installed XP Pro SP2. I then connected my
    > old drive to copy the files I needed over. When it got to the stuff in
    > Documents and settings, it let me copy files out of my kids profiles as
    > they
    > were set up as users, but not out of my old profile of which I was the
    > administrator.
    >
    > I called my current profile the same thing as I did on the old
    > installation
    > so I'm not sure why it wont let me copy stuff. Is there any way I can
    > retrieve this stuff?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon
    >

    > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> That's what I figured, too. I've already installed XP on a new drive.
    >> Just
    >> need to pick up another sata cable to attach the bad drive and try to get
    > my
    >> files off of it.
    >>
    >> I was hoping to boot it for a while to run exports of my outlook and
    > outlook
    >> express files and settings as I've always had problems just copying the
    >> files into a new install.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help,
    >> Jon
    >>

    >> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> folder,
    > just
    >> as

    > the
    > repair

    >> > Trying to get it to boot is probably not a good plan. It may take too
    > long
    >> > and be too frustrating to deal with, and if you mean the drive itself
    >> > is
    >> > dying, you want to use it as little as possible. Best bet would be to
    > put
    >> > that drive into a working computer, and copy the files you need, then
    >> format
    >> > and reinstall (if the drive is still useable, hardware-wise).
    >> >
    >> > Second best would be to install a new version of XP in a different
    > folder,
    >> > while keeping the old installation as-is. Then copy your files to where
    >> you
    >> > want, then format and reinstall, if the drive is good.

    Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.

    > Look up the instructions for "take Ownership" in help & support. That
    should
    > do it, unless you encrypted the files.
    >
    > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > OK, I slapped in a new drive and installed XP Pro SP2. I then connected
    my
    > > old drive to copy the files I needed over. When it got to the stuff in
    > > Documents and settings, it let me copy files out of my kids profiles as
    > > they
    > > were set up as users, but not out of my old profile of which I was the
    > > administrator.
    > >
    > > I called my current profile the same thing as I did on the old
    > > installation
    > > so I'm not sure why it wont let me copy stuff. Is there any way I can
    > > retrieve this stuff?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jon
    > >

    > > "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> That's what I figured, too. I've already installed XP on a new drive.
    > >> Just
    > >> need to pick up another sata cable to attach the bad drive and try to
    get
    > > my
    > >> files off of it.
    > >>
    > >> I was hoping to boot it for a while to run exports of my outlook and
    > > outlook
    > >> express files and settings as I've always had problems just copying the
    > >> files into a new install.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for the help,
    > >> Jon
    > >>

    > >> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message