Nvidia GT 300 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know, the GTX 280M is really based on the same G92b chip as the 9800GTX+ and the GTS250. The G200 chip (what the GTX 260,275, and 280 are based on) was just too big and power hungry for a laptop. That being said the G300 chips are going to be even bigger and use more power. NVIDIA probably won't launch derivative chips till much latter so you could be waiting a long while for a GeForce DX11 laptop.

slimkiller

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
So I should just go ahead and buy the laptop? Is it possible to replace the 280 with a 300 series chip later on? Does it make a lot of difference? I wont really care if it doesn't , but I don't want the laptop to be obsolete in a year.

D

Deleted member 217926

No you can not upgrade a GPU in a laptop.
It will not be obsolete as most games are just now DirectX10 and no games are out yet ( I dont think ) that support DX11.

As stated above it will take about 6 months for a mobile version of the 300 series to come out AFTER the desktop version. And we are still waiting on that one. So if you are happy waiting close to a year to buy a laptop with a 300 then sure wait......but by then the next GPU will be out and the 300 will be "obsolete".

If you just want the best available spend a few grand and get a Crossfire or SLI laptop. They make them but you pay for it for sure. If you want to semi-affordably keep up with the latest tech buy or build a desktop.

slimkiller

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

Alight then, I'll get the laptop now then, seems like its not something worth waiting for. Problem with SLI is that they're all 17" laptops, they're too big to carry around, perhaps is there any 16 inch laptop that has SLI?

And one more thing, the GPU in a laptop isn't upgradable? This one is dedicated, so it isn't connected to the CPU, doesn't that make it upgradable?

D

Deleted member 217926

A GPU in a laptop is a chip soldered in to the motherboard. There is no room in a laptop for giant interchangeable cards like in a desktop.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Some laptops have non-integrated GPUs. I believe Sager does that... you should double check though. Some of these Sagers are upgradeable... Ask a tech about it websupport@sagernotebook.com

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

you are, in a word, wrong. the graphics cards slimkiller is thinking of would not be integrated into the mobo. in this case if the new card physically fit and the cooling system would fit then you could upgrade.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep I was wrong. I was not familiar with MXM technology. http://www.mxm-sig.org/
Obviously I am behind on my high end laptops :whistle:

But then I hate gaming on laptops. Especially when you can spend much less on a desktop that will destroy a similar spec laptop.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
You'll love that computer! And dont let the trash talk get you down. A gaming desktop will kill a gaming laptop..? Seriously? It will also use 6-8x the power and weigh 4x as much.. In my perfect world, everyone has both!!! And dont let the DX9 vs DX10 vs DX11 concern you too much... Due to the power restictions of laptops, medium to high settings will just have to suffice.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.