Tech: Whirlwind spinner decal replacement

Hi,
Just started shopping out my recently acquired RRGVCOASAATDDOW (nod to
Rick S.) :)
And, was wondering is there a "best" way to remove the old spinner
decals to prep for the new set?

Tim

I hope this doesn't sound too lazy, but my stickers were so smooth (but
not tore up)that I just wiped it down with Paint prep cleaner to get
old wax/dirt off and put the new ones over the old ones and it looked
great, total time about 5 minutes.
Good luck
Tom

The BaronVonBell wrote:
> Hi,
> Just started shopping out my recently acquired RRGVCOASAATDDOW (nod to
> Rick S.) :)
> And, was wondering is there a "best" way to remove the old spinner
> decals to prep for the new set?
>
> Tim

Mike,
Thanks, I didn't know about the screw under the decal.

Tim

> Just started shopping out my recently acquired RRGVCOASAATDDOW (nod to
> Rick S.) :)
> And, was wondering is there a "best" way to remove the old spinner
> decals to prep for the new set?

Well, you can either remove the entire spinner assembly from the underside
of the playfield, but you'll have to de-solder the motor leads. Or you can
leave the whole assembly in the game, but this makes lining up the decals a
bit trickier.

To remove the disks, cut a small hole in the decal at the center of each
disk to reveal the screw. Remove the screw and pull up the disk. Use
Goo-Gone to disolve the adhesive and remove the stickers. Clean the disks
up real well and dry thouroughly. Install the disks back into the game and
apply the stickers.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

The BaronVonBell wrote:
> Hi,
> Just started shopping out my recently acquired RRGVCOASAATDDOW (nod to
> Rick S.) :)
> And, was wondering is there a "best" way to remove the old spinner
> decals to prep for the new set?
>
> Tim

I just did my decal replacement last week.
I found that the old decals were easy to slowly peel off with just
using a small screwdriver or X-Acto knife to start the lift on the O.D.
and then grab with needle nose pliers, then with your fingers. Slowly
peel away then clean the plastic spinners with alcohol. I did this
while everything was still on the machine.
I also tried one with cutting in the center where the screw is and then
start peeling/tearing. That works too.
The adhesive on my old spinner decals was not very aggressive but it is
sticky.
If for some reason your adhesive is really aggressive then I would
remove the discs first as suggested in a previous post.

It ended up much easier than I expected.

Aslo, make sure you adjust the spinning disc heights (from under the
playfield) after applying the new decals. That affects the
functionality of the discs during game play.