Sign in with
Your question

Alienware Aurora R3 Dual ATI Radeon 6950 question

Last response: in Computer Brands
June 25, 2011 12:27:26 PM

Hey,

I just bought an Alienware Aurora R3 with Dual ATI Radeon HD 6950 etc. When I opened the case, I was surprised to find only one video card which occupies all the PCIe slots (so even if I want to add another card, I can't). Now first time I thought ok, this is how they make dual cards now but as I searched on google, I saw people with 2 of those babies in crossfire. Now, I want to know if Dell made the mistake of adding just 1 card or I am stupid. The card indeed has a 2 slot form factor but when I search for Ati Radeon 6950 HD all cards look like this.

Tnx in advance for any help
June 29, 2011 10:02:32 PM

Far as I know the HD 6950 is a single "core" video card
there has been dual "core" GPUS like the 4870x2
which ATI puts the X2 at the end of the model number

They do call it a dual slot form factor and that is probably why Alienware
described it that way

I would be very happy with that choice of card
It is considered one of the best cards to have here on Toms
Many hardcore techs would pick that card
I am jealous :) 

trust me there isnt anything you can throw at that card it cant handle
For example you could play Crysis 2 at 1920x1080 res with maxed out
settings and that card would easily handle it.

here is link to AMD support page for specs
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...

Have fun with her!
August 15, 2011 11:19:46 AM

If you selected this option

"Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6950"

then you need to contact Dell and ask them for a replacement. This is a crossfire arrangement and you have only been provided with a single card.
August 17, 2011 3:16:41 AM

Dell sucks...and alienware sucks ever since dell bought them....hopefully when you opened your case you didnt see a ball of cables blocking all your fans air paths.....they sell nice components in junk built cases but with nice looking outside appearance .... and apparently they cant even build a machine to a customers order...how do you miss the fact that a card is missing on a crossfire order?
!