Not trying to open a huge can of worms here (no pun intended), but I see a
lot of pro AND con for Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Security on XP in these
discussion groups.

I have XP and have used Norton for years...and as far as I can tell, it's
working great. No viruses crept in (even with 3 teenagers on this computer)
and a few viruses caught in the act. No vulgar emails, no pop-ups, etc.

But...is there something better I could or should be using for protection?

Thank you!

Jim

I have been using System Works with XP for 4 years.I buy the Pro(year old)
every year on EBay for 8 bucks delivered, instead of reordering a
subscription. Never had one problem and no viruses(caught a few).I only use
scan disk and on occasion Windoctor and of course the virus protection. If
it works, why mess with it?

"SRS" <SRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not trying to open a huge can of worms here (no pun intended), but I see a
> lot of pro AND con for Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Security on XP in
> these
> discussion groups.
>
> I have XP and have used Norton for years...and as far as I can tell, it's
> working great. No viruses crept in (even with 3 teenagers on this
> computer)
> and a few viruses caught in the act. No vulgar emails, no pop-ups, etc.
>
> But...is there something better I could or should be using for protection?
>
> Thank you!

I would never get overly confident about any security software.
Many times I've uninstalled both McAfee or Norton, installed an
alternate product which finds and removes viruses/trojans those
two products have missed.
Norton and to a lesser degree McAfee both load a system down
quite noticeably. Also, the yearly subscription renewal price for
each is too high - especially in multiple PC households.
Personally, I use and recommend eTrust 7.0 for AntiVirus and
Zone Alarm (Free) for firewall protection. Those along with the
major Malware products, AdAware, Spybot and MS Antispyware.
( Which is still a Beta release).
Whatever product you choose, you would be advised to get on
the Internet and do a cross-check/verification using an alternate
vendor. I use both Panda's Activesacn and Trend-Micro.

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I would never get overly confident about any security software.
> Many times I've uninstalled both McAfee or Norton, installed an
> alternate product which finds and removes viruses/trojans those
> two products have missed.
> Norton and to a lesser degree McAfee both load a system down
> quite noticeably. Also, the yearly subscription renewal price for
> each is too high - especially in multiple PC households.
> Personally, I use and recommend eTrust 7.0 for AntiVirus and
> Zone Alarm (Free) for firewall protection. Those along with the
> major Malware products, AdAware, Spybot and MS Antispyware.
> ( Which is still a Beta release).
> Whatever product you choose, you would be advised to get on
> the Internet and do a cross-check/verification using an alternate
> vendor. I use both Panda's Activesacn and Trend-Micro.
>
> "SRS" <SRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Not trying to open a huge can of worms here (no pun intended), but I see
>> lot of pro AND con for Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Security on XP in
>> these
>> discussion groups.
>>
>> I have XP and have used Norton for years...and as far as I can tell, it's
>> working great. No viruses crept in (even with 3 teenagers on this
>> computer)
>> and a few viruses caught in the act. No vulgar emails, no pop-ups, etc.
>>
>> But...is there something better I could or should be using for
>> protection?
>>
>> Thank you!

I know for me I have used Norton stuff in the past and it always slows the
pc down way noticably, Mcafee doesn't. I do not notice Mcafee, but I notice
Norton Stuff. Also in the past norton would break the pc using windoctor and
those types of norton apps. for me i would use norton AV only. however it
slows the pc down to much, so mcafee AV i use and nothing else.

As of yet, no anti-virus or Internet security suite would be able to clean
up "spywares". Add AD Aware SE, Spybot: Search and Destory, CWShredder,
SypywareBlaster and Microsoft AntiSpyware to your protection.