Inspiron Low Volume with DVD Playback Only

Bruce

Hi,

My daughter's i8600 plays all audio formats just fine, regardless of
application used to play them (WMP, MusicMatch, iTunes, etc), but, when she
plays a DVD using any DVD application (WMP, Dell Media Experience,
PowerDVD), the volume is so low that you have to get real close to the
laptop to hear it.

I've checked all settings, and everything appears to be configured
correctly.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
Bruce

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I can only see 3 places to change the volume. The computer itself, the
Power DVD player volume controls, and double click on the speaker icon and
make sure WAVE is turned up.

Clark

"Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My daughter's i8600 plays all audio formats just fine, regardless of
> application used to play them (WMP, MusicMatch, iTunes, etc), but, when
> she
> plays a DVD using any DVD application (WMP, Dell Media Experience,
> PowerDVD), the volume is so low that you have to get real close to the
> laptop to hear it.
>
> I've checked all settings, and everything appears to be configured
> correctly.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Sincerely,
> Bruce

Bruce

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in

> I can only see 3 places to change the volume. The computer itself,
> the Power DVD player volume controls, and double click on the speaker
> icon and make sure WAVE is turned up.
>
> Clark
>
> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My daughter's i8600 plays all audio formats just fine, regardless of
>> application used to play them (WMP, MusicMatch, iTunes, etc), but,
>> when she
>> plays a DVD using any DVD application (WMP, Dell Media Experience,
>> PowerDVD), the volume is so low that you have to get real close to
>> the laptop to hear it.
>>
>> I've checked all settings, and everything appears to be configured
>> correctly.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Bruce

Yep, and all those are set as high as possible.

Thanks,
Bruce

> Yep, and all those are set as high as possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

An innocent question.............it's a genuine (not copied) DVD?

I've come across this problem before with copied DVDs, it's one of the forms
of anti-copy protection used.

Bruce

"Chuckles The Scary Clown"
<chuckles-keepawayfromsharpobjects@thebigtop.net> wrote in

> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>

>> Yep, and all those are set as high as possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bruce
>
> An innocent question.............it's a genuine (not copied) DVD?
>
> I've come across this problem before with copied DVDs, it's one of the
> forms of anti-copy protection used.

I understand your question, and it's a legitimate one. Yep, these are
store bought DVDs, not copied ones. (But copied ones produce a low
volume on the laptop, too.) Both types do fine on set top boxes, and on
desktops. Hmmm, come to think of it, I have another laptop, an i6000;
I'll try a DVD on that one.

Bruce

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If the DVD offers a stero audio track and a 5.1 audio track, chose the
stereo for two speaker playback. It will be louder that 5.1.
Alternatively, hook up to an external 5.1 sound system with its own
controls. The 5.1 to stero conversion is the problem, I think.

-Dan