burger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004

I only have a notebook computer. Everything I read
suggest a desktop base station. Is that necessary to hook
up the wireless?

I have high speed cable and want to carry my notebook
around the house.

Is the MN-820 the right kit?

Cs

"burger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I only have a notebook computer. Everything I read
> suggest a desktop base station. Is that necessary to hook
> up the wireless?
>
> I have high speed cable and want to carry my notebook
> around the house.
>
> Is the MN-820 the right kit?

The MN 820 kit consists of a router (base station MN 700) and a bus card
adaptor for your notebook computer (MN 720). I don't see why you can't hook
your cable modem directly to the MN 700 without a desktop being available.
I would imagine it will work the same way since the desktop computer would
be hooked up to the base station through a Ethernet cable anyway. (not
wireless)

Should work OK unless I'm missing something....

Perhaps someone else could comment?

CS wrote:
> "burger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I only have a notebook computer. Everything I read
>> suggest a desktop base station. Is that necessary to hook
>> up the wireless?
>>
>> I have high speed cable and want to carry my notebook
>> around the house.
>>
>> Is the MN-820 the right kit?
>
> The MN 820 kit consists of a router (base station MN 700) and a bus
> card adaptor for your notebook computer (MN 720). I don't see why
> you can't hook your cable modem directly to the MN 700 without a
> desktop being available. I would imagine it will work the same way
> since the desktop computer would be hooked up to the base station
> through a Ethernet cable anyway. (not wireless)
>
> Should work OK unless I'm missing something....
>
> Perhaps someone else could comment?

You will need a wired connection to set up the MN-700. This could
be the notebook if it has a wired NIC already or a wired cardbus
card as an add on. After that you wouldn't need the wired card
except for firmware upgrades to the MN-700.

Although setting up wireless security through the wireless connection
is touchy. For instance, if you enter your passphrase wrong on the
base station, you might not be able to reconnect wirelessly.

Having the possibility of a wired connection to the base station is
a good backup anyway.

Hope this helps.

Dick Kistler