Different return guides on '78 Phoenix?

salty

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

I have two phoenix play fields and they both seem to use two sets of
bent wire for the return lanes. I've seen a few (including the one on
ipdb) that have the standard metal lane guides we're used to seeing. My
question is: Which is correct? Both maybe? One of my playfields has
holes for both (aftermarket maintenance mod?) and my other only seems
to have holes for the wire guides. I bought a box of parts off of ebay
to get these guides, now I'm kinda stumped about what to use.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1780&depth=-1&picno=7965&zoom=1

Thanks!

-Jonathan

"Salty" wrote:
> Anybody?

I think both can safely be considered "correct". If you're seeing both
set-ups on different Phoenix games and there appear to be no "homemade"
modifications, then I think it's safe to say that Wms probably used both
designs throughout the production of the game. After all, this game was
made during the changeover period (or right after) from EM's to solid state
when things like this started changing/evolving, so not uncommon to see
stuff like this on various games.

Some types of changes like these were also made between prototype stage
(usually when flyer pics are taken) and production stage, so you can't
always rely on the flyer to be considered "accurate" or "typical". For
example, the Stellar Wars flyer shows "Flash" drop target decals installed
on it. However, production games shipped with their own actual "Stellar
Wars" decals installed- not Flash. So which is correct for Stellar Wars-
"Flash" decals, or the actual Stellar Wars ones? Or both? Who can say?

Even on the Phoenix flyer, the game pictured uses the older style "white
star" drop targets, when in fact, production Phoenix games shipped with
actual "firebird" decals installed on blank targets.

I think the bottom line is that if you see it in the original factory flyer,
and see different stuff on an original production playfield, then both can
safely be considered "correct".

My advice: It's only pinball- go with what you prefer. That's what counts
in the long run.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Not sure what you are asking. Mine has the flat metal ones by the
flippers held down by 3 screws. Above them are the wire line guides.

John!

Salty wrote:
> I have two phoenix play fields and they both seem to use two sets of
> bent wire for the return lanes. I've seen a few (including the one on
> ipdb) that have the standard metal lane guides we're used to seeing. My
> question is: Which is correct? Both maybe? One of my playfields has
> holes for both (aftermarket maintenance mod?) and my other only seems
> to have holes for the wire guides. I bought a box of parts off of ebay
> to get these guides, now I'm kinda stumped about what to use.
>
> http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1780&depth=-1&picno=7965&zoom=1
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Jonathan

I have a Phoenix too and also have had the same dillema. Mine has the
bent wire type of guides on the ball return lanes instead of the flat
metal ones. Strangely enough, there are holes drilled in the playfield
for mounting the flat metal ones, but they look clean like there were
never any screws put in them.

When I first got the machine, I suspected that the original flat metal
guides had been replaced with the wire ones. After closer inspection,
they look like they may have been intentionally installed at the
factory. The only disadvantage I've found with the metal wire guides
is that the ball has a tendency to bounce up a little when it hits the
edge of the flipper rubber which makes catching and holding the ball
with the flipper a little more difficult.

Ken