hello,

i can't find the article now, but i remember reading that if delete
everything in this folder every so often that windows will boot quicker.
i'm wondering if this is really true?
any advise would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

You read a "myth".

Windows XP automatically cleans the prefetch files on
a regular basis. It is not wise to clean the entire prefetch
folder since it will slow your computer until the files
are rebuilt.

4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance
http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dr. Indera" wrote:

| hello,
|
| i can't find the article now, but i remember reading that if delete
| everything in this folder every so often that windows will boot quicker.
| i'm wondering if this is really true?
| any advise would be greatly appreciated.
|
| thank you.
| --
| Indera

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Dr. Indera wrote:

> hello,
>
> i can't find the article now, but i remember reading that if delete
> everything in this folder every so often that windows will boot quicker.
> i'm wondering if this is really true?
> any advise would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thank you.

Deleting the contents of prefetch won't help it boot quicker. Leave it be.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Gaining-Speed-Empty-Prefetch-XP.html

Heirloom, old and referrals are easier

"Dr. Indera" <dr.indera.bugoff@cant.spam.me> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> i can't find the article now, but i remember reading that if delete
> everything in this folder every so often that windows will boot quicker.
> i'm wondering if this is really true?
> any advise would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thank you.
> --
> Indera
> * * * * * * * * * *
> Don't just live life.
> Live life well.

thank you carey.

--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

: You read a "myth".
:
: Windows XP automatically cleans the prefetch files on
: a regular basis. It is not wise to clean the entire prefetch
: folder since it will slow your computer until the files
: are rebuilt.
:
: 4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance
: http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx
:
: --
: Carey Frisch
: Microsoft MVP
: Windows XP - Shell/User
: Microsoft Newsgroups
:
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
:
: "Dr. Indera" wrote:
:
: | hello,
: |
: | i can't find the article now, but i remember reading that if delete
: | everything in this folder every so often that windows will boot quicker.
: | i'm wondering if this is really true?
: | any advise would be greatly appreciated.
: |
: | thank you.
: | --
: | Indera
:

Not to down play your knowledge on XP, but for a few years I have kept
up on all files in my system files/folders... including "Prefetch",
"Software Distribution Download", amongst other normal and hidden
folders... and I've never notice "Prefetch" cleaning itself... at
all.
Do you know of some MS kb page that explains it and the length of time
between cleanings... or size before it cleans itself...I'm truly
interested.
All forums that I've ever read and all the multiple sites on
maintenance/performance...have expressed cleaning your
"Prefetch"....but not on a regular basis though... otherwise your
defeating the purpose.
Thanks.