Pavillion combo drive replacement

Hi. New here.
I'm repairing a Pavilion 533w. It seems the combo Philips CDRW/DVD-ROM drive is
dead. The computer had been freezing for the past week, the drive would not
eject a disk, and now it will not boot with the combo drive connected. It boots
fine, and seems stable, without the drive connected.
I will be trying a known-good CDR/RW drive tomorrow, just to test the IDE
channel. But I would like to replace the combo drive with one of equal
functionality.
HP wants C$221.00 for what is essentially a C$40.00 drive. And they want the old
one back.
Question - can I just install another brand combo drive? That's what I would do
with a "generic" machine, but I don't know if I will run into any driver issues
with the Pavilion and XP.
Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Paul Babiak.
--
return email paulbabiak at rogers dot com

In pricing its spare parts, HP thinks it is dealing with idiots willing to part
with their money. Other name brand manufacturers often think the same way, but
HP has always wanted people to think that its branded parts were special and
deserved a premium price. If they were "special excellent", I might pay the
price. But they are more often "special mediocre", especially in Pavilions, as
you have found with the mediocre Philips drive that needs replacing after 2
years.

Replace the CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo with a good brand name drive for a lot less
money. I would choose from among Sony, Samsung, Liteon, Goldstar, all of which
have a reasonable reputation. The specs of any new drive on the markte today
will exceed those of the drive you have right now.

The only issue you may encounter has to do with whatever CD burning software
came bundled with your computer. It may refuse to work with a non-Philips
drive. You can just as easily install and use the free CDBurnerXPPro or
Burn4Free. Either of these will do 90+% of what any commercial CD buring
software package will do... Ben Myers

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 04:30:27 -0400, Paul Babiak <noway@uwish.com> wrote:

>Hi. New here.
>I'm repairing a Pavilion 533w. It seems the combo Philips CDRW/DVD-ROM drive is
>dead. The computer had been freezing for the past week, the drive would not
>eject a disk, and now it will not boot with the combo drive connected. It boots
>fine, and seems stable, without the drive connected.
>I will be trying a known-good CDR/RW drive tomorrow, just to test the IDE
>channel. But I would like to replace the combo drive with one of equal
>functionality.
>HP wants C$221.00 for what is essentially a C$40.00 drive. And they want the old
>one back.
>Question - can I just install another brand combo drive? That's what I would do
>with a "generic" machine, but I don't know if I will run into any driver issues
>with the Pavilion and XP.
>Any advice appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul Babiak.
>--
>return email paulbabiak at rogers dot com

Thanks Ben, that's what I figured, just wanting some confirmation. I'll likely
get a free OEM version of Nero with the new drive anyway, so software shouldn't
be an issue.
However, restore CD's were never made for this machine - will there be any
issues using a non-Philips burner to make these?

Paul Babiak

Ben Myers wrote:

> In pricing its spare parts, HP thinks it is dealing with idiots willing to part
> with their money. Other name brand manufacturers often think the same way, but
> HP has always wanted people to think that its branded parts were special and
> deserved a premium price. If they were "special excellent", I might pay the
> price. But they are more often "special mediocre", especially in Pavilions, as
> you have found with the mediocre Philips drive that needs replacing after 2
> years.
>
> Replace the CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo with a good brand name drive for a lot less
> money. I would choose from among Sony, Samsung, Liteon, Goldstar, all of which
> have a reasonable reputation. The specs of any new drive on the markte today
> will exceed those of the drive you have right now.
>
> The only issue you may encounter has to do with whatever CD burning software
> came bundled with your computer. It may refuse to work with a non-Philips
> drive. You can just as easily install and use the free CDBurnerXPPro or
> Burn4Free. Either of these will do 90+% of what any commercial CD buring
> software package will do... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 04:30:27 -0400, Paul Babiak <noway@uwish.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi. New here.
>>I'm repairing a Pavilion 533w. It seems the combo Philips CDRW/DVD-ROM drive is
>>dead. The computer had been freezing for the past week, the drive would not
>>eject a disk, and now it will not boot with the combo drive connected. It boots
>>fine, and seems stable, without the drive connected.
>>I will be trying a known-good CDR/RW drive tomorrow, just to test the IDE
>>channel. But I would like to replace the combo drive with one of equal
>>functionality.
>>HP wants C$221.00 for what is essentially a C$40.00 drive. And they want the old
>>one back.
>>Question - can I just install another brand combo drive? That's what I would do
>>with a "generic" machine, but I don't know if I will run into any driver issues
>>with the Pavilion and XP.
>>Any advice appreciated.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Paul Babiak.
>>--
>>return email paulbabiak at rogers dot com

--
return email paulbabiak at rogers dot com

Should be no problem. A burner is a burner is a burner... Ben Myers