NT4 on a DX2000M PC

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Has anyone figured out how to get NT 4 installed on a DX200M computer. Any
advice would be appreicated.

Danny

I've never seen a DX200M, but it usually comes licensed with XP Pro, so it's
pretty modern. It runs a Socket 478 Celeron chip, so it is likely to have an
Intel 845, 865 or 875 motherboard chipset and maybe even graphics on the
motherboard.

After all this speculation, the short answer is to see if the INTEL web site has
the NT4 drivers for whatever chipset and graphics are in the system. If so, you
should be able to install NT4. If not, you are out of luck.

Why NT4, and not Windows 2000, which has far fewer limitations? Win 2000 gets
rid of the NT4 boot partition size limit and provides the USB support lacking in
NT4. If your answer has to do with costs (NT4 almost free these days), it's not
worth it. If your answer has to do with a software package that MUST run on
NT4, you have my sympathy... Ben Myers

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:00:52 GMT, "Danny" <dannyrobinson@canada.com> wrote:

>Has anyone figured out how to get NT 4 installed on a DX200M computer. Any
>advice would be appreicated.
>
>Danny

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes....my answer is "has to do with a software package that MUST run on NT4"

Thanks Ben
______________________________________

> I've never seen a DX200M, but it usually comes licensed with XP Pro, so
> it's
> pretty modern. It runs a Socket 478 Celeron chip, so it is likely to have
> an
> Intel 845, 865 or 875 motherboard chipset and maybe even graphics on the
> motherboard.
>
> After all this speculation, the short answer is to see if the INTEL web
> site has
> the NT4 drivers for whatever chipset and graphics are in the system. If
> so, you
> should be able to install NT4. If not, you are out of luck.
>
> Why NT4, and not Windows 2000, which has far fewer limitations? Win 2000
> gets
> rid of the NT4 boot partition size limit and provides the USB support
> lacking in
> NT4. If your answer has to do with costs (NT4 almost free these days),
> it's not
> worth it. If your answer has to do with a software package that MUST run
> on
> NT4, you have my sympathy... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:00:52 GMT, "Danny" <dannyrobinson@canada.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone figured out how to get NT 4 installed on a DX200M computer. Any
>>advice would be appreicated.
>>
>>Danny

That's what I figured. I just checked with the Intel web site. It does show
the "Intel® Application Accelerator" chipset drivers for the 845 chipset family
and NT 4.0, and it has NT 4.0 graphics drivers, essentially the same ones as for
the earlier 810 and 815 chipsets with Intel "Extreme" graphics.

It seems like you have two basic choices:

1. Attempt installation of NT 4.0 on the DX200M, followed by an attempt (with
crossed fingers) to install both sets of NT 4.0 drivers. This stands a chance
of success only if the motherboard chipset is one of the 845-series. If,
instead, the chipset is 865 or 875 or 900-series, you are out of luck with this
computer.

2. Get an older Pentium III class computer or 845-chipset Pentium 4 computer to
run the required application software.

With its transition to newer chipsets, 865 and later, Intel ceased testing any
drivers for Windows NT 4.0, which, of course, Microsoft has not supported for a
couple of years.

I hope this helps... Ben

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:44:37 GMT, "Danny" <dannyrobinson@canada.com> wrote:

>Yes....my answer is "has to do with a software package that MUST run on NT4"
>
>Thanks Ben
>______________________________________

>> I've never seen a DX200M, but it usually comes licensed with XP Pro, so
>> it's
>> pretty modern. It runs a Socket 478 Celeron chip, so it is likely to have
>> an
>> Intel 845, 865 or 875 motherboard chipset and maybe even graphics on the
>> motherboard.
>>
>> After all this speculation, the short answer is to see if the INTEL web
>> site has
>> the NT4 drivers for whatever chipset and graphics are in the system. If
>> so, you
>> should be able to install NT4. If not, you are out of luck.
>>
>> Why NT4, and not Windows 2000, which has far fewer limitations? Win 2000
>> gets
>> rid of the NT4 boot partition size limit and provides the USB support
>> lacking in
>> NT4. If your answer has to do with costs (NT4 almost free these days),
>> it's not
>> worth it. If your answer has to do with a software package that MUST run
>> on
>> NT4, you have my sympathy... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:00:52 GMT, "Danny" <dannyrobinson@canada.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone figured out how to get NT 4 installed on a DX200M computer. Any
>>>advice would be appreicated.
>>>
>>>Danny

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ben,
Thanks for all you help on this.

I had this problem with another system and the work around was in BIOS where
I could enable "Limit CPUID Maximum Value to 3". There is no option for this
on these PC's. I even flashed the BIOS to the newest version 1.16

Danny