How Can You Read Old Disk Drives

I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from them.
--
Christopher
4 answers Last reply

    Christopher wrote:
    > I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
    > recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from them.

    You haven't given much information. What kind of drives? How are you
    installing them? Are they recognized in the BIOS? Cabled properly and
    jumpers set? Drive letter assigned in Disk Management? What do you
    mean XP doesn't recognize them?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
    > recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from
    > them.
    > --
    > Christopher

    They should be perfectly readable if they've been installed properly. Win 95
    and 98 were still in the days if IDE drives, so hardware compatibility isn't
    an issue.

    The exception might be drives that had some sort of drive overlay installed
    (like ez-bios, or similar) and in that case you may need to remove the
    overlay to be able to read the data.

    Thanks. Your questions got me on the right track and now I can read them.
    --
    Christopher

    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
    > > recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from
    > > them.
    > > --
    > > Christopher
    >
    > They should be perfectly readable if they've been installed properly. Win 95
    > and 98 were still in the days if IDE drives, so hardware compatibility isn't
    > an issue.
    >
    > The exception might be drives that had some sort of drive overlay installed
    > (like ez-bios, or similar) and in that case you may need to remove the
    > overlay to be able to read the data.

    You're welcome! Glad you got it figured out.

    > Thanks. Your questions got me on the right track and now I can read them.
    > --
    > Christopher
    >

    > "D.Currie" wrote:
    >

    >> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
    >> > recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from
    >> > them.
    >> > --
    >> > Christopher
    >>
    >> They should be perfectly readable if they've been installed properly. Win
    >> 95
    >> and 98 were still in the days if IDE drives, so hardware compatibility
    >> isn't
    >> an issue.
    >>
    >> The exception might be drives that had some sort of drive overlay
    >> installed
    >> (like ez-bios, or similar) and in that case you may need to remove the
    >> overlay to be able to read the data.

Microsoft Hard Drives Disk Drives Windows XP