How Can You Read Old Disk Drives

August 4, 2005 5:54:06 PM

I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from them.
--
Christopher

More about : read disk drives

August 4, 2005 6:05:35 PM

Christopher wrote:
> I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
> recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from them.

You haven't given much information. What kind of drives? How are you
installing them? Are they recognized in the BIOS? Cabled properly and
jumpers set? Drive letter assigned in Disk Management? What do you
mean XP doesn't recognize them?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
> recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from
> them.
> --
> Christopher

They should be perfectly readable if they've been installed properly. Win 95
and 98 were still in the days if IDE drives, so hardware compatibility isn't
an issue.

The exception might be drives that had some sort of drive overlay installed
(like ez-bios, or similar) and in that case you may need to remove the
overlay to be able to read the data.
Related resources
August 5, 2005 3:33:23 PM

Thanks. Your questions got me on the right track and now I can read them.
--
Christopher

"D.Currie" wrote:

> "Christopher" <Christopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have some old hard drives from the days of '95 and '98. My XP doesn't
> > recognize the drives. Is this something I can do? I need the data from
> > them.
> > --
> > Christopher
>
> They should be perfectly readable if they've been installed properly. Win 95
> and 98 were still in the days if IDE drives, so hardware compatibility isn't
> an issue.
>
> The exception might be drives that had some sort of drive overlay installed
> (like ez-bios, or similar) and in that case you may need to remove the
> overlay to be able to read the data.

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:19:47 PM

You're welcome! Glad you got it figured out.

!