Pinball Expo 2005

OK the problem is do you want to pay to park or those that fly have
to pay for a taxi as most every hotel near the airport charges.
Acually one is 18.00 a day!! mike pacak

Speaking for everyone on RGP -- well, actually speaking for everyone on the
planet -- I think it's safe to say that we want a hotel with free shuttle
service to/from the airport, 'cause those folks will be paying for airfare
and a hotel room as it is ;-)

Randy

Orin Day wrote:
> In article <1118844229.306524.134490@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> mikepin <mgpacak@aol.com> wrote:
> >OK the problem is do you want to pay to park or those that fly have
> >to pay for a taxi as most every hotel near the airport charges.
> >Acually one is 18.00 a day!! mike pacak
>
> Mike is absolutely correct, too many travellers freeloaded off those
> hotel parking lots, so they had to start charging. I stayed at the
> Sheraton last year, parking was $10/day, I walked to/from Expo. Like
> Ramada, Hotel guests got in/out parking rights at Sheraton, others didn't.
>
> Marriott O'Hare (Higgins Rd) parking is indeed $18/day (or $23 for valet).
> At that rate it would be almost as much to park the car as renting it! :)

If/when the venue is decided, I'm probably going to do a parking recon
run. ;)

.. wrote:
> Since it wont be at the Ramada this year please find a hotel that we don't
> have to pay to park.

I certainly appreciate that this was a constant gripe about the Ramada,
but let's face it, Mike now has a huge challenge before him. He's got
to find a venue that would be willing to house a bunch of pinheads and
their games for a full weekend on very short notice. The place has to
have adequate space to house the games and exhibitors, seminar space,
banquet facilities etc. I'm sure Mike is trying to make sure the local
room rates are reasonable, and that there are close-by restaurants.
The closing of the Ramada is realistically a logistical nightmare, not
only for Expo, but for everyone else who was planning a conference,
wedding, event at that hotel. Parking fees are probably near the
bottom of Mike's long list of crises right now. I for one am rooting
for Mike that he'll find us a place to congregate this October.

steve SDTM

lscott

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

"Parking" charges aren't really the issue, the "entire" charge is.
Find a hotel with good (read: cheap) room rates and parking doesn't
matter. $69 for a room and $20 parking is the same as $89 for room
with free parking. Also, see if the hotel has a discounted parking
rate available - I was able to get free parking from the Ramada last
time using a certain reservation. The room was $10 more for one of the
nights (fri) but parking was free the whole stay.

Or, just find a hotel with Flexi-Gates(tm) and we'll solve the problem
ourselves... ;)

Lloyd Olson wrote:
> Not to mention little things like the Ramada wasn't a vnion hotel and all
> the other ones are. Mike may have problems finding a convention size area
> where yov don't have to pay someone else to bring yovr games etc. in and set
> them vp on vnion bvilt displays. LTG :)

Hmmm, I have dealt with this at trade shows bvt I didn't realize it
covld be an issve in a hotel ballroom. That covld be an expensive
problem if that's the case.

Al

mikepin wrote:

>OK the problem is do you want to pay to park or those that fly have
>to pay for a taxi as most every hotel near the airport charges.
>Actually one is 18.00 a day!! mike pacak

It might be hard to get a consensus on that one. I fly, and don't get a
rental car, so parking fees don't really affect me. However, If I did
have a car there it would burn my butt to pay $18 per day. It seems
like most major hotels would have an airport shuttle service.

Do you suspect that you will be able to find a Hotel that will have a
similar room rate as the Ramada? If not, then an increased nightly rate
plus parking fees could really be a hit for those bringing a vehicle.

Rick Swanson

pinsane wrote:
> . wrote:
> > Since it wont be at the Ramada this year please find a hotel that we don't
> > have to pay to park.
>
> I certainly appreciate that this was a constant gripe about the Ramada,
> but let's face it, Mike now has a huge challenge before him. He's got
> to find a venue that would be willing to house a bunch of pinheads and
> their games for a full weekend on very short notice. The place has to
> have adequate space to house the games and exhibitors, seminar space,
> banquet facilities etc. I'm sure Mike is trying to make sure the local
> room rates are reasonable, and that there are close-by restaurants.
> The closing of the Ramada is realistically a logistical nightmare, not
> only for Expo, but for everyone else who was planning a conference,
> wedding, event at that hotel. Parking fees are probably near the
> bottom of Mike's long list of crises right now. I for one am rooting
> for Mike that he'll find us a place to congregate this October.

Second! (_strong_ second!)

TheKorn@TheKorn.net wrote:
> pinsane wrote:
> > . wrote:
> > > Since it wont be at the Ramada this year please find a hotel that we don't
> > > have to pay to park.
> >
> > I certainly appreciate that this was a constant gripe about the Ramada,
> > but let's face it, Mike now has a huge challenge before him. He's got
> > to find a venue that would be willing to house a bunch of pinheads and
> > their games for a full weekend on very short notice. The place has to
> > have adequate space to house the games and exhibitors, seminar space,
> > banquet facilities etc. I'm sure Mike is trying to make sure the local
> > room rates are reasonable, and that there are close-by restaurants.
> > The closing of the Ramada is realistically a logistical nightmare, not
> > only for Expo, but for everyone else who was planning a conference,
> > wedding, event at that hotel. Parking fees are probably near the
> > bottom of Mike's long list of crises right now. I for one am rooting
> > for Mike that he'll find us a place to congregate this October.
>
> Second! (_strong_ second!)

If Expo needs to move, I'd be in favor of considering another hotel
location other than around O'Hare airport too, like possibly something
around Chicago's Midway airport or even in Milwaukee or somewhere else
in the general area. The only thing I can see with any real hold on us
location-wise is being close enough to the Stern factory to take a bus
ride there for the planned tour. Otherwise we can entertain ourselves
just fine no matter where we all congregate, as long as there's enough
room to hold us and suit our needs. If they wanted to have Expo in
Miami or Anchorage, I wouldn't care where it was at, I'd go anyway.
Brian Saunders Pinballs of the Past Lerna, Il.

"pinsane" <nospam4me2day@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> . wrote:
> > Since it wont be at the Ramada this year please find a hotel that we
don't
> > have to pay to park.
>
> I certainly appreciate that this was a constant gripe abovt the Ramada,
> bvt let's face it, Mike now has a hvge challenge before him. He's got
> to find a venve that wovld be willing to hovse a bvnch of pinheads and
> their games for a fvll weekend on very short notice. The place has to
> have adeqvate space to hovse the games and exhibitors, seminar space,
> banqvet facilities etc. I'm svre Mike is trying to make svre the local
> room rates are reasonable, and that there are close-by restavrants.
> The closing of the Ramada is realistically a logistical nightmare, not
> only for Expo, bvt for everyone else who was planning a conference,
> wedding, event at that hotel. Parking fees are probably near the
> bottom of Mike's long list of crises right now. I for one am rooting
> for Mike that he'll find vs a place to congregate this October.
>
> steve SDTM

Well parking may be free for Guests but drive ups are going to be a
problem!! Its seems all hotels near the airport charge.. I really
dont want to move too far out of the area there. It looks like
Marriott on Higgins MIGHT work. They have the dates but not quite
as much room.. I am going there friday am!! MIKE PACAK trying to get
er done!

On 15 Jun 2005 10:20:43 -0700, lscott@dlptech.com wrote:

>"Parking" charges aren't really the issue, the "entire" charge is.
>Find a hotel with good (read: cheap) room rates and parking doesn't
>matter. $69 for a room and $20 parking is the same as $89 for room
>with free parking.

well, dollar-wise it is, but you figure if you have to pay $20 more a
night, you would hope to get a nicer room out of the deal ;-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Also, see if the hotel has a discounted parking
>rate available - I was able to get free parking from the Ramada last
>time using a certain reservation. The room was $10 more for one of the
>nights (fri) but parking was free the whole stay.
>
>Or, just find a hotel with Flexi-Gates(tm) and we'll solve the problem
>ourselves... ;)
>
>pinlicious wrote:
>> On 15 Jun 2005 07:03:49 -0700, "mikepin" <mgpacak@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >OK the problem is do you want to pay to park or those that fly have
>> >to pay for a taxi as most every hotel near the airport charges.
>> >Acually one is 18.00 a day!! mike pacak
>>
>> how much is it for a 10 minute taxi ride nowadays? more than $18?
>>
>> at least the people flying in have the option to walk to the hotel
>> from the airport ;-)
>>
>> this is a pretty simple answer imho mike, PEOPLE WHO DRIVE BRING
>> GAMES! that is all you really need to know :)
>>
>> you cater to the people who are close, go through the trouble of
>> bringing games, and lose the parking fees. imho.
>>
>> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

YEAH!!!!
Im all for that !!!

Even if the rooms cost a little more...
Free parking would be sweee--eeet!

"." <mcrue1nojunk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Since it wont be at the Ramada this year please find a hotel that we don't
> have to pay to park.

lscott

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

mikepin wrote:
> Well parking may be free for Guests but drive ups are going to be a
> problem!! Its seems all hotels near the airport charge.. I really

Eh, this is Chicago.. the locals are used to taking it up the bum
whenever they get in or out of their cars. Pretty soon you'll have to
open a revolving charge account just to traverse the 294 loop... :)

Free for guests is good though!

agree 100%.
not saying the people flying don't contribute - they do by buying stuff,
but first consideration should be to those that bring games to make it
all possible.
Dan

pinlicious wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2005 07:03:49 -0700, "mikepin" <mgpacak@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>OK the problem is do you want to pay to park or those that fly have
>>to pay for a taxi as most every hotel near the airport charges.
>>Acually one is 18.00 a day!! mike pacak
>

> how much is it for a 10 minute taxi ride nowadays? more than $18?
>
> at least the people flying in have the option to walk to the hotel
> from the airport ;-)
>
> this is a pretty simple answer imho mike, PEOPLE WHO DRIVE BRING
> GAMES! that is all you really need to know :)
>
> you cater to the people who are close, go through the trouble of
> bringing games, and lose the parking fees. imho.
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

I would vote for a nice downtown hotel near Michigan Ave. Loads of nice
restaurants and shopping during non-pinball time. People who have never
been to Chicago would really like it compared to the Rosemont area.
Just a slight difference LOL.

Yes, I realize hotels might be a little more expensive but this is just
a once a year event so why not do it in style? It's only a 2-3 dollar
train from O'Hare for those flying in.

Mark

Randy P. wrote:
> Speaking for everyone on RGP -- well, actually speaking for everyone on the
> planet -- I think it's safe to say that we want a hotel with free shuttle
> service to/from the airport, 'cause those folks will be paying for airfare
> and a hotel room as it is ;-)
>
> Randy
>
> "mikepin" <mgpacak@aol.com> wrote in message
> > OK the problem is do you want to pay to park or those that fly have
> > to pay for a taxi as most every hotel near the airport charges.
> > Acually one is 18.00 a day!! mike pacak

In article <1118844229.306524.134490@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
mikepin <mgpacak@aol.com> wrote:
>OK the problem is do you want to pay to park or those that fly have
>to pay for a taxi as most every hotel near the airport charges.
>Acually one is 18.00 a day!! mike pacak

Mike is absolutely correct, too many travellers freeloaded off those
hotel parking lots, so they had to start charging. I stayed at the
Sheraton last year, parking was $10/day, I walked to/from Expo. Like
Ramada, Hotel guests got in/out parking rights at Sheraton, others didn't.

Marriott O'Hare (Higgins Rd) parking is indeed $18/day (or $23 for valet).
At that rate it would be almost as much to park the car as renting it! :)

OD

--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |

On 15 Jun 2005 13:20:43 -0700, "mikepin" <mgpacak@aol.com> wrote:

>Well parking may be free for Guests but drive ups are going to be a
>problem!! Its seems all hotels near the airport charge.. I really
>dont want to move too far out of the area there. It looks like
>Marriott on Higgins MIGHT work. They have the dates but not quite
>as much room.. I am going there friday am!! MIKE PACAK trying to get
>er done!

just remeber to start from the inside out. space is most important.

and make sure they have a good room to use for the pre-party and
pinbrawl! ;-)

good luck!

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

I know what you are saying Korn, having lived there until 1990. People
whose only experience of "Chicago" is seeing Rosemont is sad. If they
spent a few days on the Mag Mile downtown, they would think they were
on another planet.

> * FORGET about any local support. I work in downtown Chi-town, and it's
> a zoo when you know where you're going. Getting a whole raft of trucks
> and gear into and out of a major hotel downtown would be logistically
> impossible.

Hopefully the machine moving would not be during rush hour.

> * You guys are bitching about parking _now_. Think about $30/day, NO
> trucks, NO trailers.
>
> * Cost! (i.e. exhibit space)
>
> * Cost! (room cost)

These costs can be negotiated to bring in the people

> And I'm sure I'll think of another five reasons as soon as I hit submit.
> :)

Lets see...3 or 4 days in Rosemont or 3 or 4 days downtown. Big quality
of life issue for me anyway.

Mark

Actually, if you are flying, the hotel is right by a cta train stop
that runs directly from o'hare. This is *very* convenient and cheap
for anyone flying in to o'hare. $18 a day to park is going to kill
local support of the show though (the many poeple who bring games for
free play). I don't envy the position Mike and Rob are in, but I sure
hope they can work out something reasonable for us local guys.

In article <1118866843.070020.33790@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
mikepin <mgpacak@aol.com> wrote:
>Well parking may be free for Guests but drive ups are going to be a
>problem!! Its seems all hotels near the airport charge.. I really
>dont want to move too far out of the area there. It looks like
>Marriott on Higgins MIGHT work. They have the dates but not quite
>as much room.. I am going there friday am!! MIKE PACAK trying to get
>er done!

Standard room rate there is $219/night. Hopefully Mike can negotiate a
nice group rate!

BTW, other hotels in the area have recently been sold:

http://www.dailyherald.com/search/searchstory.asp?id=57236

OD

--

"Mark_in_PA" <mark_in_penna@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I would vote for a nice downtown hotel near Michigan Ave. Loads of
> nice restaurants and shopping during non-pinball time. People who have
> never been to Chicago would really like it compared to the Rosemont
> area. Just a slight difference LOL.
>
> Yes, I realize hotels might be a little more expensive but this is
> just a once a year event so why not do it in style? It's only a 2-3
> dollar train from O'Hare for those flying in.

There are a bunch of really _huge_ reasons why you wouldn't want to do
that:

* FORGET about any local support. I work in downtown Chi-town, and it's
a zoo when you know where you're going. Getting a whole raft of trucks
and gear into and out of a major hotel downtown would be logistically
impossible.

* You guys are bitching about parking _now_. Think about $30/day, NO
trucks, NO trailers.

* Cost! (i.e. exhibit space)

* Cost! (room cost)

And I'm sure I'll think of another five reasons as soon as I hit submit.
:)

What Mike should do is hit the marriot in Naperville. Its huge, parking is
free, traffic is light, rooms are cheaper and alot nicer as well as newer,
there is a shuttle to the airport and its much closer to my house ;-)

--
Kerry Stair

Mantis Amusements "Its all about Pinball"