sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I'm considering building a microATX system. The mobos all say they require mPGA478 processors. My question is: Is there a difference between mPGA478 and Socket 478? Ultimately I would like to run a p4 2.8G on an Intel microATX 845GE. Any input would be very helpful.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, they mean the standard Socket478. Socket 478 is an mPGA form factor to begin with, look how small the socket is!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Thanks Crashman. :)

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>

G

I have a spare couple of p4 chips lying around and a dual core Laptop T4200 2GHZ processor im thinking of building a new machine for my other half, i know when you check its specs online it says it supports pga478 sockets only. If there is no difference between the sockets, does this mean i can use any mpga, ppga, pga or 478 socket i want that supports the 800MHZ fsb of the T4200 if this is the case any recomendations as i want to attempt to overclock it too

G

I have a spare couple of p4 chips lying around and a dual core Laptop T4200 2GHZ processor im thinking of building a new machine for my other half, i know when you check its specs online it says it supports pga478 sockets only. If there is no difference between the sockets, does this mean i can use any mpga, ppga, pga or 478 socket i want that supports the 800MHZ fsb of the T4200 if this is the case any recomendations as i want to attempt to overclock it too