Folder Menu Bar

Mikeinizer

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I recently noticed that whenever I select a desktop folder and it opens, I have a menu bar (File, Edit, View, Tools, Help) that opens between the top address bar and the next bar in that folder (organize, system properties..etc) and when I drag my mouse over the file, edit..etc, those entries highlight in dark blue (barely readable) and the toolbar seems to function normally with drop-down etc. but I am not able to either toggle the toolbar on or off and any selections of toolbars under the view category do not appear to function and the only thing I am able to do is lock or unlock the toolbars in the view category.

What is this toolbar, why is it there, why can't I get rid of it, why can't I seem to modify the colors of the text and highlight (as in the case of IE where the text will turn from a black color to white when the highlight hovers in that toolbar to make it readable) and why don't any of my settings in the folder options change or fix this toolbar?

I have uninstalled any rogue toolbars in my system and nothing seems to work. I have advanced experience with computers, but I'm perplexed and frustrated with this issue. Please Help!

Running: Windows 7 Ultimate in 32bit format. Again, my issue is not with Internet Explorer but rather Windows 7 Folders.

I tried to paste a picture of my issue here, but this forum doesn't appear to allow attachments.

Mikeinizer

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
After receiving no replies to this thread, I found my answer from "A Guy" on Windows Seven Forums and here is the solution:

Try this, make a backup of the registry key just in case:

Registry - Backup and Restore

Open regedit

Start> In search box type regedit> Enter

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser

(Yes, I know your issue is with Windows explorer )

In the pane on the right, delete the key ITBar7Layout

Restart your PC and see if that has fixed it. A Guy