Docs To Go on a Palm T3

October 14, 2004 9:49:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone else has seen a similar problem with DTG on the T3.
The problem I am having is that when I go into Versamail, create a new
message and try to attach a document such as an Excel spreadsheet Docs To
Go does not show any valid documents on the handheld.

In case you aren't familiar with how this works, when you tell Versamail
that you want to attach a document it opens up a dialog window in which you
can specifiy what type of item you want as an attachment (Vcards,
Documents, etc). When you select Documents it calls Docs To Go and scans for
valid documents on the handheld (or SD card if you want).

In my case the scan produces no document list even though these documents do
show up in DTG if I run it separately. From withing DTG I can select a
document and use the SEND menu item to send it to Versamail which works just
fine. I suspect that Versamail is built into ROM and it is calling the
original DTG application which was also included on ROM with the T3. Since I
have installed the update (which is in RAM) there is a conflict.

It really is annoying given that the T3 built-in applications can be updated
as we all know from the big OS update that Palm did earlier in the year.

I wonder if it would be worth it to try and burn DTG7 into the T3 ROM? Has
anyone tried that? Any information you might have on this issue would be
appreciated. I am a bit PO'd with DataViz as they now require that you have
the latest version of a product before they will even allow you to submit an
email to Tech Support. I am not enthusiastic about shelling out another $30
for the upgrade without knowing if the new version works any better.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
TC

More about : docs palm

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:49:31 AM

Tony Clark <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am wondering if anyone else has seen a similar problem with DTG on
> the T3. The problem I am having is that when I go into Versamail,
> create a new message and try to attach a document such as an Excel
> spreadsheet Docs To Go does not show any valid documents on the
> handheld.

I don't have a T3, but I recognize the symptoms. VersaMail doesn't scan the
entire card for documents, but only looks in a couple of places -- the root
folder (\) and \Palm\Launcher\, unless I'm mistaken. DocumentsToGo places
documents in \Palm\Programs\DXTG\, IIRC, which isn't one of the places
VersaMail looks.

Workaround: Copy the files to where VersaMail can find them.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:49:30 GMT, "Tony Clark"
<curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>Greetings,
>
>I am wondering if anyone else has seen a similar problem with DTG on the T3.
>The problem I am having is that when I go into Versamail, create a new
>message and try to attach a document such as an Excel spreadsheet Docs To
>Go does not show any valid documents on the handheld.
>
>In case you aren't familiar with how this works, when you tell Versamail
>that you want to attach a document it opens up a dialog window in which you
>can specifiy what type of item you want as an attachment (Vcards,
>Documents, etc). When you select Documents it calls Docs To Go and scans for
>valid documents on the handheld (or SD card if you want).
>
>In my case the scan produces no document list even though these documents do
>show up in DTG if I run it separately. From withing DTG I can select a
>document and use the SEND menu item to send it to Versamail which works just
>fine. I suspect that Versamail is built into ROM and it is calling the
>original DTG application which was also included on ROM with the T3. Since I
>have installed the update (which is in RAM) there is a conflict.
>
>It really is annoying given that the T3 built-in applications can be updated
>as we all know from the big OS update that Palm did earlier in the year.
>
>I wonder if it would be worth it to try and burn DTG7 into the T3 ROM? Has
>anyone tried that? Any information you might have on this issue would be
>appreciated. I am a bit PO'd with DataViz as they now require that you have
>the latest version of a product before they will even allow you to submit an
>email to Tech Support. I am not enthusiastic about shelling out another $30
>for the upgrade without knowing if the new version works any better.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Cheers
>TC

Arthur's suggestion not withstanding, also consider that apparently
VersaMail won't email DTG files, so while in DTG, open your document,
and save it as a M$ document. VersaMail should be happy then.
October 14, 2004 11:25:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:k49sm0pm9s6tj4p07lm502cvkddcdrbl71@4ax.com...
SNIP

> Arthur's suggestion not withstanding, also consider that apparently
> VersaMail won't email DTG files, so while in DTG, open your document,
> and save it as a M$ document. VersaMail should be happy then.

Actually Versamail will send both DTG and MS documents. If you start by
opening DTG, selecting a document, and choosing SEND from the menu you can
email it using Versamail.

If you start by opening Versamail, create a new email message and then
select Attachments from the menu the operation fails when you choose
Documents as the attachment type from within Versamail. What happens is that
when you set the type to "documents" Versamail calls up DTG and does a scan
for documents. DTG reports "no valid documents" but of course this is
incorrect.

There is supposedly a new version of Versamail (v2.7) but I can't find a way
to download it from the PalmOne site.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:12:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:25:11 GMT, "Tony Clark"
<curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
>message news:k49sm0pm9s6tj4p07lm502cvkddcdrbl71@4ax.com...
>SNIP
>
>> Arthur's suggestion not withstanding, also consider that apparently
>> VersaMail won't email DTG files, so while in DTG, open your document,
>> and save it as a M$ document. VersaMail should be happy then.
>>
>Actually Versamail will send both DTG and MS documents. If you start by
>opening DTG, selecting a document, and choosing SEND from the menu you can
>email it using Versamail.
>
>If you start by opening Versamail, create a new email message and then
>select Attachments from the menu the operation fails when you choose
>Documents as the attachment type from within Versamail. What happens is that
>when you set the type to "documents" Versamail calls up DTG and does a scan
>for documents. DTG reports "no valid documents" but of course this is
>incorrect.
>
>There is supposedly a new version of Versamail (v2.7) but I can't find a way
>to download it from the PalmOne site.

The condition where DTG can send either type of document sounds like
it might be explained by DTG doing an "on-the-fly" conversion from DTG
to MS prior to switching to VM. Or does it actually send a DTG file as
opposed to a MS word file? If it does the "on-the-fly" conversion, it
would explain why the VM shipped with the T|3 wouldn't understand the
DTG files, but would understand the MS files already converted.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:29:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message >

SNIP

> The condition where DTG can send either type of document sounds like
> it might be explained by DTG doing an "on-the-fly" conversion from DTG
> to MS prior to switching to VM. Or does it actually send a DTG file as
> opposed to a MS word file? If it does the "on-the-fly" conversion, it
> would explain why the VM shipped with the T|3 wouldn't understand the
> DTG files, but would understand the MS files already converted.

DTG can send as a DTG file or as an MS file. It converts based on your
choosing the format to send it in. In other words you select a document and
then select SEND from the main menu. A dialog window opens with the choice
to send as Documents to Go file or to send a MS Word/MS Excel file. The
conversion is done on-the-fly if you select the MS option.

When trying to add a document as an attachment from within Versamail a
dialog window is opened and the selections are From (handheld or files from
card) and Type. The drop-down menu for Type gives you many choices including
Address, Application, Appointment, Database, Document, MS Excel, MS Word and
some others. Choosing MS Excel or MS Word displays a list of MS files
currently on the handheld (or on the card if you choose that option). If you
choose Documents then Versamail opens up Docs to Go and scans for documents
on the handheld (or card). The bug is that no files are displayed and
therefore there is no way to add the files as an attachment.

So far Palm is advising to do a hard reset and reload. Palm also hasn't made
Versamail 2.7 available for the T3. Not sure why and I am not sure that it
would fix this problem anyway.

DataViz isn't providing any support because this is not the most current
version of the product.(It happens to be 1 revision behind their newly
released version 7) They are indicating that they think it might be fixed in
the latest version of the product but they want me to shell out $29 USD to
find out. I am really ticked at DataViz at this point given that their
product doesn't work and they refuse to support it or provide a patch.
Generally speaking the product is pretty good, although it has had some
nasty bugs such as the issue with the Palm Find command. That one they fixed
and provided patches.

Cheers
TC
October 20, 2004 5:20:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Not to defend Dataviz *too* much, but generally the way these licensing
arrangements work is that one company pays a very low price for the software
to distribute it to all of their customers in exchange for less support. I
don't know the exact terms of palmOne/DataViz's contract, of course, but its
possible DataViz feels palmOne should support it and vice versa and hence
nothing gets fixed. Either way, we all lose out. Its almost like "trial
ware" or something. ;-)

--
tim@palmzone.net
http://www.palmzone.net

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "David W. Poole, Jr." <KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
> message >
>
> SNIP
>

>> The condition where DTG can send either type of document sounds like
>> it might be explained by DTG doing an "on-the-fly" conversion from DTG
>> to MS prior to switching to VM. Or does it actually send a DTG file as
>> opposed to a MS word file? If it does the "on-the-fly" conversion, it
>> would explain why the VM shipped with the T|3 wouldn't understand the
>> DTG files, but would understand the MS files already converted.
>>
> DTG can send as a DTG file or as an MS file. It converts based on your
> choosing the format to send it in. In other words you select a document
> and then select SEND from the main menu. A dialog window opens with the
> choice to send as Documents to Go file or to send a MS Word/MS Excel file.
> The conversion is done on-the-fly if you select the MS option.
>
> When trying to add a document as an attachment from within Versamail a
> dialog window is opened and the selections are From (handheld or files
> from card) and Type. The drop-down menu for Type gives you many choices
> including Address, Application, Appointment, Database, Document, MS Excel,
> MS Word and some others. Choosing MS Excel or MS Word displays a list of
> MS files currently on the handheld (or on the card if you choose that
> option). If you choose Documents then Versamail opens up Docs to Go and
> scans for documents on the handheld (or card). The bug is that no files
> are displayed and therefore there is no way to add the files as an
> attachment.
>
> So far Palm is advising to do a hard reset and reload. Palm also hasn't
> made Versamail 2.7 available for the T3. Not sure why and I am not sure
> that it would fix this problem anyway.
>
> DataViz isn't providing any support because this is not the most current
> version of the product.(It happens to be 1 revision behind their newly
> released version 7) They are indicating that they think it might be fixed
> in the latest version of the product but they want me to shell out $29 USD
> to find out. I am really ticked at DataViz at this point given that their
> product doesn't work and they refuse to support it or provide a patch.
> Generally speaking the product is pretty good, although it has had some
> nasty bugs such as the issue with the Palm Find command. That one they
> fixed and provided patches.
>
> Cheers
> TC

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 9:09:42 AM

"Tim@PalmZone.net" <tim@palmzone.net> wrote in message
> Not to defend Dataviz *too* much, but generally the way these licensing
> arrangements work is that one company pays a very low price for the
> software to distribute it to all of their customers in exchange for less
> support. I don't know the exact terms of palmOne/DataViz's contract, of
> course, but its possible DataViz feels palmOne should support it and vice
> versa and hence nothing gets fixed. Either way, we all lose out. Its
> almost like "trial ware" or something. ;-)
>
> --
> tim@palmzone.net
> http://www.palmzone.net
> Check out the new fully interactive, community-based PalmZone.net!

SNIP

I don't know what the legal terms and conditions are but DataViz has always
supported Docs To Go even if I acquired it by virtue of buying a Palm. The
issue is that now DataViz has decided that only the latest versions should
get support which is a crock since the previous versions don't work as
advertised. I understand that SW companies can't support every version ever
distributed to customers but N-1 versions should be supported IMHO.
Basically what they are saying is that if you buy my product the only way
you may get bug fixes or support is if you buy another version of my
product. That is unacceptable in my opinion.

If the product does not work as advertised then they should either provide a
patch to that version or provide a no cost upgrade to the version that does
work. For the most part I have been happy with DataViz's support over the
years. It's only recently that they have implemented this new support policy
and I guess I'll have to consider other competitive products.

Cheers
TC
!