jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
I have a friend who put together a new computer.

Stealth 420w power supply
P4 3.066 GHz
Asus P4PE Motherboard
512 megs of PC2700 Corsair XMS
Plextor 40x cdrw
Toshiba 1712 DVD-rom
Maxtor 7200 80 gig HD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
GeForce 2 MX (temp card till the GF FX comes out)
US Robotics 56k Modem

His case has 2 spots for fans, which he placed 2 stealth 80MM fans. His problem is that his computer keeps locking up. I believe it's a heat problem but I figured I could throw the problem out and get suggestions. He has lockups with cpu intensive processing. I had him download Sandra and run the burn test, it freezes up anywhere within the first cpu test to the 2'nd cycle on the cpu test. His processor runs from 36*C up to 58*C during the test. He is using the Intel stock fan but it does not look like the fan shown in tom's review of the 3.06ghz P4. It's square instead of rounded but does have a copper base. The fans run around 3000 rpm. Anyone know any reasons it might be freezing up? I think it's a mix between poor case cooling and the IDE cables getting in the way, but I wanted your opinion also.

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
58* should not be too hot, he should only be locking up at 70 or higher, in fact the temperature scaling of the cpu should keep it from ever "locking up," it should just get slower.
are you sure the temperature monitor is accurate?

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

janusfeivinsama

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Well, thats just my problem. Im using the asus software to read the cpu temp. 58 is the highest it has gotten. that was running three consecutive cpu intensive benchmarks back to back. i dunno if its a bad chip or if something else is causing the system to freeze. not too long after i ran those benchmarks i tried running four intances of winamp simultaneously at realtime priority. cpu usage was around 7 % or so... yet is still locked up. i have no clue as to whats wrong with my comp. my OS is XP pro. im not sure if that has anything to do with it
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by janusfeivinsama on 01/23/03 01:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I had a lot of issues with my computer locking up when I switched to Win XP. I had an older chipset KT266 and when the memory timings were aggressive it would BSOD. It didn't matter what brand or configuration of memory I used. Eventually I had to live with disabling the bank interleave. I used corsair xms 2400.

The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. -George Bernard Shaw

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
PS. Sweet system set-up d00d. That's the computer I've been dreaming about.

The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. -George Bernard Shaw

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
maybe test the memory with memtest86, search for it on google and you'll get what you need
a bios flash could improve stability maybe

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

tastim

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
I'd bet 100 bucks on his motherboard having a bad BIOS chip.

While 58 is rather warm for a Pentium, it's hardly CPU life threatening.

My suggestion:
1) RMA the mobo.
2) Buy some Artic Silver 3.
3) Clean and reapply the heatsink with the AS3.

janusfeivinsama

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
well guys, thanx for your suggestions..seems the problem was in my actual xp installation. running my sys fine with no crashes thus far hopefully it stays this way ;).

Happy Tweaking :)

A path diverged into a black wood, and I--
I made my own path down the middle,
and that has led to treasures undiscovered by others.

janusfeivinsama

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Just an update.. maybe the problem wasnt my install of xp but the pci controller my hd was plugged into.. still in the testing process

A path diverged into a black wood, and I--
I made my own path down the middle,
and that has led to treasures undiscovered by others.