user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Guys,
I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his Win-xp because
of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it! I don't know
why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash out "Invalid
Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint of needing
Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console, choose the
option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to follow but the
direction is unclear and lost.

Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.

Thanks In Advance,
--Rino

You need to check and remove virus before OS installation.
Therefore, you must format HDD, boot with floppy diskett or bootable CD that
contains virus remover. After that you need to install OS.

Please get free shareware V3+Neo at
http://info.ahnlab.com/download/download_neo.jsp, which is a virus remover to
be used with floppy diskett.

"<<< R I N O >>>"님� 작성한 내용:

> Hi Guys,
> I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his Win-xp because
> of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it! I don't know
> why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash out "Invalid
> Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint of needing
> Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console, choose the
> option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to follow but the
> direction is unclear and lost.
>
> Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
> --Rino

Even though you have any virus remover. it is useless if it is infected.
If the virus is Nimda, you can get remover from MS download page, which can
cure at windows operation.

"Knight"님� 작성한 내용:

> You need to check and remove virus before OS installation.
> Therefore, you must format HDD, boot with floppy diskett or bootable CD that
> contains virus remover. After that you need to install OS.
>
> Please get free shareware V3+Neo at
> http://info.ahnlab.com/download/download_neo.jsp, which is a virus remover to
> be used with floppy diskett.
>

> "<<< R I N O >>>"님� 작성한 내용:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> > I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his Win-xp because
> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it! I don't know
> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash out "Invalid
> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint of needing
> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console, choose the
> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to follow but the
> > direction is unclear and lost.
> >
> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.
> >
> > Thanks In Advance,
> > --Rino

Wouldn't it be nice if we knew what type of a system you are trying to
install XP onto??
That way we wouldn't have to guess and give you a million answers but
actually narrow it down to something specific!!!
answers:
Hard drive full............buy a new one......or format and fresh install XP
2 operating system on HD............which is why HD is full
old computer............buy a new one
not enough memory.............buy more
upgrade does not delete trojans............................formatting the
drive will
Google..........Repair XP

peterk

the problem
"<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
> I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his
> Win-xp because
> of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it!
> I don't know
> why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash
> out "Invalid
> Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint
> of needing
> Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console,
> choose the
> option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to
> follow but the
> direction is unclear and lost.
>
> Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
> --Rino

Hello, peterk.
RINO trys to upgrade OS, which means that HDD and M/C have sufficient room.
I recommend him to fresh installation, instead of upgrade.
Upgrade is always troublesome and eventually makes to format and re-install
again.

"peterk"님� 작성한 내용:

> Wouldn't it be nice if we knew what type of a system you are trying to
> install XP onto??
> That way we wouldn't have to guess and give you a million answers but
> actually narrow it down to something specific!!!
> answers:
> Hard drive full............buy a new one......or format and fresh install XP
> 2 operating system on HD............which is why HD is full
> old computer............buy a new one
> not enough memory.............buy more
> upgrade does not delete trojans............................formatting the
> drive will
> Google..........Repair XP
>
> peterk
>

> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> > I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his
> > Win-xp because
> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it!
> > I don't know
> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash
> > out "Invalid
> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint
> > of needing
> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console,
> > choose the
> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to
> > follow but the
> > direction is unclear and lost.
> >
> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.
> >
> > Thanks In Advance,
> > --Rino

sorry to disagree but HD had sufficient room for the install but then it is
quite possible not enough room to run quickly.
But I do agree with the Virus part...........format the HD and do a fresh
install.
peterk

the problem
"Knight" <Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, peterk.
> RINO trys to upgrade OS, which means that HDD and M/C have sufficient
> room.
> I recommend him to fresh installation, instead of upgrade.
> Upgrade is always troublesome and eventually makes to format and
> re-install
> again.
>
> "peterk"?? ??? ??:
>
>> Wouldn't it be nice if we knew what type of a system you are trying to
>> install XP onto??
>> That way we wouldn't have to guess and give you a million answers but
>> actually narrow it down to something specific!!!
>> answers:
>> Hard drive full............buy a new one......or format and fresh install
>> XP
>> 2 operating system on HD............which is why HD is full
>> old computer............buy a new one
>> not enough memory.............buy more
>> upgrade does not delete trojans............................formatting the
>> drive will
>> Google..........Repair XP
>>
>> peterk
>>

>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about
>> the problem
>> "<<< R I N O >>>" <Sorry@NoMail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Guys,
>> > I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his
>> > Win-xp because
>> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install
>> > it!
>> > I don't know
>> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line
>> > flash
>> > out "Invalid
>> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and
>> > complaint
>> > of needing
>> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console,
>> > choose the
>> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to
>> > follow but the
>> > direction is unclear and lost.
>> >
>> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take
>> > forever.
>> >
>> > Thanks In Advance,
>> > --Rino

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

-- If you find a virus keeps coming back after you delete it, it's most
probably infected the System Restore folder, the best way to solve this is to
disable System Restore, reboot your machine and then enable it again. System
Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x.TURN 'off' Windows XP System
Restore {{{ THIS IS A MUST >BEFORE< REMOVING VIRUSUS , TROJANS ETC.
}}}RUNNING ALL SCANS IN 'SAFE MODE' IS ENCOURAGED {TURN ON PC , BEGIN TAPPING
f8 }.

To turn off System Restore, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, right-click
My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab.
3. Select the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System
Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK.
4. Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore.

Turn on System Restore
To turn on System Restore, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, right-click
My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab.
3. Clear the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System
Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK .
KD

"<<< R I N O >>>" wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his Win-xp because
> of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it! I don't know
> why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash out "Invalid
> Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint of needing
> Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console, choose the
> option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to follow but the
> direction is unclear and lost.
>
> Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
> --Rino

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Knight, Peterk & Installer, et al,
1. I took out his HD and connect as slave HD in my PC to take out all Viruses. His HD
is virus FREE now.
2. I put back his HD changed to master setting and install fresh Win-xp and upgrade or
continues in installing because 2 times were stop of accidental switch-off, etc.
3. Because installation of O.S. take forever to finish - we stop the process BUT PC
knows where we leave off and continues the installation. I remembered one time I chose
Upgrade.
4. No - we did not upgraded from an earlier version of Windows.
5. The most important thing now is to fix "Boot.ini file"
6. How to go to Recovery Console or Repair/Recover the Boot & configuration files.
7. His HD has 3 partitions, is it possible to format C: drive only and install fresh OS
again if No. 5 & 6 has no solutions? What is the best method, through My Computer >
Format or using Maxtor Hard Drive Installation Software?

Thanks Guys for coming to my aid,
--Rino

"<<< R I N O >>>" wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his Win-xp because
> of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it! I don't
know
> why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash out "Invalid
> Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint of needing
> Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console, choose the
> option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to follow but the
> direction is unclear and lost.
>
> Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.
>
> Thanks In Advance,
> --Rino

I think that the best way for you now is to install OS from the first stage.
1. boot with A diskette or CD.
2. format C drive only.
3. install OS.
When you install OS, cut off internet and install Anti-Virus.
The latest virus like CIH or Nimda, etc can infect your M/C within a couple
of second.
4. No.5 & 6 you asked should be forgotten.
5. If the M/C has D & E Drives, you'd better make backup image to store there.
The reason why we emphasize to make D & E Drives is to store backup files
there.
If you need not backup files at your M/C, you need not to keep several
partitions.

--
http://free.mizc.com

"<<< R I N O >>>"님� 작성한 내용:

> [...]
> Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK .
> KD
>

> "<<< R I N O >>>" wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> > I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his Win-xp because
> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it! I don't
> know
> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash out "Invalid
> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint of needing
> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console, choose the
> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to follow but the
> > direction is unclear and lost.
> >
> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.

CIH is not a "new" virus. It is "quite" old one that can "nuke" the PC's
BIOS. This if why it is nicknamed "Chernobyl" virus.

> [...]
>>

>> "<<< R I N O >>>" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Guys,
>> > I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his
>> > Win-xp because
>> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install
>> > it! I don't
>> know
>> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line
>> > flash out "Invalid
>> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and
>> > complaint of needing
>> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console,
>> > choose the
>> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to
>> > follow but the
>> > direction is unclear and lost.
>> >
>> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Knight & Yves, et al,
Thank you Knight for your line by line responses. Regarding No. 1, I've tried it - both
diskette & Win-xp CD and no way to proceed to No. 2 - except to continues to No. 3.

Please don't worry about Virus - his HD is 100% clean - I even attached it to my
working PC to clean-up all viruses. I know nobody dare to do that and I hope all should
believed me now. I accepted his pleaded because his PC cannot complete in virus
scanning and his PC STOP functioning (HD stop - death! but PC is still on) in all
program installed. Cold boot (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) can not worked. After we installed a
fresh O.S. stopping problem has eliminated BUT PC run very slow because PC complaint of
Invalid Boot.ini file. We can forget about virus this time - Thanks!

>If you need not backup files at your M/C, you need not to keep several partitions.
Thanks Knight, for mentioning it. How can I make the C: drive and D: drive merge into
one drive? Does Win-xp capable of doing it? What free shareware available?

Thank you (and all) for your input and suggestions!
--Rino

> [...]

> KD
>

> "<<< R I N O >>>" wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> > I need your help to troubleshoot a friend PC. Even when we upgrade his Win-xp
because
> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install it! I don't
> know
> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line flash out
"Invalid
> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and complaint of needing
> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console, choose the
> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to follow but
the
> > direction is unclear and lost.
> >
> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take forever.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
This program does an excellent job without data loss
Download it and you have a certain time limit...30 days I think
Expand it to a floppy and boot with the floppy.Read the TXT file that comes
with it for detailed instructions before you boot from the floppy

> [...]
>> > Win-xp
> because
>> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install
>> > it! I don't
>> know
>> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line
>> > flash out
> "Invalid
>> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and
>> > complaint of needing
>> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console,
>> > choose the
>> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to
>> > follow but
> the
>> > direction is unclear and lost.
>> >
>> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Peterk,
Thanks, BootItNG is good BUT if you try PartitionMagic (PM) it is much better. First
timer using it has no problem of reverting to my original state of partitions. If I
close the program and PM ask me if I want the change make and if I choose 'no' then
nothing has ever change no matter how many steps I went through - Awesome program.

Yes, PM give Demo BUT has no effect if you make some changes to your HD not until you
buy it.

By the way, I have this other problem. I noticed there is one Unallocated partition
about 11GB big and I think it never use because we cannot normally see it. How can I
claim it back and add it into C: drive?

Regards,
--Rino

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> [...]

>> > Win-xp
> because
>> > of Trojan Virus infestation - it took almost the whole day to install
>> > it! I don't
>> know
>> > why very s-l-o-w and when Windows start to reboot - one error line
>> > flash out
> "Invalid
>> > Boot.ini file". We tried to upgrade again but Windows stop and
>> > complaint of needing
>> > Boot.ini file and indicated us to "Restart and go to Recovery Console,
>> > choose the
>> > option to Repair/Recover your Boot & configuration files." We like to
>> > follow but
> the
>> > direction is unclear and lost.
>> >
>> > Everything we try to execute run very very slow - liked it take

Computor slow occurs due to;
1. Virus infected
2. Critical files coruppted
3. HDD & Memory not sufficient.

In your case of unallocated 11GB, do as follows;
1. detach the HDD and attach to your computor.
2. make a backup image of D & E drives or any Data from the HDD.
3. do re-partition work, and install OS to C Drive.
4. restore DATA from the backup images.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Knight,
1. We'll do your No. 1 & 2.
2. How can we do merge all 3 visible partitions and including one Unallocated
partition? We're planning to format the whole HD and do partition for ONLY 2 this time.
Please give procedure to proceed. Thanks!

Computor slow occurs due to;
1. Virus infected
2. Critical files coruppted
3. HDD & Memory not sufficient.

In your case of unallocated 11GB, do as follows;
1. detach the HDD and attach to your computor.
2. make a backup image of D & E drives or any Data from the HDD.
3. do re-partition work, and install OS to C Drive.
4. restore DATA from the backup images.

As you see,
If you boot with floppy diskette, you'll see A prompt like ;

A>fdisk
Read and follow the instructions.

*** Please don't forget to make backup images with Symantec ghost and I
recommend "ghost2003" version

"<<< R I N O >>>" wrote:
> Hi Knight,
> 1. We'll do your No. 1 & 2.
> 2. How can we do merge all 3 visible partitions and including one Unallocated
> partition? We're planning to format the whole HD and do partition for ONLY 2 this time.
> Please give procedure to proceed. Thanks!
>

> "Knight" <Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Computor slow occurs due to;
> 1. Virus infected
> 2. Critical files coruppted
> 3. HDD & Memory not sufficient.
>
> In your case of unallocated 11GB, do as follows;
> 1. detach the HDD and attach to your computor.
> 2. make a backup image of D & E drives or any Data from the HDD.
> 3. do re-partition work, and install OS to C Drive.
> 4. restore DATA from the backup images.

Partition work merges all the splitted drives to one, and can devide several
logical drives according to user's command.

The reason why makes logical drives through partition work, is to store
backup data there.
If you use only one drive( C: ) only, you'll lose all the data when you
cannot boot.

--
http://free.mizc.com

"<<< R I N O >>>" wrote:

> Hi Knight,
> 1. We'll do your No. 1 & 2.
> 2. How can we do merge all 3 visible partitions and including one Unallocated
> partition? We're planning to format the whole HD and do partition for ONLY 2 this time.
> Please give procedure to proceed. Thanks!
>

> "Knight" <Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Computor slow occurs due to;
> 1. Virus infected
> 2. Critical files coruppted
> 3. HDD & Memory not sufficient.
>
> In your case of unallocated 11GB, do as follows;
> 1. detach the HDD and attach to your computor.
> 2. make a backup image of D & E drives or any Data from the HDD.
> 3. do re-partition work, and install OS to C Drive.
> 4. restore DATA from the backup images.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Knight,
Sorry, fdisk not working using every different DOS combinations. Luckily the HD is a
Maxtor brand and I used my Maxtor Max-Blast Plus II (CD & floppy) to do the partition
and formatting. Before this could be works I also make changed in PC BIOS for 1st boot
is CD-ROM.

We succeeded in Partiton & Formatting the whole HD with Maxtor HD Installation
software. Installed Win-xp (O.S.) completed after 11 hours! PC is still running very
slow - even in booting! With only OS in PC, HD is about 36GB (D: drive about 22GB) and
RAM is about 990MB. The only new in this PC is the motherboard (MoBo) which were
replaced by MoBo company.

What could be the culprit in this slow PC? We did installed back all working components
into that MoBo, fresh formatted, fresh OS, no boot error message this time BUT PC still
booting very slow. Hopes we have the same thingking.

Oh yeah, one booting message: Do you want to Download, Open or Save "msobshell.htm"
located at C: Windows/shell.32. We chose Open and nothing were open. No DSL nor
dial-up connection. Searching in my own PC found no "msobshell.htm".

Thanks!
--Rino