Sign in with
Your question

AMD ATHLON MP OR XP

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2003 4:39:08 AM

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO CPU'S? THERE IS A BIG PRICE DIFFERENCE! MP ALOT MORE EXPENSIVE!

More about : amd athlon

January 23, 2003 7:04:29 AM

The MP is certified and enabled for multiple processor computers. The XP is not.
AREA51
January 23, 2003 8:11:11 AM

The MP is for using in a multi processor motherboard, so dont get it unless u want to have a multi CPU platform. However if you do want more than one CPU apparently the XP and the MP are exactly the same, i know of a web site that stopped selling MPs because they were just the same as XPs but a lot more expensive.

Why use windows when you can use doors?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 23, 2003 2:28:21 PM

i think the MP can be setup to run as 2 separate processors under windows2k/XP.. same as intels hyperthreading crap...

i could be wrong tho
January 23, 2003 2:40:43 PM

Indeed you r wrong....

MP's r Multi-Processor (MP) Enabled....Essentialy there the same as XP's....that is 1 for 2....but u cant put 2 XP Chips in a dual board......thats what the MP is for.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
January 23, 2003 3:11:28 PM

You can put two XP's in a system if you close the L5 bridge. This is not guaranteed to work so if you mess up then you are out the money. Heh.. but the price is so much cheaper you could buy 4 xp's for the price of 2 mp's so technically you get two shots at it. But I wouldn't suggest it unless you are good at that kind of stuff.

Even this one I have were Scam is hammering Poobah in the doodoo hole with a lawn dart as Eden gives birth to something that resembles a cheese log with almunds on <b><font color=red>Fredi’s</b></font color=red> tummytum?
January 23, 2003 4:25:00 PM

thats ghey.. lol

charging more money for the same chip. i didnt know soldering was so expensive ^_^

i did think i was wrong..
January 23, 2003 6:59:12 PM

I bought and paid for my new XP.. but got myself one MP.. :-)
January 24, 2003 3:47:29 AM

I know u can do that to dude....not something to try for fun though...and i bet u and XP with the L5 connected wont have ne issues running in dual mode.....i mean if u can have CPU as a Duron and the other a XP 1600+ w/ L5 connected as a dual system...im sure 2 XP's of whatever speed with L5 connected will work fine =)

If ur wondering a buddy of mien did that for fun...and it worked with no issues either....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
!