256MB PCI Express™ x16 ATI Radeon X600 SE vs. 256MB PCI Ex..

I'm planning to order a Dimension 9100 that will not be used for
gaming. I will use it for some photo editing, otherwise sharpness of
text will be very important to me. Which of the following cards which
are offered with the 9100 would you say is better for what I am
looking for?

256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

256MB PCI Express x16 nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $135.00 ]

Thanks!

George
gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

George Earl wrote:
> I'm planning to order a Dimension 9100 that will not be used for
> gaming. I will use it for some photo editing, otherwise sharpness of
> text will be very important to me. Which of the following cards which
> are offered with the 9100 would you say is better for what I am
> looking for?
>
> 256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
>
> 256MB PCI Express x16 nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $135.00 ]
>
> Thanks!
>

> George
> gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

Also agree with Tom. Unless you are gaming, there is NO need to add the
6800. You will be perfectly happy with the X600 or the X300.

Either would be fine. The 128MB X300 would be just as good for you. Photos
will never use much of the video memory -- heck a 16MB card would be fine.

I have an older 9800Pro 128MB and spend considerable time editing large
photos (my camera outputs 12mp). Plenty of power.

Tom
"George Earl" <gearl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm planning to order a Dimension 9100 that will not be used for
> gaming. I will use it for some photo editing, otherwise sharpness of
> text will be very important to me. Which of the following cards which
> are offered with the 9100 would you say is better for what I am
> looking for?
>
> 256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
>
> 256MB PCI Express x16 nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $135.00 ]
>
> Thanks!
>

> George
> gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

Thanks, Tom.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:q%qJe.38497$iG6.13123@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Either would be fine. The 128MB X300 would be just as good for you. Photos will never use much of the video memory -- heck a
> 16MB card would be fine.

Given that the OP's needs sound modest and the 9100 could be outfitted
with a newer graphics card if/when necessary, there is something to be
said for purchasing the system with a low-end card. However, it might be
worthwhile to touch on two related issues.

Firstly, the low-end cards offered in the 9100:

128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

are HyperMemory boards and thus they are NOT equipped with that amount
of memory. I think the X300 is equipped with 32MB and the X600 is equipped
with 128MB. They augment that by consuming *system* memory. Exactly
how much of a performance hit (graphics and otherwise) that approach involves,
I don't know.

Secondly, although it is still a ways off, Windows Vista is coming. Some of
those who are purchasing a computer today will want to run it on that system,
and I'm sure some of those will want to run the most visually appealing user
interface. IIRC, the last thing I read said 64MB minimum graphics memory
for Aero Glass, 128MB recommended. Possibly even 256MB if running at
very high resolutions. Whatever the case, it seems as though the uber fancy
Aero interface will require some hefty [3D] graphics hardware. I can only
wonder how well it would run on those HyperMemory boards, if that is of
concern to anyone.

> I have an older 9800Pro 128MB and spend considerable time editing large photos (my camera outputs 12mp). Plenty of power

Yeah, plenty more than an X600 SE much less an X300 SE with <cough>
HyperMemory.

ricardo

That's good information to know about the graphics cards Hypermemory
uses system memory and only has 32Meg or so on the actual card itself.
I didn't know this, so thanks User N.
ricardo