hp g85 hpofxm07.exe causing problems - end task at shudown

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have a g85 networked through a jetdirect 300x. On my recently cleanly
installed XP SP2 machine, I'm watching an "end task" dialog pop up and
then go away during shutdown.

the offending program is hpofxm07.exe
Being an intuitive individual, I'm going to guess from the name that
this program has something to do with the faxing from PC ability. I
only scan and print from the PC, so I could care less about the fax
feature, and don't want it in the mix if it's going to cause problems.

I'd like to keep this error from manifesting itself.
1) by fixing whatever this bug is. known issue? is there a work around?
maybe I just need to uninstall and re-install the whole package.. It
installed cleanly though, so I don't know why that would help.

or 2) since I am not using the fax functionality, I could just keep
this program from loading itself in the first place somehow?

3) on the mac, my dad can avoid the hp driver package all together by
using GIMP. Is there anyway for me to do something similar from my XP
PC? Avoid the bloated HP driver, and just use a basic printer driver?
(turns out I can also scan using the jetdirect 300x web interface)

suggestions / advice / feedback / are all MUCH appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Ethan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I was using the downloaded g95 driver, but I'm tantalized by the
prospect of just using the jetdirect's web interface for scanning, and
the native XP G95 driver..

How do I setup this local TCP port? It's got a local static IP.. but
when I told the find a printer wizard "\\192.168.1.106" it didn't
come back with anything

On 8 Aug 2005 19:00:53 -0700, hupjack@excite.com <hupjack@excite.com> wrote:
> I have a g85 networked through a jetdirect 300x. On my recently cleanly
> installed XP SP2 machine, I'm watching an "end task" dialog pop up and
> then go away during shutdown.
>
> the offending program is hpofxm07.exe
> Being an intuitive individual, I'm going to guess from the name that
> this program has something to do with the faxing from PC ability. I
> only scan and print from the PC, so I could care less about the fax
> feature, and don't want it in the mix if it's going to cause problems.

I had a similar problem (G85 on 175x), but it was hanging on shutdown for
a FaxWindow(?) to close that I think was related to Microsoft Fax.
Setting the MS Fax service to manual instead of auto did not help, so I
uninstalled MS Fax. That seemed to resolve my shutdown problem.

> I'd like to keep this error from manifesting itself.
> 1) by fixing whatever this bug is. known issue? is there a work around?
> maybe I just need to uninstall and re-install the whole package.. It
> installed cleanly though, so I don't know why that would help.

Are you using drivers from CD or downloaded from HP? Downloaded may be
better if there are any SP2 glitches. If for some reason
you cannot find networking drivers under G85, look for G95 network drivers
(same printer with duplexing).

> or 2) since I am not using the fax functionality, I could just keep
> this program from loading itself in the first place somehow?

I don't use the G85's fax either, but I do network print and scan. So I
have the whole HP Director program. If you only need to print, you do not
need any software. If the JetDirect has a consistant (or static) IP, it
works configured as "local" TCP port with native XP G95 driver (if G85
driver does not work on network).

> 3) on the mac, my dad can avoid the hp driver package all together by
> using GIMP. Is there anyway for me to do something similar from my XP
> PC? Avoid the bloated HP driver, and just use a basic printer driver?
> (turns out I can also scan using the jetdirect 300x web interface)

I use The GIMP in WinXP as well. But to scan from The GIMP, you still
need the HP TWAIN driver.