My Computer/Explorer/etc & WIA

Is there a way to stop the Windows Image Acquisition service from
starting--short of disabling it--when I open explorer, My Computer,
WinRAR, etc?

I'd like to have WIA start when I NEED it only, not every time I look
at a list of drives/folders for reasons utterly unrelated to my
scanner.

When disabled WIA, I get DCOM errors in the Event Viewer opening
anything with an explorer-like interface.

Thanks. :)
8 answers Last reply
More about computer explorer

    What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?

    Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
    are started.

    If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
    start one of those listed above.

    Regards and thanks for the reply.

    Do you have a scanner, including an All in one printer, or a camera
    connected to your PC?

    > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?
    >
    > Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
    > are started.
    >
    > If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
    > start one of those listed above.
    >
    > Regards and thanks for the reply.

    No. I have a USB scanner that I connect when I need; every 2 months
    or so.

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:51:12 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:
    >Do you have a scanner, including an All in one printer, or a camera
    >connected to your PC?

    >"Zonk" <mistybarnyard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?
    >>
    >> Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
    >> are started.
    >>
    >> If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
    >> start one of those listed above.
    >>
    >> Regards and thanks for the reply.

    Thanks for the reply. These types of posts were very popular back in the
    early days of XP, thus line 57.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Good luck!

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Zonk" <mistybarnyard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?
    >
    > Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
    > are started.
    >
    > If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
    > start one of those listed above.
    >
    > Regards and thanks for the reply.

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:30:53 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    Thanks for the reply, but I don't see how "Restore Run Command" is
    relevant to my issue. My run command works fine.

    My issue is with WIA starting when explorer or My Computer is started.

    Thanks

    >Thanks for the reply. These types of posts were very popular back in the
    >early days of XP, thus line 57.
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Good luck!

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:30:53 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    Excuse me, I mean winhlp32. What has that to do with the WIA issue?

    Thank. :)

    >Thanks for the reply. These types of posts were very popular back in the
    >early days of XP, thus line 57.
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Good luck!

    157

    --

    > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:30:53 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > Excuse me, I mean winhlp32. What has that to do with the WIA issue?
    >
    > Thank. :)
    >

    >>Thanks for the reply. These types of posts were very popular back in the
    >>early days of XP, thus line 57.
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Good luck!

Computers Explorer Microsoft Windows XP