My Computer/Explorer/etc & WIA

Is there a way to stop the Windows Image Acquisition service from
starting--short of disabling it--when I open explorer, My Computer,
WinRAR, etc?

I'd like to have WIA start when I NEED it only, not every time I look
at a list of drives/folders for reasons utterly unrelated to my
scanner.

When disabled WIA, I get DCOM errors in the Event Viewer opening
anything with an explorer-like interface.

Thanks. :)

kelly

What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?

Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
are started.

If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
start one of those listed above.

Regards and thanks for the reply.

Do you have a scanner, including an All in one printer, or a camera
connected to your PC?

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?
>
> Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
> are started.
>
> If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
> start one of those listed above.
>
> Regards and thanks for the reply.

No. I have a USB scanner that I connect when I need; every 2 months
or so.

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:51:12 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
<yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:
>Do you have a scanner, including an All in one printer, or a camera
>connected to your PC?

>"Zonk" <mistybarnyard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
>>
>>>What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?
>>
>> Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
>> are started.
>>
>> If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
>> start one of those listed above.
>>
>> Regards and thanks for the reply.

kelly

Thanks for the reply. These types of posts were very popular back in the
early days of XP, thus line 57.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Good luck!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Zonk" <mistybarnyard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:46:58 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>What is the service set to? Manual or Automatic?
>
> Manual. It starts when any of My Computer, Windows Explorer, WinRAR
> are started.
>
> If I disable it, I get DCOM errors in the event viewer whenever I
> start one of those listed above.
>
> Regards and thanks for the reply.

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:30:53 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see how "Restore Run Command" is
relevant to my issue. My run command works fine.

My issue is with WIA starting when explorer or My Computer is started.

Thanks

>Thanks for the reply. These types of posts were very popular back in the
>early days of XP, thus line 57.
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Good luck!

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:30:53 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

Excuse me, I mean winhlp32. What has that to do with the WIA issue?

Thank. :)