ATT'N THOMAS G. MITCHELL : Re my 8300

Damn you are good! Yep, just like you said it was set to PIO mode. I
set it to UDMA (if possible) mode but it stubournly remains set at PIO
mode. Rebooted, no change. Ideas?

Sooner or later, all of our names wind up on a Post-It.

Since there is no quoting, I'm having to guess, but is the drive OFF in the
BIOS? It will work, but in PIO mode, until you set it to AUTO.

Tom

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:34:38 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Since there is no quoting, I'm having to guess, but is the drive OFF in the
>BIOS? It will work, but in PIO mode, until you set it to AUTO.

Drive ON in the BIOS, set to AUTO.

Problem is that the Teac is burning both all media verr-r-rr-y slowly
with several different programs. Device buffer reading fluctuates
wildly. Problem surfaced in the last few days. Nothing hardware wise
or software wise changed in that time period.

8300/P4 3Ghz/1 Gig Ram/XP Pro.

Any and all ideas are welcomed.

>Tom
>"Avatar" <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote in message
>> Damn you are good! Yep, just like you said it was set to PIO mode. I
>> set it to UDMA (if possible) mode but it stubournly remains set at PIO
>> mode. Rebooted, no change. Ideas?

>-
>> Sooner or later, all of our names wind up on a Post-It.
>-

Sooner or later, all of our names wind up on a Post-It.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression.
The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed
again." - Jay Leno

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:34:38 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Since there is no quoting, I'm having to guess, but is the drive OFF in
the
> >BIOS? It will work, but in PIO mode, until you set it to AUTO.
>
> Drive ON in the BIOS, set to AUTO.
>
> Problem is that the Teac is burning both all media verr-r-rr-y slowly
> with several different programs. Device buffer reading fluctuates
> wildly. Problem surfaced in the last few days. Nothing hardware wise
> or software wise changed in that time period.
>
> 8300/P4 3Ghz/1 Gig Ram/XP Pro.
>
> Any and all ideas are welcomed.

Hi Avatar,

you mentioned that you had fitted a new drive a few weeks back. Is this
drive a replacement for the original or an additional drive? If its an
additional drive then have you installed it on a seperate IDE channel? If so
does this mean you have your burner as a slave drive? Ideally your burner
should be the master on its own IDE channel.

Rob

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:41:03 +0100, "Rob" <unununium32@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Avatar,

you mentioned that you had fitted a new drive a few weeks back. Is
this
drive a replacement for the original or an additional drive? If its an
additional drive then have you installed it on a seperate IDE channel?
If so
does this mean you have your burner as a slave drive? Ideally your
burner
should be the master on its own IDE channel.

Rob

My system is configured with a 120 Gig SATA HD on its own channel.
A DVD-ROM as a master on the secondary IDE channel with the DVD+R as a
slave on the same channel. This was the way it came configured from
Dell. Well, Dell configures these things as cable select, but anyway..

The drive I added was a WD 160 HD on the primary IDE channel, cable
select, configured by the system as a master. No other drives on that
channel.

Thanks for any and all help.

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:41:03 +0100, "Rob" <unununium32@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Avatar,
>
> you mentioned that you had fitted a new drive a few weeks back. Is
> this
> drive a replacement for the original or an additional drive? If its an
> additional drive then have you installed it on a seperate IDE channel?
> If so
> does this mean you have your burner as a slave drive? Ideally your
> burner
> should be the master on its own IDE channel.
>
> Rob
>
> My system is configured with a 120 Gig SATA HD on its own channel.
> A DVD-ROM as a master on the secondary IDE channel with the DVD+R as a
> slave on the same channel. This was the way it came configured from
> Dell. Well, Dell configures these things as cable select, but anyway..
>
> The drive I added was a WD 160 HD on the primary IDE channel, cable
> select, configured by the system as a master. No other drives on that
> channel.
>
> Thanks for any and all help.

Hi Avatar,

Really the burner should be master on the secondary channel so might be an
idea to swap the DVD rom over and put that as slave (although this really
should be on the primary as a slave). This will help speed things up if you
are reading from the DVD Rom whilst burning at the same time.

Rob

"Rob" <unununium32@hotmail.com> wrote:

Nothing that can be quoted, since it was all below the sig
separator. You might want to reconsider your posting
configuration, Rob. ;->
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

on 07-04-2004 21:45 Avatar said the following:

> Problem is that the Teac is burning both all media verr-r-rr-y slowly
> with several different programs. Device buffer reading fluctuates
> wildly. Problem surfaced in the last few days. Nothing hardware wise
> or software wise changed in that time period.
>
> 8300/P4 3Ghz/1 Gig Ram/XP Pro.
>
> Any and all ideas are welcomed.

Did you already uninstall the secundary channel under IDE-ATA/ATAPI
controller in device manager for your system.
Normaly after rebooting, WindowsXP redetect this controller, and set it
to the right settings (Ultra DMA mode 2).

Patrick

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:01:42 +0200, Patrick Cras
<patrick.cras*delete_this*@easynet.be> wrote:

>on 07-04-2004 21:45 Avatar said the following:
>
>> Problem is that the Teac is burning both all media verr-r-rr-y slowly
>> with several different programs. Device buffer reading fluctuates
>> wildly. Problem surfaced in the last few days. Nothing hardware wise
>> or software wise changed in that time period.
>>
>> 8300/P4 3Ghz/1 Gig Ram/XP Pro.
>>
>> Any and all ideas are welcomed.
>
>Did you already uninstall the secundary channel under IDE-ATA/ATAPI
>controller in device manager for your system.
>Normaly after rebooting, WindowsXP redetect this controller, and set it
>to the right settings (Ultra DMA mode 2).
>
>Patrick

Pretty sure I did, but will try it again when I get home.

Sooner or later, all of our names wind up on a Post-It.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:01:42 +0200, Patrick Cras
<patrick.cras*delete_this*@easynet.be> wrote:

>on 07-04-2004 21:45 Avatar said the following:
>
>> Problem is that the Teac is burning both all media verr-r-rr-y slowly
>> with several different programs. Device buffer reading fluctuates
>> wildly. Problem surfaced in the last few days. Nothing hardware wise
>> or software wise changed in that time period.
>>
>> 8300/P4 3Ghz/1 Gig Ram/XP Pro.
>>
>> Any and all ideas are welcomed.
>
>Did you already uninstall the secundary channel under IDE-ATA/ATAPI
>controller in device manager for your system.
>Normaly after rebooting, WindowsXP redetect this controller, and set it
>to the right settings (Ultra DMA mode 2).
>
>Patrick

Following up to this: I must not have had all my settings just right,
as you and Thomas G. Marshall (not Mitchell, sheesh) had suggested.
Uninstalled, rebooted, it is working now. Thanks for the help, one and
all.

"Avatar" <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote in message
> Damn you are good! Yep, just like you said it was set to PIO mode. I
> set it to UDMA (if possible) mode but it stubournly remains set at PIO
> mode. Rebooted, no change. Ideas?

Thanks, LOL. But it's Thomas G. MARSHALL. Jeez.

Why didn't you reply to the original thread?

All I could suggest is what I did already: Make sure that the bios knows
that the drive exists, otherwise it'll be PIO.

Forget the DVD for a sec: Are you /sure/ that you made it so that the BIOS
knows of BOTH your HD's? Just missing one is enough for XP to decide to
downgrade the UDMA mode of the others!

Remember: I added an HD to the Primary/Slave, but forgot to tell the BIOS.
So I ended up with this:

P/M: UDMA 2
P/S: PIO

and when I told the BIOS about the P/S drive I ended up with this:

P/M: UDMA 5
P/S: UDMA 5

When the BIOS didn't know of the 2nd drive, the system had downgraded the
original primary/MASTER drive from 5 to 2.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:50:07 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Avatar" <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote in message
>> Damn you are good! Yep, just like you said it was set to PIO mode. I
>> set it to UDMA (if possible) mode but it stubournly remains set at PIO
>> mode. Rebooted, no change. Ideas?
>

>Thanks, LOL. But it's Thomas G. MARSHALL. Jeez.

Mea culpa, mea culpa. My brainfarts would kill most people.

>Why didn't you reply to the original thread?

See above. *s*

>All I could suggest is what I did already: Make sure that the bios knows
>that the drive exists, otherwise it'll be PIO.
>
>Forget the DVD for a sec: Are you /sure/ that you made it so that the BIOS
>knows of BOTH your HD's? Just missing one is enough for XP to decide to
>downgrade the UDMA mode of the others!
>
>Remember: I added an HD to the Primary/Slave, but forgot to tell the BIOS.
>So I ended up with this:
>
> P/M: UDMA 2
> P/S: PIO
>
>and when I told the BIOS about the P/S drive I ended up with this:
>
> P/M: UDMA 5
> P/S: UDMA 5
>
>When the BIOS didn't know of the 2nd drive, the system had downgraded the
>original primary/MASTER drive from 5 to 2.

A combination of your suggestion and the other put me on the right
track. It is burning just fine now, rocking along. Thanks so much for
the help. You learn something new every day. Hope that I can use this
to help someone else along the way.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Rob" <unununium32@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nothing that can be quoted, since it was all below the sig
> separator. You might want to reconsider your posting
> configuration, Rob. ;->
> --
> OJ III
> [Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast]

LOL yeah I had noticed. Damned infernal OE software :eek:) This should be
better.

--
"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression.
The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed
again." - Jay Leno

TRENDING THREADS