Looking for an Ultra Small form factor Dell - used

I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any Windows
OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.

It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.

Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?

Tom

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:24:33 GMT, Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any Windows
> OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.

> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.

> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?

Try Dell Financial Services Diect Sales. A little more expensive than
eBay, but good warranty. I've bought many machines from them, all in
good shape:

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dfsdirect/

DFS also has an eBay store that can be cheaper, with the same
warranty.

--
Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)

how about a mac mini?

> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
> Windows OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>
> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>
> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>
> Tom

Tom,

If you will settle for a nicely constructed and solid Compaq DeskPro SFF with
Windows 2000 sticker, get in touch and tell me how much memory is required. I
would assume 256MB as a minimum with Win 2000.

Dimensions are 12" wide x 14" deep x 4" high. They are no more proprietary than
other SFF boxes. The motherboard and power supply are proprietary. Everything
else is standard including PCI slots, hard drive, floppy (w/o bezel, of course),
and CD-ROM (or CD-RW or DVD device). I've sold a number of these to
space-challenged people, and never had a complaint about either hardware or OS.
Refurbed with Win 2000 loaded and up to date and 90-day warranty... Ben Myers
ben_myers@charter.net

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:24:33 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any Windows
>OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>
>It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>
>Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>
>Tom

1) too expensive
2) Won't run any of the software I use for my home theater. Not compatible,
don't you know.

Tom
> how about a mac mini?

>> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>> Windows OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>>
>> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>>
>> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>>
>> Tom

Unfortunately, they're still too big. It needs to get mounted on my wall
and the space is very small.

Tom
> Tom,
>
> If you will settle for a nicely constructed and solid Compaq DeskPro SFF
> with
> Windows 2000 sticker, get in touch and tell me how much memory is
> required. I
> would assume 256MB as a minimum with Win 2000.
>
> Dimensions are 12" wide x 14" deep x 4" high. They are no more
> proprietary than
> other SFF boxes. The motherboard and power supply are proprietary.
> Everything
> else is standard including PCI slots, hard drive, floppy (w/o bezel, of
> course),
> and CD-ROM (or CD-RW or DVD device). I've sold a number of these to
> space-challenged people, and never had a complaint about either hardware
> or OS.
> Refurbed with Win 2000 loaded and up to date and 90-day warranty... Ben
> Myers
> ben_myers@charter.net
>
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:24:33 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>>machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>>Windows
>>OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>>
>>It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>>
>>Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>>
>>Tom

Well, I tried. Nothing smaller here... Ben

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:29:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Unfortunately, they're still too big. It needs to get mounted on my wall
>and the space is very small.
>
>Tom
>> Tom,
>>
>> If you will settle for a nicely constructed and solid Compaq DeskPro SFF
>> with
>> Windows 2000 sticker, get in touch and tell me how much memory is
>> required. I
>> would assume 256MB as a minimum with Win 2000.
>>
>> Dimensions are 12" wide x 14" deep x 4" high. They are no more
>> proprietary than
>> other SFF boxes. The motherboard and power supply are proprietary.
>> Everything
>> else is standard including PCI slots, hard drive, floppy (w/o bezel, of
>> course),
>> and CD-ROM (or CD-RW or DVD device). I've sold a number of these to
>> space-challenged people, and never had a complaint about either hardware
>> or OS.
>> Refurbed with Win 2000 loaded and up to date and 90-day warranty... Ben
>> Myers
>> ben_myers@charter.net
>>
>> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:24:33 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>>>machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>>>Windows
>>>OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>>>
>>>It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>>>
>>>Tom

> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any Windows
> OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>
> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>
> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>
> Tom

Try http://www.surpluscomputers.com

I've never shop there so check resellerratings.com, but I've seen refurbished
small form factor desktops advertised for cheap through their mailing list.

g'day
youth

I regularly get lists of stuff for sale from other dealers and purveyors of
surplus. FWIW, one of the messages I got today advertised the GX150 SFF for
$125. More than I'd want to pay, probably more than you would, too.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:24:33 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any Windows
>OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>
>It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>
>Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>
>Tom

THanks for the help :)
> Well, I tried. Nothing smaller here... Ben
>
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:29:32 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately, they're still too big. It needs to get mounted on my wall
>>and the space is very small.
>>
>>Tom
>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> If you will settle for a nicely constructed and solid Compaq DeskPro SFF
>>> with
>>> Windows 2000 sticker, get in touch and tell me how much memory is
>>> required. I
>>> would assume 256MB as a minimum with Win 2000.
>>>
>>> Dimensions are 12" wide x 14" deep x 4" high. They are no more
>>> proprietary than
>>> other SFF boxes. The motherboard and power supply are proprietary.
>>> Everything
>>> else is standard including PCI slots, hard drive, floppy (w/o bezel, of
>>> course),
>>> and CD-ROM (or CD-RW or DVD device). I've sold a number of these to
>>> space-challenged people, and never had a complaint about either hardware
>>> or OS.
>>> Refurbed with Win 2000 loaded and up to date and 90-day warranty... Ben
>>> Myers
>>> ben_myers@charter.net

Yes, cheap is good. For now, I'm going to try using a Compaq T1000 tablet PC
I have laying around. If it works, it will be perfect, but they're real
dogs.

Tom

"Dale Dellutri" <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:24:33 GMT, Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>> Windows
>> OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>
>> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>
>> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>
> Try Dell Financial Services Diect Sales. A little more expensive than
> eBay, but good warranty. I've bought many machines from them, all in
> good shape:
>
> http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dfsdirect/
>
> DFS also has an eBay store that can be cheaper, with the same
> warranty.
>
> --
> Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)

http://stores.ebay.com/Dell-Financial-Services_Desktops_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Stew

> Unfortunately, they're still too big. It needs to get mounted on my wall
> and the space is very small.
>
> Tom

You're either looking for an old SFF Optiplex GX100 or 110 (few bucks), or a
newer Dimension 4600C:

http://tinyurl.com/8otc9

Or ....an even newer (and smallest) Optiplex SX280, which can be hung under
cabinet or on the wall, as the power supply is external.

Stew

"youth" <youthN0SPAM@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

>> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>> Windows
>> OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>>
>> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>>
>> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Try http://www.surpluscomputers.com
>
> I've never shop there so check resellerratings.com, but I've seen
> refurbished
> small form factor desktops advertised for cheap through their mailing
> list.
>
> g'day
> youth

I looked all over the site. Plenty of SFF, but I need a USFF. Maybe they
just don't have any now.

Tom

I guess I can't interest you in an 8' high 19" cabinet for all the gear either.
:)

.... Ben

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Dale Dellutri" <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:24:33 GMT, Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor
>>> optiplex
>>> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>>> Windows
>>> OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>>
>>> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>>
>>> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>>
>> Try Dell Financial Services Diect Sales. A little more expensive than
>> eBay, but good warranty. I've bought many machines from them, all in
>> good shape:
>>
>> http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dfsdirect/
>>
>> DFS also has an eBay store that can be cheaper, with the same
>> warranty.
>>
>> --
>> Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)
>

> http://stores.ebay.com/Dell-Financial-Services_Desktops_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm
>

> Stew

Still no USFF

>> Unfortunately, they're still too big. It needs to get mounted on my wall
>> and the space is very small.
>>
>> Tom
>

> You're either looking for an old SFF Optiplex GX100 or 110 (few bucks), or
> a newer Dimension 4600C:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8otc9
>
> Or ....an even newer (and smallest) Optiplex SX280, which can be hung
> under cabinet or on the wall, as the power supply is external.
>

> Stew

Those are SFF. I need USFF.

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Unfortunately, they're still too big. It needs to get mounted on my
>>> wall and the space is very small.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>

>> You're either looking for an old SFF Optiplex GX100 or 110 (few bucks),
>> or a newer Dimension 4600C:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/8otc9
>>
>> Or ....an even newer (and smallest) Optiplex SX280, which can be hung
>> under cabinet or on the wall, as the power supply is external.
>>

>> Stew
>>

> Those are SFF. I need USFF.

I've not seen any Dell system physically smaller than the SX 280. How about
posting back when you find something that works. I'd be interested to hear
what it is and where you found it. ?

Stew

>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>> You're either looking for an old SFF Optiplex GX100 or 110 (few bucks),
>>> or a newer Dimension 4600C:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/8otc9
>>>
>>> Or ....an even newer (and smallest) Optiplex SX280, which can be hung
>>> under cabinet or on the wall, as the power supply is external.
>>>

>>> Stew
>>>

>> Those are SFF. I need USFF.
>>

> I've not seen any Dell system physically smaller than the SX 280. How
> about posting back when you find something that works. I'd be interested
> to hear what it is and where you found it. ?
>

> Stew

The USFF GX280 is tiny. I've not seen the USFF SX280, but it seems fairly
small. I only know the GX280 because the hospital where my wife is has
them.

I've actually made progress with the COmpaq Tablet and it might work out OK.
It's not useful for much else as the Transmeta CPU is laughable.

Tom

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
> Windows OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>
> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>
> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>
> Tom

Tom are you on about the Optiplex SX260 or 270 or 280?

if so beware there is a problem with blown capacitors on these machines and
the systemboards are continually having to be swapped out

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor optiplex
>> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>> Windows OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>>
>> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>>
>> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>>
>> Tom
>>
> Tom are you on about the Optiplex SX260 or 270 or 280?
>
> if so beware there is a problem with blown capacitors on these machines
> and the systemboards are continually having to be swapped out

They're likely too new (read: too expensive) for my purposes anyway.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Tom not nessesarily the Optiplex SX 270 theres a few on ebay
DELL Optiplex SX270 / SX-270 / SX 270 PC im Book Format Item number:
5225874972 this ones about $100

> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm looking for one of the really little ultra small form factor
>>> optiplex
>>> machines. Anything over about a P3-800 would be OK. Virtiually any
>>> Windows OS is OK. Cheap is the goal.
>>>
>>> It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>> Tom are you on about the Optiplex SX260 or 270 or 280?
>>
>> if so beware there is a problem with blown capacitors on these machines
>> and the systemboards are continually having to be swapped out
>>

> They're likely too new (read: too expensive) for my purposes anyway.

begin 666 s.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```("
$5 $`.P``
`
end

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

>>> Those are SFF. I need USFF.
>>>

>> I've not seen any Dell system physically smaller than the SX 280. How
>> about posting back when you find something that works. I'd be interested
>> to hear what it is and where you found it. ?
>>

>> Stew
>>

> The USFF GX280 is tiny. I've not seen the USFF SX280, but it seems fairly
> small. I only know the GX280 because the hospital where my wife is has
> them.
>
> I've actually made progress with the COmpaq Tablet and it might work out
> OK. It's not useful for much else as the Transmeta CPU is laughable.
>
> Tom

The SX280 accomodates CPU's of 3GHz and over, Tom. It's small. I mean,
*really* small. Check the dimensions/specs.... (also is vented very very
well).

Stew

Ah shoot. Do they all have Integrated Intel video? That's inadequate for my
application. Doesn't properly support overlay. Won't work for video
properly.

Tom
> Tom not nessesarily the Optiplex SX 270 theres a few on ebay
> DELL Optiplex SX270 / SX-270 / SX 270 PC im Book Format Item number:
> 5225874972 this ones about $100
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>> Tom are you on about the Optiplex SX260 or 270 or 280?
>>>
>>> if so beware there is a problem with blown capacitors on these machines
>>> and the systemboards are continually having to be swapped out
>>>

>> They're likely too new (read: too expensive) for my purposes anyway.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

yes i think so but you can have digital output not just analogue if that
makes any difference
> Ah shoot. Do they all have Integrated Intel video? That's inadequate for
> my application. Doesn't properly support overlay. Won't work for video
> properly.
>
> Tom
> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Tom not nessesarily the Optiplex SX 270 theres a few on ebay
>> DELL Optiplex SX270 / SX-270 / SX 270 PC im Book Format Item number:
>> 5225874972 this ones about $100
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>> They're likely too new (read: too expensive) for my purposes anyway.

TRENDING THREADS