Windows Genuine Advantage

I have a valid PID key and when I go to windows updates I get an invalid
product key message. But , If i leave it on auto updates , it downloads all
the updates for me.??????????????????????????

"Wade" <Wade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a valid PID key and when I go to windows updates I get an invalid
> product key message. But , If i leave it on auto updates , it downloads
> all
> the updates for me.??????????????????????????

if you have an issue with WGA then see
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx

Q:
What should I do if I have a problem with the Windows validation
process?

A:
If you cannot resolve your problem using this FAQ, please use the
Contact Us link at the bottom of Microsoft Download Center pages to request
additional assistance. For English users, you may also access the WGA
newsgroup
(http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=WGA&sLCID=us)
for additional discussion and user-to-user support.

Q:
What if my copy of Windows fails the validation process or I believe I
have received pirated software?

A:
In either case, Microsoft recommends the following steps: First, turn
on Automatic Updates to make sure your system is being protected while you
are resolving the problem. Second, visit Microsoft how to tell website to
learn how to recognize genuine Windows software. Third, see your reseller
and ask for genuine Windows software, using the report provided during the
validation session for support. The report explains why your system was
unable to validate, and provides instructions for further follow-up.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Wade" <Wade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a valid PID key and when I go to windows updates I get an invalid
> product key message. But , If i leave it on auto updates , it downloads
> all
> the updates for me.??????????????????????????

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:24:02 +0100, Wade wrote
(in article <5D457F37-5489-4982-BBB2-66973C2DF22A@microsoft.com>):

> I have a valid PID key and when I go to windows updates I get an invalid
> product key message. But , If i leave it on auto updates , it downloads all
> the updates for me.??????????????????????????

1) Do you mean Product ID, or installation key - they're *not* the same
(though you can't have one without the other.

2) Suggest you post this in the microsoft.public.windowspdate group.

I had the same problem with Windows Genuine Advantage program. I have a valid
copy of Windows Media Center 2005 with serial number. After installing a new
motherboard, re-installing the software the product activated but when I went
to Windows Update it installed the Genuine Advantage software and failed the
validation test. I was required to telephone activate which generated a new
product key. Apparently Windows Genuine Advantage saw this as an invalid key.
The new validation program will allow to automatically update but only the
critical updates.

Solution/workaround: Open explorer go to tools/internet
options/programs/manage add-ons and disable microsoft genuine advantage
active x controle, close the window and click on the Windows Update icon and
you will be able to custom install the updates locked out by the validation
software.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> "Wade" <Wade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a valid PID key and when I go to windows updates I get an invalid
> > product key message. But , If i leave it on auto updates , it downloads
> > all
> > the updates for me.??????????????????????????
>
> if you have an issue with WGA then see
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx
>
> Q:
> What should I do if I have a problem with the Windows validation
> process?
>

> A:
> If you cannot resolve your problem using this FAQ, please use the
> Contact Us link at the bottom of Microsoft Download Center pages to request
> additional assistance. For English users, you may also access the WGA
> newsgroup
> (http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=WGA&sLCID=us)
> for additional discussion and user-to-user support.
>

> Q:
> What if my copy of Windows fails the validation process or I believe I
> have received pirated software?
>

> A:
> In either case, Microsoft recommends the following steps: First, turn
> on Automatic Updates to make sure your system is being protected while you
> are resolving the problem. Second, visit Microsoft how to tell website to
> learn how to recognize genuine Windows software. Third, see your reseller
> and ask for genuine Windows software, using the report provided during the
> validation session for support. The report explains why your system was
> unable to validate, and provides instructions for further follow-up.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Wade" <Wade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a valid PID key and when I go to windows updates I get an invalid
> > product key message. But , If i leave it on auto updates , it downloads
> > all
> > the updates for me.??????????????????????????

Is this a PC that came from those large computer makers such as Dell, IBM,
HP or Gateway? If so, these type of systems use a "special" CD Key for a
large run of XP installs and it has been "known" the this type of CD key
fails the WGA check.