random freezes in windows

Hi, I've been having some problems with windows (xp pro) lately. It freezes
from time to time when I'm using some program, usually a small one (though,
it never happens twice with the same proggie, like I said, completely
random), 'cause I've never had this problem with, say, photoshop, photopaint,
or any games i play for that matter. I've scanned my computer for spyware and
viruses - nothing's come up. All my hardware is working at default speeds,
nothing's overclocked. I've upgraded my psu few days ago (bought a chieftec
360-202df) so I know its not psu related, or at least i hope it isn't... I've
checked temperatures, they look like this: mainboard chip ~32C, processor
~40C, gpu core ~50C. Maybe reinstalling Windows will help, but I want to wait
with that until I get a new hdd :\ So, I've no idea what might be causing the
problem, but i hope one of you gurus will be able to help me TIA

I forgot to describe what the freezes look like... When a freeze occurs
Windows stops responding to keyboard/mouse clicks but I can still move the
cursor around the screen. After a few seconds the cursor freezes also. Half a
minute later Windows starts responding again (sometimes screen goes black for
like a second when this happens) and everything's alright:\ Usually there's a
graphic artefact instead of an icon left on the screen.

I cant help, but im having EXACTLY the same problems after updating to the
latetst windows updates, ny computer stops responding, then after say 30
seconds my mouse stops, theres a single bleep and thats it... puter is
absolutely frozen. I have not had this problem till after i installed the
latest installer from the update site. it can be days between freeze ups, so
no idea what causes it.

Andy