Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading windows 7 home premium to professional

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
December 8, 2009 8:41:00 PM

So I recently bought a new laptop with windows 7 home premium and I wanna upgrade it to professional. I just wanna know, will all the programs I had be uninstalled and the computer would be a fresh kind of formatted or will everything stay as it and only the features for professional be added?

Also I would like to know, would this upgrade void my warranty? (laptop is Alienware M15x)
December 8, 2009 8:59:55 PM

If you are upgrading the the 32bit version to the 32 bit version or 64 bit version to 64 bit version the answer it no you do not have to re-install the operating system. Do it as a anytime upgrade, you can do it from within your operating system by search for anytime upgrade.
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2009 9:23:10 PM

Why do you want to upgrade? The difference between the two is almost nil.
Related resources
December 9, 2009 2:15:52 AM

Maybe they need XP mode or domain membership or network backup functionality. I wouldn't call those differences nill if you need/want them. If one needs/wants bitlocker and/or multiple languages across user profiles, then they'd go with Ultimate.

The reason I mention this is because I'm getting ready to purchase a laptop with Home Premium and am deciding whether to go with the anytime pro or ultimate upgrade. I could use the features in Pro and would like Bitlocker that comes with Ultimate. Maybe I'll save myself some $ by going with Pro and use TrueCrypt for volume encryption.
December 9, 2009 1:39:09 PM

Yup, im gonna need xp mode. So from what I understood, the answer is that nothing would get deleted and only new features would be implemented.

Thanks guys
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2009 2:16:57 PM

If you are upgrading just for XP Mode, then don’t waste your time, money and don’t give yourself unnecessary headache.

Just use VMlite it works on any windows 7 version/Vista and on XP itself too. VMlite has just been recently released, is based on Sun VirtualBox.

Download it here http://www.vmlite.com/index.php/download

Once it’s installed use the wizard, it will download the xp image for you and set it. It beats MS xpmode, hands down.

December 9, 2009 2:18:23 PM

oh, thats really good, thanks bro.
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2009 2:24:23 PM

No problem, just put few $ in my account :D  . (I think they are updating their servers, maybe download it abit later on)
January 11, 2013 5:43:10 PM

frozenlead said:

if you need more than 16GB of ram , YOU HAVE TO GO PRO OR ULTIMATE
March 12, 2014 2:10:43 PM

I guess I'm going to feed a troll...

frozenlead said:

Because Microsoft committed fraud. The EULA for Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium says that I can run it on 2 physical processors in one machine, but in practice it only recognizes one Intel Xeon processor in my Dell Precision T7400. Therefore, I need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional to get the functionality I was previously promised by Microsoft in a written contract.
!