Notebook Battery Covered by Warranty?

I have a Dell Latitude D505 notebook with Gold Technical Support
provided by Dell and an Extended Warranty provided by UNY. The
notebook's battery does not charge at all. Does anyone know if Dell
will replace the battery given the coverage that I have?

You'll need to read the wording, but I believe it is unlikely. Batteries
are normally excluded as consumables.

Tom
<dgrnyc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Latitude D505 notebook with Gold Technical Support
> provided by Dell and an Extended Warranty provided by UNY. The
> notebook's battery does not charge at all. Does anyone know if Dell
> will replace the battery given the coverage that I have?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 26 Jul 2005 12:23:06 -0700, "dgrnyc@yahoo.com" <dgrnyc@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a Dell Latitude D505 notebook with Gold Technical Support
>provided by Dell and an Extended Warranty provided by UNY. The
>notebook's battery does not charge at all. Does anyone know if Dell
>will replace the battery given the coverage that I have?

If the battery charger on the motherboard is defective then it will
most definetly be covered. If you've had the computer for several
years and the battery might be dying, then it's likely the battery
will not be covered under warranty.

Dan

The battery is covered for 12 months (unless you had a 90 day warranty
in which case, it's 90 days).

dgrnyc@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude D505 notebook with Gold Technical Support
> provided by Dell and an Extended Warranty provided by UNY. The
> notebook's battery does not charge at all. Does anyone know if Dell
> will replace the battery given the coverage that I have?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Usually even if you have a 3 year warranty the batteries are only 1 year
> You'll need to read the wording, but I believe it is unlikely. Batteries
> are normally excluded as consumables.
>
> Tom
> <dgrnyc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell Latitude D505 notebook with Gold Technical Support
>> provided by Dell and an Extended Warranty provided by UNY. The
>> notebook's battery does not charge at all. Does anyone know if Dell
>> will replace the battery given the coverage that I have?

Thanks for the replies. I just bought the notebook on ebay and am
waiting for Dell to transfer the ownership and remaining warranty to my
name. The computer shipped on 4/6/04 and has warranty coverage until
4/6/07. I don't know if the problem is the battery or the charger on
the motherboard. The diagnostics partition is on the hard drive and I
updated the Dianostics on that partition to the latest version. I'm
going to run some of those test to see if I can pinpoin the problem.
Daniel

I ran the Diagnostics program Symptom Tree option and chose "System
will Not Run Off the Battery". There are 3 tests: 1) battery charger
test 2) battery communication test and 3) AC Adaptor Info Test. When
test 1 starts I receive a prompt to "please disconnect the charger
now". If I do disconnect the AC power the computer is turned off. The
battery is in the left batter bay but when I check the power status by
pushing the button on the battery, none of the 5 little green lights
comes on. If I run the tests and do not disconnect the charger when
prompted, the 3 test will run and finish. Test 1 gives me the following
error:
Error Code 3600:0123.
Msg: Battery test failed - reporting attached charger.

Tests 2 and 3 pass without any errors. Does that error message help me
determine if the problem is in the battery or in the charging
mechanism?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

the easiest way to check if its the charger or the battery is to try a known
good battery from another machine and then to cross try your battery in a
known good machine if at all possible

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> the easiest way to check if its the charger or the battery is to try a
> known good battery from another machine and then to cross try your battery
> in a known good machine if at all possible

<snip>

Short of that, if a extra D-series battery can't be found, I'd go ahead and
attempt a call to Dell (have the system service tag and express service code
written down before calling). Explain the purchase and the situation. They
may very well go ahead and support the system since the tag transfer is in
progress.

Stew

I contacted Dell and the ownership had been transferred to my name.
They said the battery had a 1 year warranty but more than 1 year had
passed. I do have a system warranty until April 2007. I'm still not
sure if the problem is the battery or the charging mechanism. I think
my wife's company may have some Dells. I'm going to check if they have
one that I can cross check the battery with.

I was trying to update the BIOS from version A02 to A09 in Windows but
the BIOS updater requires that both the battery and the A/C power cord
be active in order to update the BIOS. So with my battery having no
charge, I couldn't update the BIOS in Windows. Then I remembered that
the BIOS updater also works in DOS. So, I booted from a CD to DOS and
was able to update the BIOS from A02 to A09. After updating the BIOS, I
noticed that the battery LED was lit on the notebook. I pushed the
indicator on the battery itself and to my surprise and delight, 3 green
dots were lit. I let the battery fully charge and then attempted to use
the notebook from battery powers without the A/C power cord connected.
The battery was functioning perfectly and powered the notebook for over
2 hours. Since updating the BIOS, the battery has been functioning
perfectly. As updating the BIOS was the only thing I changed, I can
only conclude that there was something different between version A02
and A09 which allowed the battery to function properly.

Does anybody know about any differences between version A02 and A09
that might account for my experience?

I've always been an advocate of using the latest BIOS version and this
experience reinforces that belief. I used to work on an 800 line in
customer service, so I know the safe route is always to tell the
customer "what they don't want to hear". So Dell's support jumping to
the conclusion that the battery was dead was not suprising. However,
since I had not been able to cross check the battery in another
computer, I was not ready to declare the battery dead. After updating
the BIOS I ran Dell Diagnostics Express Test, Extended Test and the
Symptom Tree's "System will not run off the battery" test. All tests
passed.

Anyway, I'm just glad the battery is working now. Daniel