9300 BSOD After Hybernation

Hey folks...

Have nice new Inspirion 9300. I am very pleased with it to this point, but I
have noticed one aggravating problem. If I place it in sleep mode by closing
the lid it always comes back up with a BSOD. I haven't had to deal with this
problem sine NT. Error reporting calls it a driver conflict. Any clues?

Jerry S.

Jerry Slaughter wrote:
> Hey folks...
>
> Have nice new Inspirion 9300. I am very pleased with it to this
> point, but I have noticed one aggravating problem. If I place it in
> sleep mode by closing the lid it always comes back up with a BSOD. I
> haven't had to deal with this problem sine NT. Error reporting calls
> it a driver conflict. Any clues?

Probably be a conflict in drivers, then ;p

Have you installed anything recently that might need a driver? eg anything
USB or PCMCIA?

David Hookham wrote:
> Jerry Slaughter wrote:
>> Hey folks...
>>
>> Have nice new Inspirion 9300. I am very pleased with it to this
>> point, but I have noticed one aggravating problem. If I place it in
>> sleep mode by closing the lid it always comes back up with a BSOD. I
>> haven't had to deal with this problem sine NT. Error reporting calls
>> it a driver conflict. Any clues?
>
> Probably be a conflict in drivers, then ;p
>
> Have you installed anything recently that might need a driver? eg
> anything USB or PCMCIA?

What exactly is the error message? You might google uphclean.exe, a
Microsoft fix for a continually-corrupted user profile registry hive
that causes a number of obscure crashes on resume from standby and/or
hibernation.

I have two identical Sony Vaio laptops that one, out of the box and on
clean OS reinstalls, had sleep state crashes that uphclean.exe has taken
care of. The other has never had the problem.

OTOH, if there is a hardware driver problem, examination of the event
logs with Event Viewer should reveal some clues as to the source.

>> Have you installed anything recently that might need a driver? eg
>> anything USB or PCMCIA?
>
> What exactly is the error message? You might google uphclean.exe, a
> Microsoft fix for a continually-corrupted user profile registry hive that
> causes a number of obscure crashes on resume from standby and/or
> hibernation.
>
> I have two identical Sony Vaio laptops that one, out of the box and on
> clean OS reinstalls, had sleep state crashes that uphclean.exe has taken
> care of. The other has never had the problem.
>
> OTOH, if there is a hardware driver problem, examination of the event logs
> with Event Viewer should reveal some clues as to the source.

Haven't checked the logs...got tunneled and didn't think of that. This was
happening fresh out of the box. Only things I have installed are the office
apps. No new drivers. I did enable the Bluetooth to synch with my PDA. I'll
check the logs and see what I find there. I remember at one time reading
about a problem XP had when coming out of hybernation, just don't remember
when or where. I thought it was addressed in one of the updates.

Thanks for the feedback!

David Hookham wrote:

> Jerry Slaughter wrote:
>
>>Hey folks...
>>
>>Have nice new Inspirion 9300. I am very pleased with it to this
>>point, but I have noticed one aggravating problem. If I place it in
>>sleep mode by closing the lid it always comes back up with a BSOD. I
>>haven't had to deal with this problem sine NT. Error reporting calls
>>it a driver conflict. Any clues?
>

> Probably be a conflict in drivers, then ;p
>
> Have you installed anything recently that might need a driver? eg anything
> USB or PCMCIA?

Have you examined your application & system event files?

"Jerry Slaughter" <jerryslaughter@knology.net> wrote in message

>>> Have you installed anything recently that might need a driver? eg
>>> anything USB or PCMCIA?
>>
>> What exactly is the error message? You might google uphclean.exe, a
>> Microsoft fix for a continually-corrupted user profile registry hive that
>> causes a number of obscure crashes on resume from standby and/or
>> hibernation.
>>
>> I have two identical Sony Vaio laptops that one, out of the box and on
>> clean OS reinstalls, had sleep state crashes that uphclean.exe has taken
>> care of. The other has never had the problem.
>>
>> OTOH, if there is a hardware driver problem, examination of the event
>> logs with Event Viewer should reveal some clues as to the source.
>>

> Haven't checked the logs...got tunneled and didn't think of that. This was
> happening fresh out of the box. Only things I have installed are the
> office apps. No new drivers. I did enable the Bluetooth to synch with my
> PDA. I'll check the logs and see what I find there. I remember at one time
> reading about a problem XP had when coming out of hybernation, just don't
> remember when or where. I thought it was addressed in one of the updates.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

Just as an aside, I have an I9300. I don't put it in to Standby, but do
Hibernate constantly. Rock solid reliable. Never had one blue screen.

Tom