welshwizzard

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Can somebody tell me what is the acceptable operating temperature for a Pentium 4 2.4ghz 533mhz system bus?
My processor is currently stable at 41centigrade. Is this a bit too warm for the little fella? It is a retail version and has not been over clocked. I have a full tower A-Open case with 2 compartments. The lower compartment contains the Gigabyte 667 ultra titan mainboard, MSI Geforce4 Ti 128mb graphics card with cooling fan, creatiive 5.1 sound card, 1 x 80mm fan blowing air onto the main board, 1 flat floppy cable and 3 flat IDE cables all competing with each other for space. In the top compartment I have a CDRW drive, A DVD drive, a front mounting hard drive cooling bay containing an IBM 40gb hard drive, 2 x 80 mm case fans exhausing any warm air. The power supply unit is a 550w switchable unit with 2 fans, one of which is located very near the CPU but is not blowing air on to it, it is drawing air in to the unit at this point and exausting out at the back of the case.
Any info regarding the operating temps of the p4 would be appreciated as will any suggestions regarding cooling.
I intend to change the flat IDE cable for round ones and will shortly be installing a blower fan to one of the PCI blanking plates. After this if I put any more fans into the case I'll have to apply for a pilots licence.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Thats an acceptable temperature....you have to realize all newer computer like P4's and AMD Athlon XP's etc. run warm.....its normal for them.....as for maximum acceptable temperature for the P4 i believe it is 70 Degrees Celcious...

and general rule of thumb is if its nto crashing/locking up its fine.....just make sure ur case fans r setup correctly (Front is intake fan rear is exhaust fan)....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wasn't too impressed with SOF2 back in the beta testing days, maybe I should get the retail version and take another shot at it...nah, maybe not.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>