  • Microsoft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 17, 2004 1:51:30 PM

GTA Vice City, Splinter Cell, and True Crime Streets of
LA always crash during gameplay. I see the blue screen of
death flicker for a second and then my computer reboots.
The automatic error report thingy has nailed these two
files as the problem:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061704-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\David\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

What do I do?

More about : crashing crashing crashing

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 2:30:29 AM

Here is the other gobbledeegook that the error report
contained. Somebody please help me, this could really be
hurting my computer.

BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
Product : 768_1

Anonymous
June 19, 2004 3:00:49 PM

Hi T Man,

Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :-)

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1de1c01c454f5$5e3440e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| Here is the other gobbledeegook that the error report
| contained. Somebody please help me, this could really be
| hurting my computer.
|
| BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
| BCP3 : 00000001
| BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
| Product : 768_1

June 20, 2004 5:34:19 PM

I did all those things you suggested, and while it did
not solve the problem completely I think it helped. When
Vice City crashed (again) the error report said this was
the problem:

Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)

If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do to
update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
during another crash for True Crime and the error was
this:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
finally nail this thing with these specifics.

Shell / User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>"The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:1de1c01c454f5$5e3440e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>| Here is the other gobbledeegook that the error report
>| contained. Somebody please help me, this could really
be
>| hurting my computer.
>|
>| BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
>| BCP3 : 00000001
>| BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
>| Product : 768_1

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 8:47:51 PM

Hi T Man,

Sounds like you need to download and install a newer
driver for your soundcard. I hope that nails it! :-)

--

"The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1efb801c45705$f68ceba0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
|I did all those things you suggested, and while it did
| not solve the problem completely I think it helped. When
| Vice City crashed (again) the error report said this was
| the problem:
|
| Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)
|
| If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do to
| update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
| during another crash for True Crime and the error was
| this:
|
| DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
|
| Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
| finally nail this thing with these specifics.

| >|
| >| BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
| >| BCP3 : 00000001
| >| BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
| >| Product : 768_1
| >|

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 9:06:16 AM

Got it! It was the audio drivers. Thanks for all the help.

Shell / User
>Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
>Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

>"The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:1efb801c45705$f68ceba0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>|I did all those things you suggested, and while it did
>| not solve the problem completely I think it helped.
When
>| Vice City crashed (again) the error report said this
was
>| the problem:
>|
>| Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)
>|
>| If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do
>| update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
>| during another crash for True Crime and the error was
>| this:
>|
>| DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>|
>| Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
>| finally nail this thing with these specifics.

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 12:57:47 PM

Awesome T Man! Glad that worked!! :-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ff1301c45851$51f32120$a001280a@phx.gbl...
| Got it! It was the audio drivers. Thanks for all the help.

| >|
| >| Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)
| >|
| >| If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do
| >| update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
| >| during another crash for True Crime and the error was
| >| this:
| >|
| >| DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
| >|
| >| Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
| >| finally nail this thing with these specifics.

| >|

| wrote
| >| in message news:1de1c01c454f5$5e3440e0
| $a301280a@phx.gbl...