Crashing, crashing, always crashing!

GTA Vice City, Splinter Cell, and True Crime Streets of
LA always crash during gameplay. I see the blue screen of
death flicker for a second and then my computer reboots.
The automatic error report thingy has nailed these two
files as the problem:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061704-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\David\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

What do I do?
6 answers Last reply
More about crashing crashing crashing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Here is the other gobbledeegook that the error report
    contained. Somebody please help me, this could really be
    hurting my computer.

    BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
    BCP3 : 00000001
    BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
    Product : 768_1

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi T Man,

    Let's try some basic troubleshooting. If the problem still persists
    please post back and we'll try some more steps. Good luck! :-)

    1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
    Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
    Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

    3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
    Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
    require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
    For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1de1c01c454f5$5e3440e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    | Here is the other gobbledeegook that the error report
    | contained. Somebody please help me, this could really be
    | hurting my computer.
    |
    | BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
    | BCP3 : 00000001
    | BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
    | Product : 768_1

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    I did all those things you suggested, and while it did
    not solve the problem completely I think it helped. When
    Vice City crashed (again) the error report said this was
    the problem:

    Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)

    If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do to
    update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
    during another crash for True Crime and the error was
    this:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
    finally nail this thing with these specifics.

    Shell / User
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=sz;en-us;top
    >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
    confer any rights.

    >"The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:1de1c01c454f5$5e3440e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    >| Here is the other gobbledeegook that the error report
    >| contained. Somebody please help me, this could really
    be
    >| hurting my computer.
    >|
    >| BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
    >| BCP3 : 00000001
    >| BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
    >| Product : 768_1

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi T Man,

    Sounds like you need to download and install a newer
    driver for your soundcard. I hope that nails it! :-)

    --

    "The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1efb801c45705$f68ceba0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    |I did all those things you suggested, and while it did
    | not solve the problem completely I think it helped. When
    | Vice City crashed (again) the error report said this was
    | the problem:
    |
    | Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)
    |
    | If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do to
    | update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
    | during another crash for True Crime and the error was
    | this:
    |
    | DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    |
    | Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
    | finally nail this thing with these specifics.

    | >|
    | >| BCCode : d1 BCP1 : FF765000 BCP2 : 00000002
    | >| BCP3 : 00000001
    | >| BCP4 : F6E4D68D OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0
    | >| Product : 768_1
    | >|

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Got it! It was the audio drivers. Thanks for all the help.

    Shell / User
    >Jimmy S.
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
    http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=sz;en-us;top
    >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
    confer any rights.

    >"The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:1efb801c45705$f68ceba0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    >|I did all those things you suggested, and while it did
    >| not solve the problem completely I think it helped.
    When
    >| Vice City crashed (again) the error report said this
    was
    >| the problem:
    >|
    >| Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)
    >|
    >| If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do
    >| update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
    >| during another crash for True Crime and the error was
    >| this:
    >|
    >| DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >|
    >| Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
    >| finally nail this thing with these specifics.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Awesome T Man! Glad that worked!! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "The T Man" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ff1301c45851$51f32120$a001280a@phx.gbl...
    | Got it! It was the audio drivers. Thanks for all the help.

    | >|
    | >| Analog Devices Incorporated audio driver (smwdm.sys)
    | >|
    | >| If it is a driver, I would like to know what I can do
    | >| update or get rid of it. The blue screen also froze
    | >| during another crash for True Crime and the error was
    | >| this:
    | >|
    | >| DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    | >|
    | >| Thank you so much for your help so far, I hope we can
    | >| finally nail this thing with these specifics.

    | >|

    | wrote
    | >| in message news:1de1c01c454f5$5e3440e0
    | $a301280a@phx.gbl...