lee-62

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hi. I have an HP Presario dv9000 laptop operating with Windows Vista home. I recently had Yogi remotely fix a problem, and while in the process of fixing it the tech brought up a screen from my system 32 files that showed a bunch of "error" entries. I was told that they were why my computer is so slow (I had commented that my computer was like me - old and slow). The tech then continued fixing the problem I needed fixed at the time. Before he logged out, he tried to sell me an expensive service of theirs and told me if I bought it, they could fix all of my registry problems including the system 32 files. I am retired, living on a fixed income and can't afford the money he wanted. My question is, is there any way I can do the fix myself, or is there a program out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that I can buy to fix the problem? Bear in mind that I can operate my computer, but I can't talk to it the way you guys do. :(

wee beastie

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
hi lee-62 go to command prompt in either system tools or accessories click run as ministrator it will bring up a black screen type in chkdsk /f it will tell you it cant run at present if you type in y and then type exit on the next line it will exit all you have to do is restart your computer and it will run chkdsk /f and fix any files damaged by replacing them if you have problems leave a note wee beastie