Renaming Profile folder name WinXP Home

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 5, 2005 3:11:53 AM

I searched for this on Google and found things that I could probably
understand if I were a trained IT person. I'm just a preacher.

I would like to change the name of my profile folder under the Docs/settings
folder to match my laptop. The Desktop has the generic "owner" that shows
up after hard drive restoration with my restore disk. I should have created
a new profile when I did this, but I forgot and reinstalled everything into
the Owner folder.

I realize that I cannot just rename the folder due to reg settings. How can
I achieve this.

My reason is that when I use Settings Backup Wizard in MS Office the files
go into the wrong folder.

--
BigK wrote this.

This message is shareware.
If you read it, please send $100.

More about : renaming profile folder winxp home

August 5, 2005 3:11:54 AM

BigK wrote:

> I searched for this on Google and found things that I could probably
> understand if I were a trained IT person. I'm just a preacher.
>
> I would like to change the name of my profile folder under the Docs/settings
> folder to match my laptop. The Desktop has the generic "owner" that shows
> up after hard drive restoration with my restore disk. I should have created
> a new profile when I did this, but I forgot and reinstalled everything into
> the Owner folder.
>
> I realize that I cannot just rename the folder due to reg settings. How can
> I achieve this.
>
> My reason is that when I use Settings Backup Wizard in MS Office the files
> go into the wrong folder.

The only way to do this is to create a new user with the name you want,
then copy the settings from the old profile. After it's copied, delete
the old one.

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks, I will try your instructions. Appreciate your service to us
neophytes.

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> BigK wrote:
>
>> I searched for this on Google and found things that I could probably
>> understand if I were a trained IT person. I'm just a preacher.
>>
>> I would like to change the name of my profile folder under the
>> Docs/settings folder to match my laptop. The Desktop has the generic
>> "owner" that shows up after hard drive restoration with my restore disk.
>> I should have created a new profile when I did this, but I forgot and
>> reinstalled everything into the Owner folder.
>>
>> I realize that I cannot just rename the folder due to reg settings. How
>> can I achieve this.
>>
>> My reason is that when I use Settings Backup Wizard in MS Office the
>> files go into the wrong folder.
>>

> The only way to do this is to create a new user with the name you want,
> then copy the settings from the old profile. After it's copied, delete
> the old one.
>
> How to Copy a User Profile
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Related resources
August 6, 2005 1:32:38 AM

BigK wrote:
> Thanks, I will try your instructions. Appreciate your service to us
> neophytes.
>

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>BigK wrote:
>>

>>>I searched for this on Google and found things that I could probably
>>>understand if I were a trained IT person. I'm just a preacher.
>>>
>>>I would like to change the name of my profile folder under the
>>>Docs/settings folder to match my laptop. The Desktop has the generic
>>>"owner" that shows up after hard drive restoration with my restore disk.
>>>I should have created a new profile when I did this, but I forgot and
>>>reinstalled everything into the Owner folder.
>>>
>>>I realize that I cannot just rename the folder due to reg settings. How
>>>can I achieve this.
>>>
>>>My reason is that when I use Settings Backup Wizard in MS Office the
>>>files go into the wrong folder.
>>>

>>The only way to do this is to create a new user with the name you want,
>>then copy the settings from the old profile. After it's copied, delete
>>the old one.
>>
>>How to Copy a User Profile
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You're welcome. Good luck

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Man did I mess up. You had a "note" below the instructions that said don't
copy till you've logged into the new profile. I didn't read that until
after I did it. You might want to include in the actual instructions to log
off and then log onto the new profile before proceeding.

Anyway, I basically just backed up my old profile to a Temp folder. Created
a temp profile and then deleted all the rest of the profiles and then
created the one I wanted, logged into it and copied all the stuff from the
backup. But I still had to go back and reapply my personalization's.

Isn't there a way to copy all of that too?

!