Renaming Profile folder name WinXP Home

I searched for this on Google and found things that I could probably
understand if I were a trained IT person. I'm just a preacher.

I would like to change the name of my profile folder under the Docs/settings
folder to match my laptop. The Desktop has the generic "owner" that shows
up after hard drive restoration with my restore disk. I should have created
a new profile when I did this, but I forgot and reinstalled everything into
the Owner folder.

I realize that I cannot just rename the folder due to reg settings. How can
I achieve this.

My reason is that when I use Settings Backup Wizard in MS Office the files
go into the wrong folder.

--
BigK wrote this.

This message is shareware.
If you read it, please send $100.
4 answers Last reply
More about renaming profile folder winxp home

    BigK wrote:

    > I searched for this on Google and found things that I could probably
    > understand if I were a trained IT person. I'm just a preacher.
    >
    > I would like to change the name of my profile folder under the Docs/settings
    > folder to match my laptop. The Desktop has the generic "owner" that shows
    > up after hard drive restoration with my restore disk. I should have created
    > a new profile when I did this, but I forgot and reinstalled everything into
    > the Owner folder.
    >
    > I realize that I cannot just rename the folder due to reg settings. How can
    > I achieve this.
    >
    > My reason is that when I use Settings Backup Wizard in MS Office the files
    > go into the wrong folder.

    The only way to do this is to create a new user with the name you want,
    then copy the settings from the old profile. After it's copied, delete
    the old one.

    How to Copy a User Profile
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks, I will try your instructions. Appreciate your service to us
    neophytes.

    BigK wrote:
    > Thanks, I will try your instructions. Appreciate your service to us
    > neophytes.
    >

    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>BigK wrote:
    >>

    >>>I searched for this on Google and found things that I could probably
    >>>understand if I were a trained IT person. I'm just a preacher.
    >>>
    >>>I would like to change the name of my profile folder under the
    >>>Docs/settings folder to match my laptop. The Desktop has the generic
    >>>"owner" that shows up after hard drive restoration with my restore disk.
    >>>I should have created a new profile when I did this, but I forgot and
    >>>reinstalled everything into the Owner folder.
    >>>
    >>>I realize that I cannot just rename the folder due to reg settings. How
    >>>can I achieve this.
    >>>
    >>>My reason is that when I use Settings Backup Wizard in MS Office the
    >>>files go into the wrong folder.
    >>>

    >>The only way to do this is to create a new user with the name you want,
    >>then copy the settings from the old profile. After it's copied, delete
    >>the old one.
    >>
    >>How to Copy a User Profile
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You're welcome. Good luck

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Man did I mess up. You had a "note" below the instructions that said don't
    copy till you've logged into the new profile. I didn't read that until
    after I did it. You might want to include in the actual instructions to log
    off and then log onto the new profile before proceeding.

    Anyway, I basically just backed up my old profile to a Temp folder. Created
    a temp profile and then deleted all the rest of the profiles and then
    created the one I wanted, logged into it and copied all the stuff from the
    backup. But I still had to go back and reapply my personalization's.

    Isn't there a way to copy all of that too?

    > BigK wrote:
    >> Thanks, I will try your instructions. Appreciate your service to us
    >> neophytes.
    >>

    >> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>>The only way to do this is to create a new user with the name you want,
    >>>then copy the settings from the old profile. After it's copied, delete
    >>>the old one.
    >>>
    >>>How to Copy a User Profile
    >>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
    >>>
    >>>--