tbrinin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
I recently built my first computer. It was something that I had been wanting to do for a while but had always found a reason to put off, usually concerning cash and need. I had very few problems and everything seemed to be going great but I ran into two minor issues.

System Specs
Case: Antec Server Tower Plus 1080AMG (430 watt power supply)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Intel 850 Chipset
Chip: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz retail (came with fan and heat sink)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

First Problem: I have six fans in the tower, including the power supply fan and CPU fan. The gigabyte board came with gigabyte Easy Tuner 4, a utility to track fan rpms, heat of system and allow for overclocking. I have not overclocked my system or have any intention to in the near future. Easy Tuner 4 is telling me that the CPU fan is running at to high of an rpm, normally between 2500 and 2700 rpms. Is this really too high, as the fan and heat sink came with the Intel chip? Have I installed it wrong? Is there anything I can do to bring the rpms down? The CPU temp stays consistently in the 90's F.

Second Problem: The system will not turn off. Whenever I tell it to shut down it will restart itself. I am not selecting the restart option. Whenever I use the power button on the front of the Antec case it will also restart itself. The only way for me to shut the system down without a restart is to use the power switch on the back of the case. Any ideas on what is wrong with the computer and how I can get the system to shut down properly when I tell it to?

Thank you for your help. Besides these two problems the install went smooth thanks to the information contained on these boards. You all convinced me that it would be possible for me to be successful.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) I don't know why Gigabyte would report that fan speed as being too high, because that's actually quite low. Intel fans spin so much slower than many aftermarket units that some boards used to give a "low fan speed" warning. Also, you low temperature is admirable, but everyone in here speaks metric, so it's what, around 28C? You're OK to about 55C, you have a lot of room to play.
2.) This sounds like an ACPI issue. Someone might give you a fix, but I can tell you this-holding the power button for around 10 seconds should also turn it off.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tbrinin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
Thank you for the quick reply. It is greatly appreciated. In metric the temp holds around 34 C for the CPU.

Holding the power button in for ten seconds will not turn the machine off. It will only restart it.

voidedwarrenty

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
On some BIOS configs there is a setting to restart when shutdown, thats the only thing I can think of. I would suggest that you look in the power settings section of your BIOS. The restart instead of shutdown should not be default. So that might not be the problem.
Good luck..
and yah, if you stay in the 30's C on your CPU, thats a very good thing.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
On easytune4 you set your own alarm levels. On the upper left hand corner there's and H you can click on that gives system paramaters just below it there's an s. That tab allows you to configure the alarms to suit your system.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s=8ae8909977d596e59e0ac8260313c4d0" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Your in the wrong thread dude......

and besides theres many things that affect that...Room Temperature...Case Temp....Northbridge Temp......Heatsink & Fan combination....paste or TIM or no paste....case fans..where how many and what are they doing.......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Rolandbl

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Thanx - and I think youre right. The whole thing is probably just my weak power supply... Only 250W... I have 2 HDD, 2 CD ROM/CDRW, USB wireless keyboard, USB wireless mouse, A PCMCIA PCI adapter, G4 Ti 4200, a USB Webcam, and a USB Palm-cradle.... I guess I should have a better Power supply.....?

It might be powerdrain that locks down the CPU....

I guess I should have a better Power supply.....?
300Watts MINIMUM for what you're running, I'd get around 350Watts to cover everything you're running and give yourself some leeway.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

The system will not turn off. Whenever I tell it to shut down it will restart itself.
Go into the CMOS setup screen, write down your current CMOS settings, then shutdown the machine, unplug the machine, clear the CMOS, check your manual for how its done on your M/B, most of the time its a jumper, sometimes solder points to short, repower the machine after clearing the CMOS, and you'll be prompted to re-enter the CMOS setup to reset the settings, just set the date and time, and proper FSB, and re-disable any onboard things you weren't using like, Sound or Lan, and let the M/B come up in the default settings mode, then try a shutdown, if it shutsdown, your CMOS configuration is causing your problems.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.