Sign in with
Your question

Small rant, AMD installation of HSFs

Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2003 3:35:23 AM

Ok so today, I actually converted a very Intel-oriented friend to get a cheap XP2000+ system for his uncle. I was pretty amazed that he was open minded. He did make it clear that if he finds the system running well, his look on AMD will change for sure.

So for the first time, I saw an AMD retail HSF installation in front of me. The HSF was relatively small, 60mm, aluminum most likely. It's a cheap one. Seriously, it did not take 5 seconds, the clips were in place with a flat head screw, and at that point I thought of all the relative losers who simply cannot read instructions, and learn how to install an HSF properly. I was of course commenting that AMD should still go for Intel's retention mechanism, but was amazed at the ignorance level some people have that created such a bad reputation for AMD. The HSF was EASY to install, the level of pressure the screw had to give was not apparent, it fit in easily, the core was far from the HSF's crushing pressure, and the system booted just fine.
The noise level of the retail fan was not very high, at least it was not the high pitched one the Intel cooler has. That's the kind I don't like. It was more Volcano 7 level, seems more "high pitch" filtered, albeit it ran at a high ~4500RPM. The cooling?
Well, don't expect any 80mm retail Intel fan 2200RPM performance, but, after remembering to set the FSB to 133 (unfortunatly Asus' A7N8X fails to show the true clock speed on the POST, compared to my Epox 8KHA+), and turning on Antec's included 120mm case exhaust fan from their nice SLK3700 Mid tower case (included!), the system ran at around 45ºC, which is not too bad for an end of the line 0.18m AthlonXP 2000+.

What stands out of all this however is simply the fact that I really find that AMD is given such a bad reputation because of the amount of people who think they are apt to install CPUs and HSFs but get halfway there and they crack it, or can't figure out that if the CPU fan does not spin when turning on the computer when everything else does, friggin unplug it or turn it off!

My conclusion for those who were asking lately on Retail performance:
CPU AMD AthlonXP 2000+ Malaysia AGOIA at 45º idle WITH one 120MM exhaust and an Antec SmartPower 350W dual fan. However Antec added the big fan, likely because their case has no side air holes, therefore you need major compensation with the back.
Retail HSF noise level= slightly more noisy than the Intel HSF, albeit not a high pitched tone one.
Cooling performance: Just good enough for a home user, definitly not recommended for power users.
Retail cooling level: 4500RPM, small 60mm fan.

Thus ends my rant, in hope those new comers to AMD will please, read the damn lovely colorfully printed manual that comes with Retail boxed AMDs (I suppose it could come with OEM, though I doubt it), which I am surprised they bothered to color it for you newbies, compared to Intel's rather weak instructions booklet for CPU and HSF installation.
Please, if you don't know how to do it, have someone do it in front of you then try, or read a manual carefully, and be informed of all the security procedures before turning the system on finally.

END RANT.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 01/26/03 00:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 26, 2003 4:25:31 AM

Here Here to Eden!!

Im telling u installing HSF's and removing them r a breeze i dunno WTF is up with sum ppl. within the last 3 days ive popped on and off my HSF like 11 times tryign different pastes....HSF's etc just to test to see the best combinations and its funyn cuz i STILL dont have a friggin chip ne where on my core....thats on my T-Bred 1800+ @ 2000+..

my AXP 1600+ Palomino ive taken on and off the and the MANY different HSF's off that thing....liek WAY more than 50 times literalyl and theres still no chips/cracks etc. AND ive never even once remotely scored a motherboard with the screwdriver so it really makes me think what some of these people actually do or if they realize how to do anything in the first place.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2003 4:44:24 AM

I have a Coolermaster cooler here that is NOT easy to remove. A straight screwdriver won't do it. Maybe I should bend one. IT hits the fan, and the fan is a bitch to remove and has a plastic ring under it. I use two screwdrivers, one to push the tab down and the other to pry it out. Not AMD's fault, but I did chip a core (still works).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
January 26, 2003 4:53:23 AM

I lost count of how many times ive changes HSF on AMD's ive sold now, ive never chipped one or had any problems. Unless you install it with your feet or something i cant see it being too hard. However i HATE them anyway, just the idea of the all the pressure on such a small area can be unerving at times.
Many the HSF vary ive found, some of the bracets are relatively lose making it easy to instal but some are horribly stiff and it feels like you need to put your full body weight onto the screwdriver to get it in. Its times like those you start to worry.
January 26, 2003 10:53:28 AM

Get a brad puller (I think that's what they're called). It's a screw driver that's bent at oh maybe 30 deg.s & has a little v cut in the blade. Works great.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!! Trouble comes with the things you forget or overlook along the way that make it not so fun!!
January 26, 2003 12:30:22 PM

You can also use a 1'4" socket screw driver with a small socket on it. It grasps the retaining clip securely and there's no possibility of it slipping off and damaging the board.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
January 26, 2003 1:03:40 PM

I do agree that there is some nervous feeling when putting them, however I looked at the tall round pads and it really did show that you got little chance of crushing a core, since the HSF should be elevated enough until the socket clips are in place.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2003 6:59:24 PM

Yes, that is probably called a brad puller, as those little tiny nails are called brads.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 26, 2003 7:45:46 PM

I think people repeat, believe(?) without much thought, what they read and hear. Do you remember people who wrote they wanted to get a P4 because their Athlon was heating their air conditioned room to an uncomfortable temperature? The Athlon puts out less heat than an 100 watt light bulb...

"Just the facts ma'am"
a c 99 à CPUs
January 26, 2003 8:40:54 PM

Its extremely easy when the M/Bs out of the case, it becomes more difficult when the M/Bs mounted in the case and clearance becomes an issue, mainly because when you exert the downward pressure the M/B flexes downward under the pressure, thats easily solved by sliding a rubber spacer between the M/B and mounting plate, to support the M/B, at the socket area where you'll be putting pressure, makes all the difference in the world to the ease of installation. The 45c temp you got, increases by about 10c or more under intense gameplay though, the main reason I don't use the stock cooler.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
a c 99 à CPUs
January 26, 2003 8:45:27 PM

Quote:
You can also use a 1'4" socket screw driver with a small socket on it. It grasps the retaining clip securely and there's no possibility of it slipping off and damaging the board.

1/4" Socket Screwdriver

<b>EXCELLENT TIP</b>

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
January 26, 2003 9:52:40 PM

It does seem trange, as to how much yopu have to push on them, but it doest hurt the chip.

I would prefer an easier method to be more comon (like the spring/screw method).

When my buddy just got the parts for his new XP system (and upgrade from a slot athlon) I had a chuckle seing him sweat putting the heatsink on. But I knew it would be fine as I had him read the directions (stock 1700 TbredA).

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>
January 26, 2003 10:29:46 PM

Although we weren't sweating, being the first time I see an AMD HSF installation, though I was not putting it myself, I did get nervous, mainly and mostly due to the precautions of the HSF should not touch the socket, and the contact surface should be straight on the pads over the core, and when the clips were to be inserted in, to watch it for not leaning on one side of the cooler, hence crushing the packaging. But as it turned out, surprisingly the pads really do a great job keeping the HSF intact and straight when inserting the clips into place with the flat head screwdriver.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
January 26, 2003 11:23:39 PM

I never crushed a core myself, but with almost all the clips, 1 or 3 prong, I slipped my screwdriver on two such occaisons. Once it hit a null area on the PCB, but the other time, I chipped a power regulation resistor on my Soyo motherboard, which killed it. Thank RMA's hehe ^__^

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
January 27, 2003 12:24:36 AM

Yes Pulling off the HSF is very easy. I prefer Athlon's heatsinks with a 3 prong clip like the TT V7+ as opposed to the single clip design in the TT V7, and most HSF's prior to it.
January 27, 2003 12:40:42 AM

Yeah that also came to my mind, in terms of how slippery are the metallic clip handles.

--
January 27, 2003 6:53:22 AM

Although it's very difficult if not impossible to screw up the installation if you've read the instructions, I have to be honest and say that I hate clipping the HSF in place. It makes me nervous every time. I actually slipped last time and hit the motherboard. It still worked, but I nearly had a heart attack.

Buy the special screw driver to at least minimize that problem.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>
January 27, 2003 9:35:32 AM

I think we've all done it at some point. You know, you're at that most difficult part, and the screwdriver slips and you think <b>F**K!!!!</b>. I hate that part of the installation, always worries me, even tho I've done it dozens of times.

Makes you wonder why AMD now include the noddy's guide to installing. Maybe they got sick of all the "faulty" [cough] CPU's that they kept getting back
January 27, 2003 10:40:13 AM

Is there an image of that special screw driver that I could see?

--
January 27, 2003 4:13:02 PM

ive had the screwdriver slip, causing it to jab the PCB

this caused me to piss my pants, to say the least... after removig my pants i proceeded to jump around and emit little high pitched squeels while pulling my hair out...the mobo was ok im glad to say

so yeah, have the proper tools when doin that shat, especially a screwdriver that wedges nicely in the little fasteners on teh side of the HSF
January 28, 2003 1:09:21 PM

Duckbill pliers - straight and angled. They have a flat, blunt nose. Better than regular needlenose pliers for many things.

Great for heatsinks, shorting blocks, fan connectors, front panel LED connectors, etc. Anyplace where your fat fingers will not fit.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SK-17828.html
http://www.jensentools.com/product/group.asp?parent_id=...

They can also be found at most fishermans supply stores.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek: 
January 28, 2003 7:20:17 PM

Is that the tool some were refering to here?
It sure does not look like a thing to use to push down the metal clips.

--
January 28, 2003 9:19:12 PM

Get a Swiftec MCX370. You use screws to load springs. There is no prying at all.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
January 28, 2003 10:06:12 PM

What freaks me out is a friend of mine who is constantly bitching about crushing his Duron back in the day.

I'm not the most gentle cpu placer in the world, and I've never harmed a processor, ever. Hell, an old 486 100mhz had half it's pins bent, so I took a pair of plyers to it's ass.

Some people, ugg

It's all good ^_^
January 28, 2003 11:57:12 PM

A while ago I installed a retail AMD 2000+ onto an MSI board. I took *quite a lot* of pressure to fit that metal bar over the hook. Other than that, it wasn't a problem to install.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holyshiznit on 01/28/03 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!