retrieve the license key from the Windows XP CD

Archived from groups: comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have Windows XP CD, but I couldn't find the license key and the key
is not printed on the CD. Are there any ways to retrieve the license
key from the Windows XP CD?

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm is not an
appropriate tool in my case, because I am not retrieving the key from
the machine, but from a CD.

Please advise. thanks!!

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have Windows XP CD, but I couldn't find the license key and the key
> is not printed on the CD. Are there any ways to retrieve the license
> key from the Windows XP CD?
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
> http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm is not an
> appropriate tool in my case, because I am not retrieving the key from
> the machine, but from a CD.
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

The CD key is not embedded in the CD. The CD is not unique. It will
work with any CD key of that class, ie a retail XP Home key will work
with any retail XP Home CD.

If it's OEM then you'll need to contact the vendor you got it from for a
key. If it's retail see this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

First of all compare your product with Microsoft's website whether you are a
victim of piracy.
Is your XP of Professional edition?
Then go here
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/re/2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5.mspx

If Home edition go here
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/re/a9d2c448-eb05-4a2b-a062-9c711c533e0c.mspx

Check whether the seal and cd appearance are alike with any of those shown.

If you find that you have not got the genuine copy report piracy here
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/what.aspx

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"jrefactors@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I have Windows XP CD, but I couldn't find the license key and the key
> is not printed on the CD. Are there any ways to retrieve the license
> key from the Windows XP CD?
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
> http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm is not an
> appropriate tool in my case, because I am not retrieving the key from
> the machine, but from a CD.
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

Archived from groups: comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If it's the CD that put XP on your computer, Belarc Advisor will reveal the
ProductKey.

www.belarc.com

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

<jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP CD, but I couldn't find the license key and the key
> is not printed on the CD. Are there any ways to retrieve the license
> key from the Windows XP CD?
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
> http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm is not an
> appropriate tool in my case, because I am not retrieving the key from
> the machine, but from a CD.
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

Archived from groups: comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have Windows XP CD, but I couldn't find the license key and the key
> is not printed on the CD. Are there any ways to retrieve the license
> key from the Windows XP CD?
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
> http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_retrieve_windows_cd_key.htm is not an
> appropriate tool in my case, because I am not retrieving the key from
> the machine, but from a CD.
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

>"jrefactors@hotmail.com" wrote:

>> I have Windows XP CD, but I couldn't find the license key and the key
>> is not printed on the CD. Are there any ways to retrieve the license
>> key from the Windows XP CD?

Not from the CD, no, because CDs are mass-produced and thus do not
contain unique product keys. What they have is an algorithm to verify
whether a putative key is appropriate or not, and that can vary
between different CD production runs. So a "retail upgrade" CD may
reject an "OEM" key, an SP2 CD may reject an SP1 key, etc.

You can however retrieve the key from the installation on hard drive,
assuming that installation still lives. Several tools will do that,
such as NirSoft's key ProduKey lister, AIDA32system info, etc.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope