Gangster

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I saw a great deal on an Athlon XP 1700+ CPU online friday, and decided to go for it. It was REALLY cheap, less than a 1300MHz Duron, so I bought it just in case something should happen with my current CPU (which is overclocked quite a bit). It was displayed on the website as a Palomino 1700+ (1466MHz), but is there really a way to find out if it´s actually a T-bred, without taking the HSF off and looking at the core? I didn´t really check before mounting the HSF, but the CPU is completely un-locked, runs at 1.5 vcore on auto, and 133MHz FSB standard, but can run at 166MHz FSB. I havn´t tested higher, my memory is only PC2100. I´ve tested in Sandra and 3Dmark, Sandra displays it as an Athlon XP1700+, 3Dmark as a Thoroughbred. Is there really any difference between the two?

Gangster

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Is it wrong of the company to sell it as an Athlon Palomino 1700+? Is there a real difference between the two, besides the lower voltage? Is there any disadvantage in getting an early model Thoroughbred, instead of a real Palomino?

In short: Should I complain, or is this okay?

It´s either not a real T-bred, or the differences between the Palomino 1700+ and T-bred 1700+ is only minimal. If not I don´t think the store would have sold it at that price and called it Palomino.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
The 2 run the same (dont know how they overclock differently). Lower voltage usualy means lower temps, and thats ok in my book. :smile:

The palimino was the first version of the XP, it has a larger core, and runs at a higher voltage (~1.7, 1.75). The T-bred is a newer process, runs the same speed, and has a smaller core and lower voltage. You just got the newer version, and I would be happy in that case.

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

[edit]Spelling errors..(Dame whole language learning)[/edit]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lonemagi on 01/26/03 02:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Ok first off if anything...the Store ripped themselves off........

The T-Bred XP's of lower speed grades r supposed to seel for a bit more than there Palomino coutnerparts....

as far as performance goes a Palomino 1700+ will perform EXACTLY the same as a T-Bred 1700+ the only difference is the T-Bred 1700+ will run cooler....use less wattage/voltage...and has a smaller die size (its got 0.13Micron Process vs the Palomino 0.18Micron process)

Your T-Bred WILL overclock more than a Palomino 1700+ could ever as its already got less heat....less voltage and a LOT more headroom (0.13Micron vs 0.18 on Palomino) so indeed you shoudl be HAPPY not pissed that the store sold u thw wrong chip or whatever.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Gangster

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
OK - thanks for the info guys and girls, I´m keeping this baby. I thought it was a Palomino since it´s running at 133MHz FSB on auto, never really thought about the 1,5 vcore. I guess it was a major NOOB error not to check the CPU before installing it, but I´m okay now. THANKS!!!

eden

Champion
Yeah in fact he should go outside the store showing his chip, singing how they ripped themselves hehehe.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: